Hungry Like the Wolf!

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • kirkdbergeron

Zombie Killah! LOL
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 1, 2010
    Morgan City, LA
    As you can see I got my Lone Wolf barrel in for my Glock! Now maybe I can sling some lead without keyholin' or having to STOP and go clean my Glock factory barrel!

kirkdbergeron

Zombie Killah! LOL
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 1, 2010
    Morgan City, LA
    What bullets were you loading? Chances are, if they key-holed out of a factory Glock barrel, they're gonna do the same in this one.

And if you were experiencing bad leading, methinks your bullets were too soft, wrong alloy, being pushed too fast, or one of several other possible reasons.

Could possibly to high a powder charge make that happen?

highstandard40

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 14, 2009
    Prairieville
    The single biggest cause of leading at pistol velocities is improper bullet fit to bore. Soft lead alloys have been pushed to over 1200 fps with no leading.(think 45-70 rifles and muzzle loaders) Most people think the answer is to use harder lead when proper fit is the key. Have you slugged the bore to check for bore size? If your bullets are a loose fit in the bore, even hard alloys will lead the bore. Another factor could be your crimp die. Do you use a taper crimp or factory profile crimp die. These can compress the bullet and reduce it's diameter. If this happens, you could start with a properly size bullet and make it undersized in the crimping process and you are back to the undersized bullet problem.

oleheat

Professional Amateur
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 18, 2009
    Nice choice.....I have a 9mm & a .357 Sig LW barrel for my Glock 22....Both are very accurate.....:thumbsup:

highstandard40

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 14, 2009
    Prairieville
    You are 100% correct regarding bore-to-bullet fit, though. Problem there is, the average guy is not set up to check it.

There in lies the problem. Soft lead can work if the fit is correct. I push bullets of about 10 brinell hardness to 2000 fps in my 358 Win rifle and 1600 fps in my 7MM BR and 7TCU with no leading. Fit is more important than hardness. A loose fitting hard bullet that rattles down the bore will leave leading that is harder to remove than soft lead.

highstandard40

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 14, 2009
    Prairieville
    But you're using a gas check, right?

Yes I am. But a poorly fitting bullet will lead even with a gas check. My 44 Mag revolver used to lead the barrel with any lead bullet you send down the barrel, gas check or not, hard lead or soft. This refers to my previous statement about crimping dies. My dies were sizing my bullets down in the loading process. I pulled some loaded bullets and discovered that after loading, the bullets were .002" smaller than before loading. Lead bullets will swage down easily and don't spring back. Cast bullet shooting is a science. You may be able to hit a lucky combination with factory cast bullets for your gun and everything works out fine. Then again, maybe not.

I've included a link to what I consider one of the best, "go to" sources of information on cast bullets that I've found. It has helped me to find the right combination for my guns.

http://www.lasc.us/CastBulletNotes.htm

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Gordoloco
    Top Bottom