Hunting rifle

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • scubasteve

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 12, 2007
    Baton Rouge
    Don pretty much covered the bases. I prefer the 30-06. In some towns, the local C stores sell ammo for it. Comes in handy when you forget your bullets at the house.
    .308 ain't bad either. Have a soft spot for the 7mm Mauser and .257 Roberts. The 25-06 is regaining popularity after many years.
    I like short barrels and a stock that shoulders easy. Wood and blued steel make me swoon. Plastic and s/s have their place.
    I've killed most of my deer in the swamp with a Marlin .44 Mag lever gun with a Weaver 4x scope. Made a lllllllooooonnnnggggg shot in Nth.LA with my Husqvarna 30-06. Carry my Remington 742 Carbine in '06 on a lot of hunts.
    Don't get one rifle. Get one for each day of hunting season.

dzelenka

D.R. 1827; HM; P100x3
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 2, 2008
    Covington
    Don pretty much covered the bases. I prefer the 30-06. In some towns, the local C stores sell ammo for it. Comes in handy when you forget your bullets at the house.
    .308 ain't bad either. Have a soft spot for the 7mm Mauser and .257 Roberts. The 25-06 is regaining popularity after many years.
    I like short barrels and a stock that shoulders easy. Wood and blued steel make me swoon. Plastic and s/s have their place.
    I've killed most of my deer in the swamp with a Marlin .44 Mag lever gun with a Weaver 4x scope. Made a lllllllooooonnnnggggg shot in Nth.LA with my Husqvarna 30-06. Carry my Remington 742 Carbine in '06 on a lot of hunts.
    Don't get one rifle. Get one for each day of hunting season.

Amen!

Silent Thud

Infidel
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    Backwoods, MS
    I would have to say .50 cal., without a doubt. You have got good range, knock down power and it also assists in cleaning/gutting the deer!! Excellent choice!! Its a win-win situation.:D

dzelenka

D.R. 1827; HM; P100x3
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 2, 2008
    Covington
    I would have to say .50 cal., without a doubt. You have got good range, knock down power and it also assists in cleaning/gutting the deer!! Excellent choice!! Its a win-win situation.:D

I bet that would be especially sporting to shoot from a tree stand.

Barney88PDC

SEND IT
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Jul 16, 2008
    Somewhere over the rainbow
    This makes me remember something I read not too long ago about the .50 cal. Some one asked if it was a shoulder mounted weapon and if you could shoot it standing up. LOL well some guy replied that my gun weights X amount (I think 30ish pounds) and I have managed to raise it to my shoulder for a few seconds and peer down the scope. But I dont have the NUTS to pull the trigger while it is there LMFAO! :biglaugh:

CajunTim

Premium CoonAss Member
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Oct 19, 2006
    Mandeville, LA
    I fired a fellow members Barret from the shoulder and yes it was heavy and I am old, fat, lazy, weak and not balding but the recoil and the Barret was less than my stock .308. Now the weight I'm not sure what it weighed but we use to shoot the 240 from the shoulder at least when the Lt wasn't looking:D

Now when it came to the Barret I wasn't as brave as some as one guy didn't even use his ear plugs to fire it:D

CajunTim

Premium CoonAss Member
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Oct 19, 2006
    Mandeville, LA
    The .30-30 Winchester is the best selling centerfire sporting cartridge in history, bar none. Yet, because it is chambered primarily in lever action carbines that most gun writers' disdain, practically no one pays any attention to either the cartridge or the rifles that shoot it. Except consumers, that is, who have made the Winchester Model 94 and Marlin Model 336 the best selling hunting rifles of all time.

Lone Ranger

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 26, 2010
    A 30-06 is hard to beat due to the fact there are many factory loads available. It is the most versatile caliber and recoil is not bad. It can be found in most stores that carry ammo anywhere in the USA. It is practical for almost anything in North America and flat shooting loads are available such as Hornady Superformance. The .270 winchester would be my other choice for a beginner. Recoil is pleasant and this is a very accurate round with a very flat trajectory. Ammo is easy to find.

longnkrnch

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 14, 2010
    30.06. Nothing better in North america. You can hunt any north american game with it. It is accurate and versatile. There is no more versatile caliber for the reloader. I have taken game out to 500yds in Wyoming with it.

Win1917

Win1917
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 13, 2009
    Lafayette
    For new shooters I would say look at all the rounds with good availability and then of those choose one with low recoil and on down the list. So for me I would say 270, 7-08, 25-06 would be the top 3 choices. 308, 30-06, and 243 would be the next choices. 308/'06 because of higher recoil and 243 because it's on the low end of the power range. Personally I think a 260 is an excellent combination of low recoil and game taking ability but I wouldn't recommend it because of hard to find ammo.

Uncle John

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 9, 2010
    Leesville Louisiana
    Here are my choices going up the ladder. 6.5X55 SE in a CZ-USA 550 FS, 30-06 Remington 700 CDL, 325 WSM Browning X-Bolt, Marlin 45-70. One of these will fit any deer hunting situation anywhere.

Top Bottom