I-49 Tips?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Nevarwinter

*Banned*
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 28, 2011
    Gretna, LA
    Hey Ladies and Gentlemen. I'll be heading up to Shreveport, LA from the big NO and haven't taken I-49 in years. I generally don't speed because I don't like giving any more money to the state than they steal from me already, but are there any places I need to be extra vigilant about? Places where one or two mph over the limit will get me a ticket?

Thanks!

highstandard40

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 14, 2009
    Prairieville
    I travel I-49 a lot. DO NOT speed anywhere in St. Landry Parish. And it's not only LSP you have to watch for in that parish. Local and Parish are active in speed enforcement.

beauxdog

Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Sep 18, 2007
    Baton Rouge
    Becareful anywhere in Landry parish and near the Washington exit. I-49 runs through Landry Parish in several places and they sit in these areas waiting to jump you. Also, at the Washington exit, the local police have a small section of I-49 they control and they wait around the exit for any unsuspecting motorist to stummble into their web. Once you get above Alec. the road is mostly open. Travel that way a good bit. This is just what I'v seen.

Have a good trip.

Beauxdog

Last edited:

Specularius

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 5, 2008
    N31 20, W92 14
    Mile markers 10 to 41, keep an Eye out a few miles south of Natchitoches, the Mannsfield exit, and from the Frierson exit on into Shreveport. LSP has started watching this last streach real close due to the speed limit dropping from 75 to 60 in a short distance.

Hitman

® ™
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Sep 4, 2008
    Lake Charles
    Isn't it already up to 75mph for the most part? :dunno:

I've always set the cruise on around 78 mph on I-49. I've passed LSP in the median pointed right at me. I think they consider that reasonable. I've got a current LSP friend who said he'll pull over anyone doing 85+ without question. Doesn't mean the next trooper will be so gracious :dunno: :p

Log Island

Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 25, 2012
    Lafayette
    Mile markers 10 to 41, keep an Eye out a few miles south of Natchitoches, the Mannsfield exit, and from the Frierson exit on into Shreveport. LSP has started watching this last streach real close due to the speed limit dropping from 75 to 60 in a short distance.

Didn't know about this change, have been blowing through this area @75 lately. Good to know.
    And yes, St Landry Parish, especially from just south of the Washington exit thru to the Palmetto exit are the worst...IMO

Walrus

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 24, 2010
    Slidell
    ....and from the Frierson exit on into Shreveport. LSP has started watching this last streach real close due to the speed limit dropping from 75 to 60 in a short distance.

Yep... My son got zapped right there on his way back to school. $250+

Nevarwinter

*Banned*
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 28, 2011
    Gretna, LA
    Hello everyone. Thanks to your input, I managed to stay ticket free.

I did do a stoopid, though... I wasn't paying attention to the route I was taking home. When it took me off of I-49 and put me on 190, I thought, "I like seeing parts of Louisiana I don't normally get to see, so this will be nice."

Only after the 4th 45mph speed trap with accompanied waiting officer, did I realize that there's a reason I don't really do that any more.

Again, no tickets. Thanks for the input!

Oh, that rickety hunk of **** that passes for a bridge on 190 just outside of Baton Rouge is one rusted bolt and a hard kick from being a permanent obstruction on the bottom of the Mississippi. I swear I needed a tetanus shot just looking at it. To those of you that drive that POS daily, make sure you pack your life vests and scuba gear.

Beeramid

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Near Lafayette, La
    Isn't it already up to 75mph for the most part? :dunno:

I've always set the cruise on around 78 mph on I-49. I've passed LSP in the median pointed right at me. I think they consider that reasonable. I've got a current LSP friend who said he'll pull over anyone doing 85+ without question. Doesn't mean the next trooper will be so gracious :dunno: :p

The 75mph zone starts somewhere a little north of Opelousas.

JWG223

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Aug 16, 2011
    Shreveport
    Hey Ladies and Gentlemen. I'll be heading up to Shreveport, LA from the big NO and haven't taken I-49 in years. I generally don't speed because I don't like giving any more money to the state than they steal from me already, but are there any places I need to be extra vigilant about? Places where one or two mph over the limit will get me a ticket?

Thanks!
    Buy a radar detector, the whole thing is a mine field. Most cops just spam the airwaves, though, and are easy to detect miles in advance at times with decent hardware.

JWG223

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Aug 16, 2011
    Shreveport
    They like to hide about a miles north, and a mile or two south of the stonewall exit, too, in the median in the trees. Most spam hard, though, on k band for desoto locals, and ka for lsp and spd.

Top Bottom