HOW TO DETERMINE VALUE OF FIREARM

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • gejshooter

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 21, 2024
    Mandeville
    Please offer suggestions for how to place a value on a firearm. This is so I can determine an asking price for firearms I want to sell. I have looked at this and other forums and searched history to get an approximate value. I also looked at Armslist and Gun Broker, but the values on those sites seem inflated. Thanks.

Mitch Dufour

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2009
    Ruston
    Gunbroker SOLD auctions are fantastic snap shots of the NATIONAL selling price of active buyers. Take into consideration that Gunbroker auctions involve taxes, shipping, and ffl fees on both ends. Adjusting up or down for local markets is the tricky part.

Another consideration is TIME. Are you ready to sell today? Maybe adjust the price down. Don't mind bumping it to the top for several months? Swing for the fences. What ever direction you take, good luck and make sure you gather fingerprints and dna samples of the buyer.

Magdump

Don’t troll me bro!
    Rating - 100%
    163   0   0
    Dec 31, 2013
    Hammond, Louisiana
    I think I have to be a member of gun broker to do that. Isn’t GunBroker a pay site? Don’t I have to pay to be a member?
    They’re like EBay, but for guns and such. They charge you when you sell. One reason why prices are so high on there, sellers pay a percentage (actually, the buyer pays it if you think about it).

SwampyDog

certified gun nut
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 3, 2012
    Killian
    Blue Book of Gun Values. Can be found at Cabela's and Bass Pro. It contains a very useful guide for grading conditions along with several hundred pages of information. For some of the older guns with little to no footprint on the internet I've found it to be exceedingly helpful.

Mitch Dufour

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2009
    Ruston
    Blue Book of Gun Values.....
    They also have an online version for a yearly fee. I find the data informative for historical purposes, but they generally don't reflect short term conditions that can cause price spikes.

Speaking if short term ,time of year you sell can influence how much you can get. Every one buying kids shoes to get them off to school? Maybe wait a few weeks to sell that hunting rifle.

340six

-Global Mod-
    Staff member
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Apr 12, 2012
    Kenner, La
    They’re like EBay, but for guns and such. They charge you when you sell. One reason why prices are so high on there, sellers pay a percentage (actually, the buyer pays it if you think about it).
    They now charge a seller and buyers fee. Been that way awhile now

Blackhawk

Blackhawk
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 3, 2008
    Pollock LA
    While looking at Gunbroker SOLD items is the traditional way of looking for current values, there is another site that pulls the info from multiple sources. Go to

https://truegunvalue.com/pistol/colt-gold-cup-national-match/price-historical-value

And insert the firearm you are looking for information on. In the example above I searched for info on a Colt Gold Cup 1911 and it listed both For Sale items and also Sold items.

hotbiggun

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 25, 2023
    Louisiana
    If its a gun still in production just look at the current price from a competitive gun dealer. If its in good condition subtract 25 percent or so. If it has optics, sell them seperatley.

JBP55

La. CHP Instructor #409
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    338   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Walker
    If its a gun still in production just look at the current price from a competitive gun dealer. If its in good condition subtract 25 percent or so. If it has optics, sell them seperatley.

I have some unfired NIB Pistols that I will not sell for 25% below cost or $200 less than I paid for them and I do not see anyone on this forum selling their NIB pistols for 25% below cost.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    kjstang02
    Top Bottom