I-10 in Baton Rouge

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • oleheat

Professional Amateur
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 18, 2009
    I can hear the 'mah head hurts an I'm havin' trouble breathin'' from a 25 mile radius already....:doh:

:rofl:

flamatrix99

Rating - 100%
    62   0   0
    Oct 7, 2008
    Zachary, La
    I am so glad I don't have to drive to Baton Rouge everyday for work. I get upset if i have to stop for one of the 5 street lights i pass on my way to work. LOL

TomTerrific

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 11, 2010
    Centre, Ky
    Went to dinner tonight with a client and friend who's with BRFD. Said it was a butane truck, and that the valves which would normally be used to safely offload the cargo were damaged in the wreck in such a way that they can neither be opened nor closed. And there's a slow leak in the truck. Therefore, the only option is to keep a safe perimeter and let it bleed out. Last he heard was that it could take until Friday!

Did he say where the leak was or is it in the loading/off-loading line/valve/whatever?

You really don't want two unloading systems on a rig like that.

The hazmat people know what they are doing. There is a veritable plethora of experience, so they do what's best for the safety of people around there first, traffic, and the environment.

Why they built the interstate smack dab thru BR amazes me, but then it had to do with $$$ and $$$ mix very well with La. politicians.

Do we need a loupe?
    :ohreally:

Leadfoot

Low Speed High Drag
    Rating - 100%
    104   0   0
    Mar 4, 2009
    Livingston Parish
    We absolutely need a loop, but it's "NOT IN MY BACKYARD" with all the property owners in the area.

As long as they pay me market value, they can run that bastard through my living room.

MOTOR51

Rating - 100%
    72   0   0
    Dec 23, 2008
    here
    I think they are using the term propane truck as everyone, well, almost everyone, knows what that means.

I believe the product was iso-butane. It is a bit heavier than propane, mw 58.1 vs 44.1, but both are very volatile and flammable. They are transported as liquids.

The hazmat crews are trying to avoid a BLEVE. I believe they will vent and burn it and you don't do that with traffic around.

Am I right in assuming the LSP HazMat people are handling this? I worked with them at the Livingston Derailment in 1982 and they know what they are doing, top notch.

Any help, Steve?

I was here in Livingston when the train derailed. I was a kid but I still remember waking up to all hell breaking loose.

MOTOR51

I_FLY_LOW

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 15, 2007
    Gonzales
    Do we need a loupe?
    :ohreally:
    :dunno:
    220px-Loupe-triplet-30x-0a.jpg

TomTerrific

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 11, 2010
    Centre, Ky
    I was here in Livingston when the train derailed. I was a kid but I still remember waking up to all hell breaking loose.

MOTOR51

Things were popping, literally, I bet.

I arrived on site about 1000hr

The LSP responded promptly and correctly and that response has been taught in hazmat classes since.

TomTerrific

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 11, 2010
    Centre, Ky
    Juat saw this. If it was directed at me:

In the first place, it isn't a crime scene so we're the last to know anything like that.

But in the main place, I learned as a fairly new trooper that this sort of deal is rife with ethyl-methyl-bad-****... and is why God made binoculars.

"Troop, its bad shitz. Send Haz-Mat!"

;)

You forget ethyl- hexyl- chicken wire. I don't think it's quite as bad as ethyl-methyl-badshit.

;)

Top Bottom