HVAC Help

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • tunatuk

Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 30, 2007
    Ascension Parish
    Hey guys-

Woke up this morning to heater not turning on. AC won't turn on either, nor will the fan run.

I've reset the thermostat, flipped all the breakers (inside, and at the Central unit), all to no avail.

Batteries are good at the thermostat. Any suggestions??

Doesn't appear to be frozen up at the unit either, so I'm out of ideas. Just looking to try and get this going ASAP. Going to call the landlord, but it will probably be Monday till he can get someone out here.

tunatuk

Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 30, 2007
    Ascension Parish
    Fuse on the outside of the house at the outside unit

Where would this generally be? The box outside had what appeared to be a fuse, with On written on one side, and off on the other. It had something that you could pull completely out and rotate to fit either one. I assumed this to be the breaker.

If that is the breaker, where would I try looking for the fuse at?

Guate_shooter

LA CHP Instructor # 522
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Dec 4, 2009
    (Breaux Bridge)
    The fuse should be in the middle of that thing that you pulled out, it shouldnt have a clear window but still have the same pill like shape, usually has a green sticker on it.

kz45

1911 cool-aid drinker
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Jun 8, 2008
    Baton Rouge
    Thats just a disconnect so they can work on the unit, you could have a burnt wire/ connection, I just went through this same thing. I had a bad connection in a wire nut and it got hot and melted the wire nut away, lost connection

jmcrawf1

Rating - 100%
    70   0   0
    Jan 20, 2008
    Madisonville
    Where would this generally be? The box outside had what appeared to be a fuse, with On written on one side, and off on the other. It had something that you could pull completely out and rotate to fit either one. I assumed this to be the breaker.

If that is the breaker, where would I try looking for the fuse at?

The insert that you pull out has two fuses. Pull the fuses out of the insert and take them to lowes and have them tested. You can test them yourself if you have a multimeter.

some_goat

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 17, 2009
    Baker/Central area
    is this a package unit or a split unit ? If its a split unit , the problem is most likely going to be in the air handler or heater , depending on if its gas or electric . Unsually u can run heat without the use of the outside condensor , unless its a heat pump but dont quote me on that . Its mostly the inside unit that controls the outside and there can be several things to check . On the board inside the inside unit they have a fuse that could have went out . The thermastat may be bad or the low voltage could have a short . There can be several things can be wrong . Can evan be a float switch or a transformer issue .

Yrdawg

*Banned*
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 24, 2006
    Big Woods
    Is it a heat pump ??

If so try the emergency heat settint on T Stat

next look in the fan coil, blower, furnace, what ever unit you have inside...could be a 5 A fuse on the circuit board ( low voltage )

Maybe loss of power to indoor unit also

Do you have a voltage testor ??

tunatuk

Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 30, 2007
    Ascension Parish
    Its a condo, and I'm on the top floor. My downstairs neighbor has her own AC unit, and I have my own as well.

I don't know if it is a heat pump, or anything really about this stuff. I pulled out the switch on the outside, and it is basically a T shape, that you rotate 180* to go on or off. on one side of the top of the T is on, the other is off. and you just line them up to the ON and OFF on the box itself.

It's a brand new unit, I'm the first resident to live in it since it was built. The thermostat tried switching on once that I heard, so I doubt it is the thermostat. I'm gonna try and check in the attic and see what I can find.

Suburbazine

01001000 01101001 0011111
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 21, 2008
    Baton Rouge, LA
    If you don't have it fixed by tomorrow afternoon I could drop by and do some testing. I know next to nothing about condo units though so all I will be able to tell you is where you *don't* have power. If it's easily fixable then I can fix it, but I won't have any replacement parts.

tunatuk

Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 30, 2007
    Ascension Parish
    Thanks Suburbazine! I'm going to call my landlord, and see when he or someone he hires can come out. If he can get here tomorrow, he's pretty handy, and might be able to fix it. If he can't do anything, I'll definitely let you know something! I have work all night tonight, and work at 4pm-4am again tomorrow night!

I appreciate the help!

ETA: It's a normal AC unit. It's just like any other AC unit that I've ever seen...

tunatuk

Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 30, 2007
    Ascension Parish
    Just spoke to several people out here, and I was recommended to change the thermostat. Going to Lowe's first thing in the AM and buying one, and gonna swap that out. If that doesn't work, I just found out my friend's uncle has an AC/heat business, so I'll give him a call and see if he can get out here pronto.

some_goat

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 17, 2009
    Baker/Central area
    A way to see if it may be the transformer is to take the batteries out of the thermostat and see if it goes dark . If it does and the unit has power than i would take a look at the transformer .

Suburbazine

01001000 01101001 0011111
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 21, 2008
    Baton Rouge, LA
    Turn off ALL power to the unit before you touch the thermostat. If you short a pair out, you're looking at a control board and transformer replacement. Also determine if you have single stage or dual stage HVAC, a single stage thermostat cannot run a dual stage system.

tunatuk

Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 30, 2007
    Ascension Parish
    A way to see if it may be the transformer is to take the batteries out of the thermostat and see if it goes dark . If it does and the unit has power than i would take a look at the transformer .

My thermostat is battery only. It doesn't not use any power from the AC unit, from what I understand.

Yrdawg

*Banned*
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 24, 2006
    Big Woods
    More the norm these days in non HP apps

If there is no wire ( usually blue or black ) on the C terminal its 99% battery only

mikeinneworlean

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 28, 2010
    New Orleans
    There is also a small fuse (10-15a) that protects the unit's controls from a thermostat short.
    Typically on the side of the unit is a control box with the thermostat wire leading to it.
    Check that - Good luck!

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    dpoirier63
    Top Bottom