Hypothetical CCW Question

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rayneiac

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 4, 2013
    Plaquemine
    First off...I'm a Paralegal. So debating multiple legal scenarios at work is sort of a hobby among us. And this was a debate today at lunch. Since the collective CC knowledge on here surely outweighs that of a Corporate Attorney....I thought I'd ask because I'm now curious.

What about a person with a few little things in their closet....unpaid ticket or two (such as expired inspection sticker, barely speeding but NOT in a school zone). Add in perhaps an old expunged DUI from at least 10 years ago, and suppose the person lived in a big city like NOLA where it's possible to not own a car (walk/bike/public transport) so they let the DL expire and just use a valid State ID.

Now, assuming this person had two brain cells to rub together they would have hopefully checked the local court websites and looked themselves up on the active warrants list....and found they were clean. As far as what they could find through that method.

We (the office staff of Paralegals and a law student) surmised that IF there truly were no warrants and the hypothetical person supplied proof of the expungement for the DUI/disposition of case....the rest would likely have no bearing.

Anyone care to chime in?

Dustin-R

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 27, 2010
    Abbeville, Louisiana
    (10) Not have been convicted of, have entered a plea of guilty or nolo contendere to, or
    not be charged under indictment or a bill of information for any crime of violence or any crime
    punishable by imprisonment for a term of one year or greater.
    A conviction, plea of guilty, or
    plea of nolo contendere under this Paragraph shall include an expungement
    of such conviction or
    a dismissal and conviction set-aside under the provisions of Code of Criminal Procedure Article
    893. However, a person who has been convicted of a violation of 18 U.S.C. 491(a) shall be
    permitted to qualify for a concealed handgun permit if fifteen or more years has elapsed between
    the date of application and the successful completion or service of any sentence, deferred
    adjudication, or period of probation or parole.

Even if it was not a felony.....
    any crime punishable by imprisonment for a term of one year or greater

The only thing the LSP will accept is a Govorners(GOLD SEAL) Pardon not an expungement.

Last edited:

madwabbit

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 2, 2013
    Lafayette, LA
    Even filing an application is illegal with that background. Would they catch it, who knows. If they do your "hypothetical person" would be in a pot of boiling water.

aroundlsu

Bayou Photo Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Dec 21, 2007
    Baton Rouge
    Getting ready to apply for your permit is a great time to clear up all those little things in your closet. If any of those unpaid tickets are showing up on your driving record they are likely bench warrants now. I don't think LSP is going to let anyone with a bench warrant get a permit.

Did the old DWI result in an arrest? I'm sure it did. You have to list any arrests no matter what happened.

People have been arrested for leaving out information on their app. It's best if you disclose everything.

Rayneiac

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 4, 2013
    Plaquemine
    Sorry if I scared anyone....this really is a hypothetical "we are bored at work and deal with legal tangles all day" question.

Mods...you can close this if you want. I don't want to stir up a storm. Just my curious mind at work on issues we may face here at work with the current madness swirling around.

honestlou

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 17, 2009
    Baton Rouge
    Sorry if I scared anyone....this really is a hypothetical "we are bored at work and deal with legal tangles all day" question.

Mods...you can close this if you want. I don't want to stir up a storm. Just my curious mind at work on issues we may face here at work with the current madness swirling around.

If y'all are that bored at work, try to figure out if you can legally carry concealed with a permit if you are watching a parade. :)

Rayneiac

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 4, 2013
    Plaquemine
    NOLA has odd ordinances and then the debate if 'in' or 'at' the parade with the wording of the law and the government permit factor.

Basically, let's debate 'in' vs 'at' in a state where we 'make groceries' and 'get down' to do so.

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk 2

Rayneiac

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 4, 2013
    Plaquemine
    We didn't go as deep as that with our lunch debate. We just tried to imagine "Joe nobody" with a few blemishes.

*shrug*

LegallyArmedAm

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 15, 2013
    Lake Charles, LA
    If a parade "permit" was acquired you can't carry. But if it's a parade where no permit is required (some Christmas parades, 4th of July, etc.) then you can carry at it. In LA. Not being a know-it-all, just that this question came up in a group I was in and "those who know" were in the room. A little technicality.
    If y'all are that bored at work, try to figure out if you can legally carry concealed with a permit if you are watching a parade. :)

Rayneiac

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 4, 2013
    Plaquemine
    If a parade "permit" was acquired you can't carry. But if it's a parade where no permit is required (some Christmas parades, 4th of July, etc.) then you can carry at it. In LA. Not being a know-it-all, just that this question came up in a group I was in and "those who know" were in the room. A little technicality.

Ah....but if a permit WAS issued and the route runs down your street...yet you watch from your porch/driveway....then what?

Or your balcony in the case of some cities like NOLA.

aroundlsu

Bayou Photo Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Dec 21, 2007
    Baton Rouge

This has been beaten to death, but the general interpretation at the moment is a literal interpretation of the rule which states

"in a parade or demonstration for which a permit is issued by a governmental entity"

The keyword here is "in". If you are watching the parade you are not in the parade you are at the parade. So you can carry at a parade.

charlie12

Not a Fed.
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 21, 2008
    Pride

Got to watch those "those who know" they are the ones that usually don't know.

JBP55

La. CHP Instructor #409
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    338   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Walker
    This has been beaten to death, but the general interpretation at the moment is a literal interpretation of the rule which states

"in a parade or demonstration for which a permit is issued by a governmental entity"

The keyword here is "in". If you are watching the parade you are not in the parade you are at the parade. So you can carry at a parade.

This is the correct answer.

CCW

CCW
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 19, 2008
    Louisiana
    According to the "authorities" in nola, you are not allowed to carry "at" a parade with a concealed carry permit. Anyone volunteer to be a test case? See article below.

"State law prohibits firearms at all events that require a permit, like a parade or fair. Authorities said the law applies to everyone, even people who have legal conceal carry permits."

Read more: http://www.wdsu.com/news/local-news.../18295358/-/5jduj8/-/index.html#ixzz2JBOEaaa7

JBP55

La. CHP Instructor #409
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    338   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Walker
    According to the "authorities" in nola, you are not allowed to carry "at" a parade with a concealed carry permit. Anyone volunteer to be a test case? See article below.

"State law prohibits firearms at all events that require a permit, like a parade or fair. Authorities said the law applies to everyone, even people who have legal conceal carry permits."

Read more: http://www.wdsu.com/news/local-news.../18295358/-/5jduj8/-/index.html#ixzz2JBOEaaa7

The Concealed Handgun Division of La. State Police tells us otherwise.

CCW

CCW
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 19, 2008
    Louisiana
    I understand and agree that the law says otherwise. I am pointing out the problem when local authorities do not think the law applies to them.

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Jerry1090
    Top Bottom