Hunting license question

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • LS1RX7

Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Aug 27, 2010
    Slidell
    I want to go hunting for the first time with a friend a he says I can get a license without taking the safety course because I am POST certified. Has anyone heard of this before? I googled it and don't see anything relevant.

Richard in LA

Mag Whore
    Rating - 100%
    109   0   0
    May 19, 2007
    St. Amant, LA
    copied and pasted from here : http://www.wlf.louisiana.gov/hunting/hunter-education
    I highlighted what you are looking for in red.

Why Hunter Education?
    Hunter Education provides a foundation for safe and responsible hunting. Due to hunter education, hunting accidents have dropped significantly. Each year some 18,000 individuals graduate from a hunter education course in Louisiana. The major objectives of the hunter education program are:
    Reduce hunting accidents
    Improve the image of hunting through ethical and responsible conduct
    Promote the shooting sports

What Is Taught In A Hunter Education Course?
    Major subjects cover are:
    Ethics and responsibility, wildlife management and conservation, understanding firearms and ammunition, safe firearms handling and personal safety in the outdoors. Students are also required to participate in a live fire exercise and successfully complete a written exam.

Who Is Required To Take The Hunter Education Course?
    Act 149 of the 1984 Louisiana Legislature enacted a mandatory education requirement for anyone born on or after September 1, 1969. All hunters born on or after this date must successfully complete the course in order to hunt in the State of Louisiana. Some exemptions apply, see below.

Hunters who plan to hunt out of state should check regulations for those states. All 50 states now require some form of mandatory hunter education.

Who Can Participate?
    Anyone can participate in the basic student course, but only those persons 10 years of age or older are eligible for certification. Upon successful completion of the course, students receive a Louisiana Hunter Education Certification Card that is recognized by all states and provinces that require hunter education.

How Much Does The Course Cost?
    Hunter Education and Bowhunter Education courses are FREE.

How Do I Take A Hunter Education Course?
    There are two ways to take a hunter education course:
    CLASSROOM COURSE - This method requires a student to attend 10 hours of instructions provided by a certified hunter education instructor.

HOME STUDY - This method allows a student to take a hunter education course by studying the course material either on the internet or by CD-ROM at the students convenience. To complete the process students are required to attend a FIELD DAY taught by a certified instructor.

Who Needs To Be Supervised While Hunting?
    A person who is younger than 16 years of age may hunt without hunter education if accompanied by and under the direct supervision of a person 18 years of age or older who has a valid hunting license or has proof of successful completion of a hunter education course.
    In addition all persons 10 and 11 years of age must be supervised by a person who is 18 years of age or older while hunting regardless as to whether they are hunter education certified or not.

Exemptions:
    Active or veteran members of the U.S Armed Forces and any POST certified law enforcement officer can apply for a hunter education exemption to hunt in the State of Louisiana.
    Contact 225/765-2932 for application procedures.

Also: A person who has not completed a hunters education course may be issued a hunting license with the restriction that they are under the direct supervision of a person who is eighteen years of age or older and has a valid hunting license or proof of sucessful completion of a hunter education course.

Who teaches hunter education courses?
    Courses are taught by Hunter Education staff and volunteer instructors. The majority of courses are taught by volunteers recruited from schools, law enforcement agencies, sportsmen's groups, and many other conservation-minded organizations.

Where are hunter education courses offered?
    The LDWF web site provides a listing of both standard and home study courses. Follow the links show below.

Xenon

Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Jul 30, 2010
    Metairie
    funny thing I thought I'd share. Last year I told a friend I would take him duck hunting with me if he would take the hunter's ed course and get his license. He took the online course and passed, but never went to the field day. This year he repeated the course because LDWF had changed their computer system and purged the records of the partial completions (so I was told).

So again he passed, but did not go to a field day prior to the opening of duck season. He was invited by a coworker to hunt (I told him no w/o a license). I told him it wouldn't work, but the night before he went online and got the license without the LDWF website ever asking for the hunter's ed number. I was shocked. I wonder if this is still considered legal?

Booseman

In Vino Veritas
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Lake Charles
    Also: A person who has not completed a hunters education course may be issued a hunting license with the restriction that they are under the direct supervision of a person who is eighteen years of age or older and has a valid hunting license or proof of sucessful completion of a hunter education course.

This ^^ solves that problem.

blanepara9

just some dude
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 5, 2009
    lafayette
    My brother took the course with me years ago, but when he gets his license this year it says "restricted" next to Hunter Education Number.. what the hell does that mean?

XLMike

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 7, 2010
    Crowley La
    me and a buddy went to get our cards at walmart and to my surprise they didnt even care if he had a hunters ED card or not they said they dont need it this year
    sounds strange I couldnt get one last year without having mine present

Uncle John

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 9, 2010
    Leesville Louisiana
    Well let me enlighten you on a dumb decision. You get your license and go hunting with your buddy....no problem, then take the hunters safety course anyway. I'm a 20 year Army Vet and a 32 year Enforcement person, a hunter safety instructor and a pro outdoor writer. Dont see the Hunter's Safety Course as a hassle you need it if you have never hunted. No doubt you think you know safe gun handling in and out of a patrol car....But you dont have the slightest idea about how to go up down in a tree stand, in and out of the field, when and when not to engage the safety, how far from a vehicle you should be before you load your gun ect. Cops and Soldiers carry their guns muzzle down, you dont do that quail hunting or in a duck blind, so this becomes a safety hazard and the new hunter finds it hard to understand. No I dont agree with this rule, take your hunter safety course and learn something.

Now so you dont get killed or embarrass yourself do some addition reading at www.foremosthunting.com on safety and hunter ethics.

Pass it on

Last edited:

Tim67

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 20, 2010
    EBR
    Well let me enlighten you on a dumb decision. You get your license and go hunting with your buddy....no problem, then take the hunters safety course anyway. I'm a 20 year Army Vet and a 32 year Enforcement person, a hunter safety instructor and a pro outdoor writer. Dont see the Hunter's Safety Course as a hassle you need it if you have never hunted. No doubt you think you know safe gun handling in and out of a patrol car....But you dont have the slightest idea about how to go up down in a tree stand, in and out of the field, when and when not to engage the safety, how far from a vehicle you should be before you load your gun ect. Cops and Soldiers carry their guns muzzle down, you dont do that quail hunting or in a duck blind, so this becomes a safety hazard and the new hunter finds it hard to understand. No I dont agree with this rule, take your hunter safety course and learn something.

Now so you dont get killed or embarrass yourself do some addition reading at www.foremosthunting.com on safety and hunter ethics.

Pass it on

I agree with this. LE and military carry are different from hunting-even if only because of the different weapon types. In the same vein, I disagree with exempting military from CHP training.

XLMike

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 7, 2010
    Crowley La

Pass it on

Well said

Top Bottom