Hunters Wanted in Abita Springs

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • bumpn2

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 3, 2011
    Gonzales, LA
    Dolly T Hunting Club in Abita Springs has several spots open for this coming season. 3500 acres right next to Money Hill subdivision and golf course. $950 for the first year, $850 every year after that, 3 stands, no club stands. If interested respond back here and I will get you pointed in the right direction.

Thanks,
    Darren

bumpn2

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 3, 2011
    Gonzales, LA
    I've had plenty of deer on camera, I can get you one of the eight point my friend stalked last season, and I will see if I can get you any from the other guys in the lease. Good group of guys, not a bunch of partying at night, a lot of the guys are NOLA fire fighters, retired old men, and just regular guys.

bumpn2

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 3, 2011
    Gonzales, LA
    75 member cap, and we have about 55 members now. I will scan my copy of the rules tomorrow and post on here for everyone to read.

Last edited:
    G

gunguy11

Interested.
    Do they have fields with quail?
    Any hog?
    Any idea how many bucks killed per year?
    Place to lodge? (camp,rv hookup)
    Can you bring a guest?
    Are bird dogs welcome if you have quail?

bumpn2

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 3, 2011
    Gonzales, LA
    No sir on the quail. Both they times I saw them I was riding my 4 wheeler and spooked them up.
    I have not seen a hog ever.
    I will try to get buck/doe kill for last season. Every deer that is killed goes into a book.
    No lodge, but they have camper spots. Gen hook up only
    You can bring guest for $30.00 per day. I'm pretty sure there is a limit. I'm going to post rule for everyone tomorrow
    No dogs allowed during deer season.
    There isn't anyone that hunts birds in the lease right now.

bumpn2

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 3, 2011
    Gonzales, LA
    On average if you hunt Monday through Friday you will be the only person hunting
    On the weekend there might be 10/15 ppl hunting. I have never been crowded by another hunter since i've been in this club.
    Most of the guys in this club are fire fighters, or retired fire fighters.

Now I'm going to be honest with everyone here. I have never seen a deer hanging from the skinning rack that's going to be your pride and joy hanging on the wall.
    But if you want a place to hunt that you will be able to put deer in the freezer, and might get lucky and have that wall hanger walk in front of you. Then you won't be dissapointed. If you're looking for a 150 class deer, don't think you will get that one in your sights. Also there's places on this lease that hasn't seen a 4 wheeler in forever, so if you have the time to scout out the back 40, then muay grande may be hanging out there.

bumpn2

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 3, 2011
    Gonzales, LA
    Also Vice president said that the Money Hill big buck club is either shut down, or is primitive weapon only. This club was right next to ours, and had the 8 pnt or better rule, and all the other stuff. Some the guys have tried to go to a big buck program, but majority just doesn't want it. They just want to be able to shoot a doe or 2 at the beginning of the season, and if they are lucky enough to get a good size buck then they are happy. Everybody that puts out cameras always have plenty deer on them, turkeys too. I just don't want anyone to join thinking this is a big buck club. This is just a hunting club were guys like to hunt, shoot the bull in between, and get along. There are guys that stay, and they drink their beer, build their fire, and watch all the LSU games. Then there are the ones that do their hunting and roll out. Nothing fancy, just a place pretty close to the house, that I'm pretty sure I'm going to kill a deer at.

Last edited:

Bearco

Instructor
    Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Covington
    Money Hill Hunting Club changed hands from previous lease holders. They are now bow hunting only except for primitive seasons. I think they are shooting 8pts, with 15"-17" inside spread, no young bucks. This will be the 3rd or 4th year with new lease holders. I was on a lease that backs up to Money Hill on the north side (Hwy 21 in Bush), we never really had anything too big until MH stopped shooting too many deer. Last year and year before had a couple nice deer taken with several more nice ones on camera. The better Money Hill gets, the better surrounding clubs get.

