Hunter's Run Gun Club

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • acranow

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 14, 2010
    Baton Rouge
    Is anyone a member of Hunter's Run Gun Club in Port Allen or has anyone done any shooting there? If so, please let me know your thoughts......

Renegade

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 1, 2010
    Red Stick
    Not a member and I've never been there, but was thinking about joining a while back. Good buddy of mine who has been many times as a guest said they have a crappy rifle range. Non-members cannot shoot on the rifle range, but can shoot skeet for $9.50 a round. Members pay $5 per hour for the rifle range and $5 per round of skeet... on top of the $250 initial annual membership fee ($200 for renewals). Not worth it IMO.

http://www.huntersrungunclub.com/

I just make the drive to Sherburne.

Last edited:

honestlou

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 17, 2009
    Baton Rouge
    I have been a member for several years. I shoot skeet occasionally, and use the pistol and rifle range occasionally. You have to be a member to use the pistol and rifle range. The rifle range is 100 yards, and is adequate for sighting in a rifle. Benches are decent and they are covered. Pistol range is very poor--no way to put a life size silhouette, at least not at eye level. Pistol and rifle ranges accomodate only a 24" x 24" target, or thereabouts. Restrictions against "rapid fire" and drawing from a holster--definitely not handgun friendly.

The only reason I joined was to use the pistol and rifle range, as they charged the same skeet prices for members and non-members. I was not aware if that has changed. It is nice to be able to shoot outdoors and be there in 15-20 minutes from my house in the middle of Baton Rouge.

I have not been very active out there, but I do think there is generally a large group of nice people, and they have fun shoots and other activities if you have the time and are so inclined. Most all activity is centered around the skeet, trap, and sporting clays.

In summary: nice clay pigeon facilities, mediocre rifle range, poor pistol range, nice people.

Richard in LA

Mag Whore
    Rating - 100%
    109   0   0
    May 19, 2007
    St. Amant, LA
    We go on Thursdays to the fun shoot, for the sporting clays course. You don't have to be a member for that. It would take a lot of rounds of skeet to make up the cost of a membership, but I have been thinking of joining, since the skeet range at sherburne is a ways further, and only open certain days (thurs-sun).

dantheman

I despise ARFCOM
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Jan 9, 2008
    City of Central
    I took a ride out there a few years ago , I wasn't impressed with the facilities , especially for that price . I don't shoot clays , skeet , etc. Some people like it and I'm happy for them . :)

texanx5

Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 21, 2010
    north East Baton Rouge
    It is a poor pistol and rifle range keep hearing they may move but wonderful clay action. I joined this year and will possibly renew due to clay's but also planing to join ATA so I can participate in the Thurs. events as well with the family.

Gus McCrae

No sir, I ain't.
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 25, 2009
    Colorado
    I went with a friend who is a member. Prices to be a member and to shoot were kind of high. Sherburne is worth the drive IMO.

If you are big into skeet, then it might be worth it.

CobaltTugger

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 7, 2010
    Baton Rouge
    It's definitely not worth joining for the rifle and pistol range. But they do have good skeet, trap and sporting clays.

I was a member for a few years but realized I was paying too much for how much I was going. And since I didn't need to use their rilfe/pistol range, it definitely made sense for me to just pay full price for clays.

Nice clubhouse too. Great to go in and get some beers in between rounds and after you're done for the day.

ShareTheToys

Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    May 11, 2008
    Baton Rouge, LA
    I was a member for a year. I was looking for a place to shoot rifle/pistol and it was fairly close. They didn't seem to care for the rifle/range area too much and they seemed to care even less for the people that joined up for it. The first day I was there I asked if there were any rules I needed to know about, I wanted to make certain that I wouldn't start off on the wrong foot. They gave me the usual about safety and that was all. Well, not 10 minutes after I started shooting out comes a gentleman on a golf cart that literally got off screaming about rapid firing. I apologized and started to explain that nobody mentioned anything about rapid firing when I asked. The ******* cut me off and told me he didn't want to hear any explanations.

On several other occasions I saw guys shooting up the wooden stands in front of the berms intentionally and just laughing it off, these guys were obviously in the "club" and not just a member like myself. I went maybe a total of 10 times in that year and my experiences were always **** poor for a member that paid his dues and didn't run around tearing **** up. Save your money, hit up Sherburne.

charliepapa

Clandestine Sciuridae
    Rating - 100%
    130   0   0
    Jul 12, 2009
    Prairieville
    It's definitely not worth joining for the rifle and pistol range. But they do have good skeet, trap and sporting clays.

I was a member for a few years but realized I was paying too much for how much I was going. And since I didn't need to use their rilfe/pistol range, it definitely made sense for me to just pay full price for clays.

