Hughes Net or another option?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • JimmyB

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 3, 2009
    Berwick
    Just built a new house in Pine Grove(16miles west of Amite). It’s down a gravel road about ½ mile off the main highway so there’s no chance of AT&T running a line.
    Yes, I talked to AT&T several times already. It’s not going to happen

Does anybody know if a satellite dish system the only way to go or is there another option?
    Is Hughes net the best of the bunch?

If it makes a difference, I plan on having a website that will get used a lot One that will download video, pictures, etc

Thanks in advance

oldman45

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 22, 2010
    northwest LA
    I have had Starband for 8 yrs and very happy with it. If you have a RV, it is portable. Not the fastest in the world but miles faster than dialup. I send some high volume files without a problem.

Jack

Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Dec 9, 2010
    Covington
    Hughes net is incredibly slow. We get requests to do home automation systems based off of it, and I've never seen the speak approach anything I would consider really usable.

Vermiform

Free Candy!
    Gold Member
    Marketplace Mod
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Sep 18, 2006
    Shreveport - or therebouts
    Hughes net sales people lie through their teeth. It is an awful excuse for an internet provider. Also, if you cross their daily bandwidth limit they will throttle you back to less than dialup speeds for 24 hours. If there is any alternative to hughesnet, don't use them!

LawDawg

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 19, 2012
    Benton, LA
    I had it for two years and had the premium package at $90+ per month. It was horrible!!!!! True, it's better than dial up, but not by much. Best time to use it is late at night when the network traffic has died down. Bad weather....give it up. Also, if you haven't heard anything about FAP policies you'd better do some more research. FAP stands for Fair Access Policy. Once you reach a certain amount they back your speed down to dial up until the next cycle. I dropped it and got a mifi from Verizon. The best thing I ever did. Now I have DSL and can look back at that nightmare and laugh, but I wasn't laughing when I had it. Check into cellular because its much cheaper and travels with you. I hope this helps.

Taiaut

Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jul 23, 2011
    Lake Charles,La.
    Just built a new house in Pine Grove(16miles west of Amite). It’s down a gravel road about ½ mile off the main highway so there’s no chance of AT&T running a line.
    Yes, I talked to AT&T several times already. It’s not going to happen

Never say never. Back in the old days. Had a house one mile plus about 300 ft from the nearest line. Ma Bell said not no but hell no. Went to see my PSC guy and got a call from Bell next day asking where I wanted the phone. Those PSC guys carry a big stick. Try it. They work for you. Well, sometimes.

Storm52

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 18, 2009
    Shreveport
    +1 with Public Service Commissioner. Remember we all pay $ into the fed/state fund to provide access to rural areas. It is part of your monthly phone bill.

we.the.people

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 1, 2012
    I had it for two years and had the premium package at $90+ per month. It was horrible!!!!! True, it's better than dial up, but not by much. Best time to use it is late at night when the network traffic has died down. Bad weather....give it up. Also, if you haven't heard anything about FAP policies you'd better do some more research. FAP stands for Fair Access Policy. Once you reach a certain amount they back your speed down to dial up until the next cycle. I dropped it and got a mifi from Verizon. The best thing I ever did. Now I have DSL and can look back at that nightmare and laugh, but I wasn't laughing when I had it. Check into cellular because its much cheaper and travels with you. I hope this helps.

I would definately check out the mifi option. Unless you need a hard line you can have access to multiple devices (tablets, laptops, etc). It uses a cell tower so I would make sure you have good reception where you are at first. The thing is about the size of a smart phone, travels lite... This way you can surf the net and drive:nono:

Unspecified

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 12, 2012
    Hughes is extremely bad in my experience ... Throttling, ridiculous bandwidth caps, outrageous prices, spotty service.

Booseman

In Vino Veritas
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Lake Charles
    I dont need to say anything else about Hughes Net, you got that covered here. I will tell you that my in-laws live out at Toledo Bend and they got rid of Hughes for WildBlue, she is now happy. Granted, she is not a serious internet user, maybe every few days and that is it. But it is on when she wants to use and she never has to worry about the "throttleing back" issue.

edman87k5

Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Oct 22, 2007
    Ventress, LA
    Problem being Netflix and videos are OUT!

I'm going to be traipsing around in an Airstream shortly, and so far as I can see there is no realistic way to have GOOD/Complete internet in that lifestyle.

No experience with computer, but I have watched a lot of movies on my phone with 3G.

cajun225

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 24, 2012
    Denham Springs, LA
    If you have to go with sat internet. Starband(www.starband.com) is the way to go. I was a sat dealer for directv, directway(hughes net) and dishnetwork. By far starband is the way to go. Cost a little more but is worth the money. If you do go with sat internet make sure you do a pole mount and the pole is a min of 3' in the ground. Wind load on a sat internet dish is high so I never installed on a house and always installed on a pole.

oldman45

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 22, 2010
    northwest LA
    If you have to go with sat internet. Starband(www.starband.com) is the way to go. I was a sat dealer for directv, directway(hughes net) and dishnetwork. By far starband is the way to go. Cost a little more but is worth the money. If you do go with sat internet make sure you do a pole mount and the pole is a min of 3' in the ground. Wind load on a sat internet dish is high so I never installed on a house and always installed on a pole.

Agreed. If one gets a two headed tripod, they can get dish and starband while away from home. Starband never has failed me but I have gotten mad at them a couple times in the last 10 years. But I get mad at Bellsouth weekly.

Jack

Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Dec 9, 2010
    Covington
    I would definately check out the mifi option. Unless you need a hard line you can have access to multiple devices (tablets, laptops, etc). It uses a cell tower so I would make sure you have good reception where you are at first. The thing is about the size of a smart phone, travels lite... This way you can surf the net and drive:nono:
    Like he said, be sure to check on cell signal strength. I run my work laptop off a mifi and its ok, depending on where you are. It won't work at all in Angie.

Top Bottom