bumpn2

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 3, 2011
    Gonzales, LA
    2012 Rules & Regulations
    MEMBERSHIP
    1) Club dues effective with the 2011 hunting season will be $850 per year with an
    initiation fee of $100 for new members. Dues will be subject to change based upon our
    lease agreement with Leasee. (2012)
    2) Maximum membership by charter is 75. Membership for 2012 season is 58 (2012)
    3) Once a person has been accepted as a member of the Dolly T. Hunting Club, there will
    be no refund of any money except when voted upon by the board of directors.
    4) Membership cards will be issued and member must show card whenever asked. Club
    stickers that are issued must be placed on your vehicle in a conspicuous place that can be
    easily seen.
    5) Member's immediate family will not be required to have membership card/badge up to
    age 16.
    6) Family members over 18 in military service stationed away from home can hunt free
    when on leave. Parents of members 65 years of age or older may hunt free.
    7) A member may hold office after he/she has been "a member in good standing" for one
    year. Officers will be elected for three years.
    8) Membership is for the immediate family. The member's immediate family is: His or
    Her spouse and childrerVgrandchildren 18 and under living at home or full time students
    through 23 years old. Full time students (19-23) may hunt the lease without the primary
    member present. Full time students are not allowed to bring in guests. Any violation
    shall result in disciplinary action as deemed necessary by the Officers and board member.
    9) Two workdays are required per member per year. Work-days must be completed by
    the start of gun season. A fifty-dollar fine per work day not made will be charged to that
    member. These charges must be paid in full prior to the current gun season. All hunting
    privileges will be suspended until the fines are paid.
    10) Any rule or new motion voted on and passed at the "rules" general membership
    meeting shall be final for the upcoming hunting season. This rule or any other rule
    cannot be changed or altered upon the pa5rment of club dues. All proposed rule changes
    must be submitted to the general membership for their consideration. A 213 vote of the
    members present, this includes proxy votes, at the meeting is needed for passage.
    11) A member's immediate family will be given preference over sponsored hunters on
    the "waiting list". Members'immediate family is their sorVdaughter, grandchildren
    or father/mother. No other immediate family member is recognized for the purpose
    ofjoining the club.
    12) The officers and Board members being duly elected officials of the Dolly T. Hunting
    club are mandated to uphold the rules & regulations of the club. Officers & Board
    members upon verbal or written notification of a violation will convene to determine
    the specifics of said violation. The Offrcers & Board members, by simple majority,
    shall have fulI authority to issue warnings, fines, suspensions and to discharge any
    member breaking the club rules & regulations.
    LEASE & CAMPGROUNDS
    1) Members may enter lease through any of the 5 gates. Bob Ler,y or Oak Tree Roads
    will be the primary entrances.
    2) All gates will be locked year round. Keys are issued when dues are paid in full.
    Additional keys are $2.50 each. If a gate or fence is damaged fix it if possible. Materials
    are in the store-room. If you do not repair it, noti$, a board member to arrange to have
    the gate fixed.
    3) No cutting of trees, no nails in pine trees and no permanent tree stands are allowed in
    pine trees.
    4) All camping, is restricted to the camp-grounds in the big pond area. No guns (BB,
    pellet, pistol, shotgun, rifle, bow & arrows) will be shot in the campground. Drinking of
    alcoholic beverages is restricted to the campgrounds only during hunting season.
    5) A prospective new member may tour lease only when accompanied by a club member.
    6) 15 MPH speed limit on lease. All children under 16 must be accompanied by and
    adult when riding ATV's or ATC's.
    7) All members will be responsible for removing their trash and garbage at the end of
    each visit. Failure to remove trash subjects member to A) written warning b) a fine of
    $50 per violation after receipt of the written warning. Discarding of any trash throughout
    the Hunting Lease is prohibited. The hauling of trash from outside of our lease to be
    deposited on our lease is strictly prohibited. Violators are subject to a $50 fine.
    HUNTING
    la) Each member is allowed 3 marked permanent stands. Any member having more than
    three permanent stands will be subject to the penalties. I't Offense - $100.00 fine. 2nd
    Offense - Suspension of all hunting privileges for five (5) years.
    lb) A permanent stand location is the domain of that hunter/member and shall not
    be encroached upon during deer season. A permanent stand area encompasses a
    radius of200 yards. (2012)
    lc) Effective with the opening of deer season members wishing to hunt small game
    must get permission prior to going into another members stand territory. Q0l2)
    2) All permanent stands must be marked on the nearest main road with member's
    number, year, and stand letter (A, B, or C), Members no. and stand no. must be on the
    stand with flagging from the stand to road. Satellite stands should be flagged & marked
    from the members'main stand to the satellite stand. No more than one road marker will
    be allowed. Violation of the one marker
    rule will subject the member to the following penalty. l't Offense - Warning letter. 2nd
    Offense - $50.00 fine.
    Example: 42 : member number (1 thru 58)
    A stand "A" (B or C)
    12 : year20l2
    3a) All new stands must be 50 yards from any main road, and a minimum of 200 yards
    (Radius) from another members marked stand. A stand is defined as permanent,
    climbing or portable.
    3b) Any stand being taken over by a member is considered a new stand and subject to the
    200 yard rule.
    3c) Stands on the power line must be 200 yards apart and on the west side of the power
    line.
    3d) No new stands are to be within 100 yards of the outer parameter of a club food plot.
    4) All hunters must yield to deer hunters in permanent stands. No member is allowed to
    hunt another member's stand without his permission. Any member hunting another
    member's stand without permission will be expelled from the club.
