How to register a Short Barrel Rifle in Louisiana

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Tfurn30

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 8, 2013
    Prairieville, LA
    Just had to go through this process. I had no clue where to start but got alot of help from mouthpiece. Done in 3 days, nough said!
    You da man mouthpiece!

Gunfighter

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 13, 2012
    Baton Rouge
    I currently have a standard bushmaster AR with 16" barrel upper. I want to get a short barrel upper for this lower. I figure the paperwork is the same but what about the engraving? What exactly has to be engraved?

Lafsnguy

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 11, 2009
    Lafayette
    I currently have a standard bushmaster AR with 16" barrel upper. I want to get a short barrel upper for this lower. I figure the paperwork is the same but what about the engraving? What exactly has to be engraved?

You would have to engrave the name on the form 1 and the city state you or the entity is located. So if you used a trust in Lafayette LA and it was ABC trust you would have to engrave

ABC Trust
    Lafayette, LA

03protege

#1 Stevel Spell II fan
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Nov 20, 2008
    Mandeville
    You would have to engrave the name on the form 1 and the city state you or the entity is located. So if you used a trust in Lafayette LA and it was ABC trust you would have to engrave

ABC Trust
    Lafayette, LA

If you move do have to cross out the old city/state and put the new one or does it just go by when it was created?

Lafsnguy

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 11, 2009
    Lafayette
    No it stays the same. Think of it as the manufacturers engraving on a rifle. Just because a S&W plant moves they don't have to change the engraving for rifles they made there. Same thing applies here. Basically you are the manufacturer of a NFA weapon and have to put your information on it just like any other manufacturer.

swampfoxx

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 15, 2014
    Ponchatoula, LA
    The links referred to on page 2 are dead. I am confused. Why am I registering as a firearms manufacturer? Do I put my name or the trust name in the Name of Owner line? What about the trade or business name? Do I have to list all of the trustees in the middle section?

Thanks

Last edited:

Lafsnguy

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 11, 2009
    Lafayette
    Don't have to fill out state paperwork anymore. If you have a trust, LLC or Corp go here

https://www.atfonline.gov/EForms

register with them and fill out the form 1 with your trust,LLC or Corp info.

If your applying as an individual you will need to print out 2 copies of the form 1 front and back on the same sheet of paper. Fill out with your information attach photographs get CLEO signature get two fingerprint cards and send that all in with a 200 check and an ATF form 5330-20 to the ATF and then wait. If you have some questions give me a call I can help walk you through the process.

rdm227

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 4, 2012
    Prairieville
    If you need a trust contact Mouthpiece on here. I think JC Cypress might also do trusts. Search the forum and you can find the right people. Lafsnguy is also a good source for silencers. Both guys were great to work with.

swampfoxx

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 15, 2014
    Ponchatoula, LA
    Two more questions:

When I file my Form 1 do I need to include the entire 19 pages of the trust, including the notarized signatures of all of the trustees, or just the 4 pages making up the Certification of Trust/Declaration of Trust?

On my assignment page, do I just put the S/N of the lower, or will ATF assign me a new number for the SBR?

Thanks in advance.

Last edited:

YoungMarine

Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Dec 4, 2013
    W. Feliciana
    I attached my entire trust, granted it was only 7 or 8 pages. On attachment page I listed make, model, serial, and date off addition of the lower to the trust. The e-file picture step by step instructions shown on ar15.com are very helpful. My first was approved with no errors using that guide.

swampfoxx

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 15, 2014
    Ponchatoula, LA
    Sorry to be a PITA, but I have another question. I currently have my 10.5" upper on a pistol lower. For the SBR, I will use a rifle lower so I can just switch the upper to whichever lower I choose at will. I know that you cannot have a VFG on a pistol (AFG is OK) without making it an AOW. When I have the upper on the SBR lower, can I add a VFG?

YoungMarine

Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Dec 4, 2013
    W. Feliciana
    Sorry to be a PITA, but I have another question. I currently have my 10.5" upper on a pistol lower. For the SBR, I will use a rifle lower so I can just switch the upper to whichever lower I choose at will. I know that you cannot have a VFG on a pistol (AFG is OK) without making it an AOW. When I have the upper on the SBR lower, can I add a VFG?

Once the tax stamp is approved for sbr you will be able to add your vertical foregrip. Also, don't forget about having your lower receiver engraved.

Top Bottom