Hundreds hold Colo. vigil for elk killed by police

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Sully

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 1, 2012
    Sulphur
    I would have brought a couple of 120 qt ice chests.....elk backstrap!!

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/...igil_n_2423848.html?utm_hp_ref=green&ir=Green

A couple hundred people turned out tonight to light candles, sing and tell stories as they mourned a beloved bull elk killed on Mapleton Hill in Boulder.

"He was a beautiful animal," said Nancy Platt, of Boulder. "He was hurting nobody. He didn't deserve what he got."

The elk was fatally shot by an on-duty Boulder police officer, who has since been placed on paid administrative leave, pending the results of an internal investigation.

A second off-duty officer, suspected of assisting in loading the animal's body into a pickup truck and taking it away to be processed for meat, also was placed on leave.

Vigil organizer Jim Riemersma said he wanted to give the neighborhood an opportunity to grieve, celebrate and find "a little bit of closure." The vigil was held on Mountain View Road at the site of a tree memorial and near the yard where the elk was shot.

"I know a lot of us have had a lot of anger, a lot of questions, a lot of uncertainty," he said. "Tonight's a celebration, a celebration of the elk. We loved him. But I think he loved us, too, because he returned to this neighborhood."

Still, emotions ran hot, with multiple calls to "fire the cops" and "jail the poachers." A meeting between Boulder Chief Mark Beckner and residents concerned about the shooting is planned for Monday.

"People live here because we love the wildlife," said Esther Parson, who lives in the foothills west of Boulder. "To murder an animal who feels like he's part of the neighborhood is despicable."

The vigil included a mix of people from the neighborhood and animal lovers from the surrounding area. Meghan Stephens, of Louisville, said she came with her husband and 14-month-old daughter to lend support to her sister, who lives in the neighborhood.

"It was a beautiful, beautiful elk," she said.

The elk had been spotted for several weeks on Mapleton Hill between 9th and 11th streets, and residents of the area gave conflicting reports as to whether it had behaved aggressively toward humans.

Numerous people living in the neighborhood insisted that it had not, that it appeared to be healthy, and said that they considered it their "guardian." The elk had been a regular visitor for two years, they said.

"He was part of the neighborhood," said resident Bobby Brown.

George Pappageorge said he would see the elk eating berries on his bushes when he checked the mail, adding they would be almost "nose to nose" without any aggression from the elk.

"It's sad he won't be coming back," he said.

Last edited:

Ritten

SSST Mad Scientist
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Dec 8, 2007
    Thibodaux, Louisiana
    The only reprise I find in this new country that we are emerging into is that at some point the decaying intelligence of the people we are surrounded by will look up to us for the answers and with a smile on my face I will be able to look them in the eye and say with every bit of honesty, "Go F&*&^ yourself"!

Vermiform

Free Candy!
    Gold Member
    Marketplace Mod
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Sep 18, 2006
    Shreveport - or therebouts
    pnuvxvram3waca7rd488.jpg

X Zombie

Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Jul 9, 2012
    NOLA
    Southpark taught me that you can shoot any animal as long as you shout "It's coming right for us!"

I bet that elk was coming right at him.

Last edited:

Sully

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 1, 2012
    Sulphur
    Southpark taught me that you can shoot any animal as long as you shout "It's comming right for us!"

I bet that elk was comming right at him.

LOL!!

Or

"Thin out their numbers!"

You can thank Disney for humanizing animals as well...

X Zombie

Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Jul 9, 2012
    NOLA
    In a situation like this, the elk should be turned into steaks and sausage and given to people who are saddened by its death. Maybe they could find closure through a good, protein rich, meal.

tupperware9mm

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 30, 2010
    Lafayette, LA
    I got stuck working in CO years back,... it is Hollywood east,... more flakes than I could count. Long story short I was doing IT work in a strip mall and witnessed a construction worker run over a pansy (a flower not a gay guy) and the woman who was doing the landscaping and planting the flowers burst into tears and was crying like JFK had just gotten shot. She had a Funeral for the flower!!!!! I kid you not !! I was on the phone to my shop to get me the F out of there while she was saying words over the deceased. After four weeks there I was ready to clock the next hippie eco-freak I saw. Got home, went tho Vermillion bay stuck my feet in the mud and I was much better.

oleheat

Professional Amateur
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 18, 2009
    In a situation like this, the elk should be turned into steaks and sausage and given to people who are saddened by its death. Maybe they could find closure through a good, protein rich, meal.

That's what I was wanting to know- what happened to the meat- especially the backstraps???.....That'd be a damn shame letting that much good meat go to waste!!!

But screw the idiots who turned out for the "services"- let them stuff their faces with tofu for all I care....It's just a shame some of us couldn't have held a counter service thanking the elk by utilizing what he left behind on a BBQ pit. :wtc: :hi5:

Emperor

Seriously Misunderstood!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Nether region
    These people should be quarantined and checked for human form of CWD (Chronic Waste of space Disease).

They need some Katrina busses full of reality sent up there.

Log Island

Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 25, 2012
    Lafayette
    The only reprise I find in this new country that we are emerging into is that at some point the decaying intelligence of the people we are surrounded by will look up to us for the answers and with a smile on my face I will be able to look them in the eye and say with every bit of honesty, "Go F&*&^ yourself"!

++++1

Vermiform

Free Candy!
    Gold Member
    Marketplace Mod
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Sep 18, 2006
    Shreveport - or therebouts
    See if something like that happened around here I would get myself into trouble. I'd cook up some mini ELK BURGERS and walk around out there impersonating them. I'd offer my free "Soy burgers" to the crowd to show my support for the cause, and then tell them what they were eating after I was sure everyone got a bite.

kcinnick

Training Ferrous Metal
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Dec 24, 2008
    Baton Rouge
    See if something like that happened around here I would get myself into trouble. I'd cook up some mini ELK BURGERS and walk around out there impersonating them. I'd offer my free "Soy burgers" to the crowd to show my support for the cause, and then tell them what they were eating after I was sure everyone got a bite.

Yeah, I have served Bambi sausage and never said a thing. Nobody ever notices, says how great it is, but would freak if they know they ate Bambi.

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Cognac.cal
    Top Bottom