Nice clubhouse too. Great to go in and get some beers in between rounds and after you're done for the day.

I realize they have no way of knowing if you're intoxicated when you first show up, but do they actually let you back out in a live-fire area after serving you alcohol themselves??? :rolleyes: I wonder if their attorney and insurance provider is aware of that?

Ellis1958

Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Jul 9, 2009
    Port Allen, LA
    If you're into the clays games in any kind of semi-serious way, then it's worth joining.

If you're wanting to join for the rifle/pistol range, don't bother.

Yes, I'm a member.

Tim67

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 20, 2010
    EBR
    From all I hear, it's really a shotgun club and the rifle and pistol facilities aren't worth the trouble.

CobaltTugger

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 7, 2010
    Baton Rouge
    I realize they have no way of knowing if you're intoxicated when you first show up, but do they actually let you back out in a live-fire area after serving you alcohol themselves??? :rolleyes: I wonder if their attorney and insurance provider is aware of that?

You'll have to go try it yourself.

They're not giving out shots of Everclear and allowing people to go run ATAP style live fire entry training. We're using crack-barrels to shoot fine shot at clays.

Maybe you could check with their insurance provider and get back with us. Or maybe I misspoke and you could just say you suspect that as opposed to being a smart-ass? :confused:

charliepapa

Clandestine Sciuridae
    Rating - 100%
    130   0   0
    Jul 12, 2009
    Prairieville

They're not giving out shots of Everclear and allowing people to go run ATAP style live fire entry training. We're using crack-barrels to shoot fine shot at clays.

Maybe you could check with their insurance provider and get back with us. Or maybe I misspoke and you could just say you suspect that as opposed to being a smart-ass? :confused:

I'll pass; thanks.

Maybe I only stated what I was actually thinking and it sounded a little smart-ass to you because on some level you know I'm right. Alcohol and firearms don't mix on any level, and I won't get anywhere near where people allow them to.

How could you have misspoken about a personal experience that you enjoyed over the course of "a few years" of something like that?

I suppose from your post you wouldn't mind taking an accidental shot in the face from the guy next to you, who is only slightly drunk, on only beer (not Everclear) as long as it was just *fine shot* from a crack-barrel? :rolleyes:

(THAT last part there was definitely smart-ass) :p

CobaltTugger

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 7, 2010
    Baton Rouge
    I'll pass; thanks.

Maybe I only stated what I was actually thinking and it sounded a little smart-ass to you because on some level you know I'm right. Alcohol and firearms don't mix on any level, and I won't get anywhere near where people allow them to.
    Well...bye...

How could you have misspoken about a personal experience that you enjoyed over the course of "a few years" of something like that?
    Let's think this through, Dick Tracey. I didn't say when I was a regular. But it just so happens that it was early 2000. I let my membership lapse ~2005. It's been between five and ten years that I regularly went to Hunter's Run. So I'm sorry if I'm not infallible, Dick.

I suppose from your post you wouldn't mind taking an accidental shot in the face from the guy next to you, who is only slightly drunk, on only beer (not Everclear) as long as it was just *fine shot* from a crack-barrel? :rolleyes:
    I don't know if you've been to their skeet range, but the only way you've got a good chance of taking a shot in the face, is if you normally go around looking for large, black objects on which to suck. Guns stay either in your car or at your skeet station

(THAT last part there was definitely smart-ass) :p
    Definitely can't sneak anything past you, Dick. :cheers:

Better luck trolling next time.

charliepapa

Clandestine Sciuridae
    Rating - 100%
    130   0   0
    Jul 12, 2009
    Prairieville
    Listen tug job, first off, none of what I said was a troll. Nor was my original comment directed at you, so what are you all frothed up about? :dunno:

My question (which was legit) and my comment was about nothing more than what I perceived as poor judgement on the part of a business. It had nothing to do with you, other than you bringing to everyone's attention on a public forum. That is, until you fell on your sword over it.

I own and run a business and deal with an insurance bill for almost $1M annually so I'm rather sensitive about dumb stuff that could make the bill go up needlessly and wouldn't do anything that might jeopardize my coverage; hence my comment.

And my name is not Richard. Not sure where that's coming from. :confused:

francis.jpg

kajuntriton

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    135   0   0
    May 2, 2009
    BR, G-Town, P-Ville

WOW!!! NOW THAT's A SMART A$$!!!

I think I would have to go back re read what I wrote and either delete it and slide out the back door OR apologize for my wording!
    UMMM This is a SHOOTING forum NOT a DRINKING FORUM!!

And I also believe it was you MR. RICHARDTUGGER that has started TROLLING!!

KT

Top Bottom