Hunting Camo

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Sugarbug

Sugarbug don't care.
    Rating - 100%
    54   0   1
    Feb 5, 2012
    Slidell
    Ok, for deer and duck. Help me out here... Midway is about to have a camo sale. I have 0 articles of camo clothing. I'm also hoping they have waders that are going to go on sale.

Need recommendations on sizes, brands, and patterns.

I'm 6'3 and 240lbs. Size 14 shoe (if it matters for waders). What should I be on the lookout for?

http://www.midwayusa.com/camo-tuesd....temple@gmail.com &cm_mmca2=CustNum=103539801

3fifty7

CoonAss
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jul 9, 2011
    Bunkie
    Deer Huntin
    I have cabelas Real Tree AP.
    1 set of fleece
    1 set of chamois denim
    1 set of rain suede Evolution
    Rockey lace up boots
    Irish Setter neoprene boots

Duck huntin
    Mossy oak duck blind waist waders
    Mossy oak duck blind parka

Log Island

Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 25, 2012
    Lafayette
    Duck hunting: neoprene or canvas....if you are "working" to get to your blind, ie: push poling, dragging through the marsh, sinking in mud up to our a**, etc, you will SMOTHER wearing neoprene...standing in flooded timber in high H2O, neoprene is a good choice. Cadillac'n in a sunken blind...your call.
    If you plan n walking through marsh, you really need to make sure the boots fit you well/little slippage. (you will fight every step as your feet will pull out of the boots)

GunRelated

Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Feb 22, 2012
    Walker, La
    Realy depends on the area that. You will be in. Different areas have different foliage. When you go to scout the area, pay attention to the types of foliage and base your pattern on that. I highly reccomend cabelas brand, it is reasonably priced and excellent quality. Stay away from Bass Pro for camo clothing, they are highly overpriced, IMO.

I like Max 4 for duck, but mainly because I just like the way it looks and I like to wear it casually.

Hitman

® ™
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Sep 4, 2008
    Lake Charles
    I'm currently using Mossy Oak Duck Blind for Bird Hunting

47-DbSw1.jpg

and Infinity Break up for all other hunting.

Mossy-Oak-Break-Up-Infinity.jpg

Booseman

In Vino Veritas
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Lake Charles
    Go with what Dustin said. Just as an FYI underarmour.com has a great "outlet" section and they have a bunch of hunting gear on clearance.

mitter

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 25, 2009
    Metairie, LA
    I use Max4. It not only blends good in the marsh, but it actually blends very well with the grass in the woods where I hunt. (I actually hunt out of box standing so it really doesnt matter what i wear.)

Also, unless your hunting flooded timber, I'd go with hip boot over waders. I have both and find hip boots allow me more range of movement and flexibility when it comes to bending/squatting/kneeling. YMMV

Cochise

is not here
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 19, 2012
    Calhoun
    +1 for hip boots over chest waders if the water isn't too deep. As far as cammo goes, it really depends on where you are going to hunt. I have some old Mossy Oak that is absolutely perfect for where I hunt during late fall, but any other place and/or time it really doesn't work. My advice is take some good pictures of where you hunt and take those pics with you to the cammo store.

Last edited:

Win1917

Win1917
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 13, 2009
    Lafayette
    A few yrs ago I bought a half dozen sets of woodland BDU's from a retired soldier. Cheap, durable, and functional. I'm not a duck hunter but for deer hunting, camo is well down the list of importance IMO. Don't move, stay down wind if you can, set up where deer travel, and you're gonna take deer.

Log Island

Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 25, 2012
    Lafayette
    If you're hunting marsh, you will notice that the grass stays green pretty much til the end of the season. It's not easy to find any of the new patterns with much green in them. If you're wearing some nice brown, but good looking camo, well, you're a brown blob amoungst green.
    Have a guy next to my camp that for years had been wearing a ghillie looking poncho that he painted alot of green into. Stands just into the cut grass, and disappears...

Hitman

® ™
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Sep 4, 2008
    Lake Charles
    Hip Boots are great...UNTIL you sit down on a wet bench :p

That's why I just stick with think Chest Waders.

I've had a pair of OD Hodges for 6 YEARS! I clean them after every use and store them properly after every season. Cannot believe how long they've lasted.

Btl_Rkt_Sci

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 19, 2011
    A few yrs ago I bought a half dozen sets of woodland BDU's from a retired soldier. Cheap, durable, and functional. I'm not a duck hunter but for deer hunting, camo is well down the list of importance IMO. Don't move, stay down wind if you can, set up where deer travel, and you're gonna take deer.

Ditto. I've never had any more luck with any particular brand of camo than another, I usually just buy whatever's on clearance and haven't had an issue. Hell, some of the people I know who hunt for sustenance around the FIL's property don't even wear camo deer hunting.

Duck hunting is another story though.

mforsta

Pops
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 25, 2012
    Denham Springs
    Duck hunted for about 25 years and now I am deer hunting and have never had a duck or deer tell me I am in the wrong type of camo. It really doesn't matter as long as it helps break up you outline. Most animals are color blind, so they rely on other senses like smell, hearing and eye sight for movement. As far as the difference between waders and hip boots, its waders all the way. I learned from too many wet arses, that waders are better when you step off in a deep hole when walking around whether it be in the marsh or in the flooded timber of the swamps.

GunRelated

Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Feb 22, 2012
    Walker, La
    Duck hunted for about 25 years and now I am deer hunting and have never had a duck or deer tell me I am in the wrong type of camo. It really doesn't matter as long as it helps break up you outline. Most animals are color blind, so they rely on other senses like smell, hearing and eye sight for movement. As far as the difference between waders and hip boots, its waders all the way. I learned from too many wet arses, that waders are better when you step off in a deep hole when walking around whether it be in the marsh or in the flooded timber of the swamps.

This

My dad has killed many many ducks wearing plain ole army surplus camo. I just like the way some of the new camo looks. As said above, if you are in the marsh or swamp, waders are the way to go. If you step in a hole with hip boots on, you are:
    A) in for a long, wet, cold hunt
    B) ending the hunt early like I would do because I hate being wet & cold

Top Bottom