How to break the news?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Gus McCrae

No sir, I ain't.
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 25, 2009
    Colorado
    My wife is oblivious to what I own....actually,she doesn't care. She has what she has and that's all she'll keep track off. She can't keep up with me and she quit doing that a long time ago. As long as the elusive "gun money" doesn't run out and I don't start tapping the general account,she won't know or care what I do. Now,if you're wife is like mine....why bother telling her at all?

Actually, she'll know because the money comes out of the same account. We have separate fun money accounts that I wouldn't have to justify, but it doesn't get as much input as I would like. :o

RedStickChick

-Global Mod-
    Premium Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 6, 2012
    Baton Rouge
    I broke the news about my gun that I purchased earlier this year to my dad last week. He took it better than I expected.

Compliments? Flowers? Note any recent purchases she's made?

Good luck!

Last edited:

jdindadell

Not Banned!!!
    Rating - 100%
    267   0   1
    Feb 14, 2010
    Slidell
    Wwo, you guys are going about this the completely wrong way.

1st, you need to explain how a "good gun purchase" works in everyone's favor. Guns generally go up in value (unless you buy junk, or buy from Bass Pro), so they should be viewed as an investment.

I know my wife was skeptical at first, but after she kept track of a few months of purchases, sales and especially the trades she got it.

I also have a "gun fund" that I generally keep filled with sales of non gun items that I already have. I do some side work as well. My wife handles all of the bills and general money stuff, i handle savings, as i am a moneyu nazi when it comes to saving. I guess that is cause I am part Scottish...

Anyways, you may also use the following to "temper" a potential purchase. If you want a gun (need goes out the window after you have a few dozen anyways, this also applies to womens shoes) step back and make sure you have explored every avenue to save yourself money on said gun. If you think it is even slightly overpriced step away. This will keep you from making snaop decisions that could come back to bite you. Works great for me, I have less than actual value in every gun that I own. I never buy new guns though, if you have a fetish about new stuff i cannot help you.

The only time I can see a lady getting mad about a sensible gun pruchase is if you spend the mortgage/vacation money on it. Decent women can be very logical creatures (can also be hard to find if you look in the wrong places). About half of my customer base are female, and I prefer them to men most of the time (business dealings, not personal, I am all women in that category) as women generally want to be informed, and will claim ignorance instead of lying about knowledge.

Communication between the sexes is an art... I have my good days and my bad days like anyone else...

jdindadell

Not Banned!!!
    Rating - 100%
    267   0   1
    Feb 14, 2010
    Slidell
    This 100%. I haven't "bought" a gun in years. My wife either can't count for ****, or must think I'm a hell of a trader considering I've only "bought" 3 guns yet the safe is full.

I have met your Wife speed, she seemed very nice. Maybe she is just letting you do your own thing. I am guessing your gun hobby is not causing problems at home. I bet as long as it stays like that she will not be worried about what you are doing.

I am now guessing that you will tell me I may have met your wife but I have no idea how she treats you behind closed doors!!!

My wife just lets me go. She learned that I "like" to argue too much, and i guess she picks her battles. Making the bed (i am last out) has been the main topic recently, I am trying to milk that one for a few years to divert attention from any of my other short comings... HAHAHA

kcinnick

Training Ferrous Metal
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Dec 24, 2008
    Baton Rouge
    My wife doesn't worry about single box packages any longer, she gets antsy when a truck pulls up and starts to open the lift gate.

I can't wait for the day that there is a crate of guns on that lift gate! Someday.

SeventhSon

Evil Conservative
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 30, 2008
    Slidell
    This 100%. I haven't "bought" a gun in years. My wife either can't count for ****, or must think I'm a hell of a trader considering I've only "bought" 3 guns yet the safe is full.

My wife once asked "why can't you trade for something I like?". Lol. My answer was "baby, these are gun guys. They don't HAVE anything you'd like.".

Top Bottom