    5) ChildrerVgrandchildren under 14 must be in the same stand as a parent . 14 & 15 year
    old may hunt in stands up to 100 yards from their parents/grandparents after passing a
    hunter safety course. Family members 16 and over may hunt by themselves.
    6) All hunters must use the peg-board., pegging and unpegging after each hunt!!
    7) During bow season Deer Hunters have priority over all other hunters.. Example: If a
    bow hunter is pegged on board, squirrel, rabbit and bird hunters are not allowed in that
    area.
    8) No walking or riding on food plots. Members caught will be fined $50 & have the
    expense of replanting that plot or that member will face ejection.
    9) All deer must be weighed, sexed and the jaw bone removed, tagged and put into the
    shed. All appropriate data is to be recorded onto the deer kill sheet. An exception is for
    any deer that is to be mounted. The jawbone should be tagged & put into the shed as
    soon as possible after mounting.
    10) The club reserves the right to refuse hunting privileges to anyone.
    11) Dogs are allowed onto the lease after deer season only.....squirrel, rabbit (shortlegged
    beagles) and bird dogs only.
    12) The trapping of Hogs will be allowed within the members permanently marked stand
    area. (200 yard radius)
    13) Any member that breaks a LWF game law will be ejected from the club.
    14) Peace and order must be maintained between members, guests, and surrounding
    neighbors at all times. Common courtesy is essential!! If a problem arises, it must be
    written up and given to a board member. All parties involved will be asked to a board
    meeting and each will have their say. The board will discuss and vote on what action is
    to be taken. All involved will be notified by mail.
    15) Guest passes are to be on an honor system. Guest passes will be in the campground
    suggestion box for which all members will have a key. Inside will be envelopes for
    checks or money, guest passes and two boxes. You should put the money inside the
    envelope with the members'name and number and drop into the 1st box. The guest pass
    is to be filled immediately and is to be put into the 2nd box when the guest is finished
    using or at the end of the day. Please fill out all of the information that is requested. The
    guest must have a pass on his/her person at all times when on club property. The club
    treasurer & secretary will have the only key to the money box.
    The money box will be recovered weekly and must balance with the number of guest
    passes used. Guest passes are limited to 5 days of hunting per year per guest.
    The cost of a suest pass is $30.00 for two consecutive hunts oeriod
    Clarification: This means a morning through evening hunt (one day) or a aftemoon
    through the next morning hunt (one day).
    16) Firing range regulations.'
    a. The use of the range during the hunting season is restricted to a brief "sighting
    in" of weapons.
    b. Shooting is only allowed between 11 am & 2 pm during hunting season.
    Practice or recreational shooting is prohibited until the hunting season is over.
    Hunting season is defined as deer & turkey hunting. Deer and turkey season is
    between Oct lst. to May 1st.
    c. The road to the range must be blocked with a pylon or club provided barricade
    when in use.
    d. The discharge of firearms is to be carefully and deliberately managed by the
    shooter/member to ensure maximum safety and minimum disturbance.
    e. A11 weapons must be initially fired at twenty-five yards or closer to the
    backstop. The shooter is required to be certain that his weapon is dead on at
    twenty five yards prior to shooting at the fifty, seventy-five or one hundred
    yard distance.
    f. No horseplay or fooling around will be allowed while the range is being used.
    g. Safety must be the prime concem while the range is in use.
    17) It is all the members' responsibility to make sure that their feeders are empty and that
    no com or grain is left on the ground at least ten (10) days prior to the Turkey season.
    These feeders must be kept empty until after Turkey season for us to be in compliance
    with W & F rules and regulations. The law states that "It is not necessary for the hunter
    to know the area is baited to be in violation."
    18a) A deer management program for the Dolly T. Hunting Club specifies the following
    A minimum weight per deer is set at 60 pounds.
    Penalty: 1st offense. $100.00 fine.
    2nd offense. $150.00 fine.
    3rd offense. Loss of all hunting privileges for three (3) years.
    18b) Each membership is allowed 1 spike deer per yearly season whether it be the
    member or a member guest. After the taking of I spike deer the member or his guest
    can only take 4 point or better or does for the rest of the season. This is only on a
    trial bases for 1 year and will be voted on each year afterwards. Women & children
    under 16 are allowed to shoot regularly under club rules and wildlife & fisheries
    rules. 60 lbs or better. (2012)
    19) The Dolly T. Hunting Club recognizes the state rule regarding "Special Youth Deer
    Hunt on Private Land. Either sex areas I,4,5 6: Oct. 27 - Nov 2,2012 Youth 17 or
    younger only. Youths must possess a hunter safety certification or proof of successful
    completion of a hunter safety course. Youth must be accompanied by one adult 18 years
    of age or older. If the accompanying adult is in possession of hunter safety certification, a
    valid hunting license or proof of successful completion of a hunter safety course, this
    requirement is waived for youths younger than 16 years of age. Adults may not possess a
    firearm. Youths may possess only one firearm while hunting. Legal firearms are the
    same as described for deer hunting. The supervising adult shall maintain visual and voice
    contact with the youth at all times. EXCEPT properly licensed youths 16-17 years old
    and youths 12 years old or older who have successfully completed a hunter safety course
    may hunt without a supervising adult. In addition, youths 17 or younger may hunt
    either-sex deer with any legal weapon during the Primitive Firearms Season in each
    deer hunting area. (2012)
    A member is responsible for their guest behavior. Any member or member's
    guest that removes an unsanctioned animal form the lease or who does not
    report a violation, then that member is subject to the loss of all hunting
    privileges.
    t"/ "/ f* eq "f n,/^.
    Note:
    Rule changes for the 2012 Hunting Season
    Are indicated in the rales by bold type and by (2012)

Top Bottom