I am no longer a Bass 5Pro customer !!!!

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • hunter5567

Monolithic Mentor
    Rating - 100%
    133   0   0
    Oct 9, 2006
    Denham Springs, LA. near B.R.
    Umm.... no he isn't making it an issue of race...how dare you accuse him of such a thing...you're the racist by saying "My wife, who is black, wrote Bass Pro...blah blah blah" Who cares where your wife's great, great, great, great grandparents lived...we're all Americans now. That makes about as much sense as me saying "My girlfriend, who is white and can't cook, wrote Bass Pro... blah, blah, blah. You used your wife ethnicity to get what you wanted..it's called playing the race card...shame on you. If she truly e-mailed Bass Pro without mentioning her race then why did you make it a point to tell us she was black?? Guess what...the world is full of "rude and mean spirited people" and they don't discriminate. The counter help is rude to me all the time and being 100% Scottish you can't get much "whiter" than me. It's attitudes like yours that perpetuate racism in this country.
    Holy Shi10 granolas, batman

Armnhammer

Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Apr 2, 2012
    Walker/Denham
    I went to the new academy and was the only one at the gun counter. Guy behind the counter knew nothing about guns and did not want to be there. After all the paperwork he says "I dont know what to tell you... But we can't sell guns right now." I explain I drove an hour and a half to get here and it was the only .308 in stock. I ask him to get the manager bc I didn't understand what the problem was. He comes and says the computer is messing up and the couldn't run background check. I told him he should be able to do it on the phone. Took 4 employees and the manager over 2 hours to run the background check. They wandered around asking what the SSL number was. Then after getting the manager on the phone turns out they needed the FFL not SSL.

Grendal

Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Feb 14, 2010
    Metairie
    So do you think you were treated that way because your wife is black? I only ask because other wise I can't see why you thought it relevant to the story. Was the letter to bass pro also informing the higher ups of your wife's race. I mean you got a 500 dollar gun because somebody told you to buy something where it was less expensive. If this were to case then I need to go over there and ask for a discount and bring my 1/8 American Indian wife with me. Maybe you left some details out of the story.

I am going to pay a black girl to go shopping with me at Bass Pro so I can get some free stuff too.

sksshooter

Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Jul 28, 2008
    Walker, LA
    my experience has pretty much been on par with everyone else who has posted. cabelas has had better service and prices every time ive dealt with them. the only down side to cabelas is all but 1 time that ive driven over there they did not have what i went there to purchase. every time ive been to cabelas though the staff has been more than willing to look for the item i'm after. the 1 time they actually had what i wanted the shelf stock was out. i asked one of the youger guys in the gun section for the item and he went in the back and did some digging. took him about 20 minutes (had to do some digging) but he returned with the item i wanted.

as for bass pro, I don't think i've ever even once handled a firearm there and even during the middle of the day when there was not a single customer at the gun counter while i was browsing, have i been asked if i needed some help. they all just stand around with their thumbs up their ass. my purchases are limited at basspro and more times than not when i do make a purchase it's for something i need then and i pull up the item from cabelas on my phone and have to get them to price match it. the only polite service i have recieved from bass pro has been from the cashiers. even the people that work in the fudge shop are rude. brought the kids in there to get fudge and it was like i was bothering her.

VeedUp

Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    54   0   0
    Oct 15, 2007
    Destrehan, La.
    Damn, the old lady in the fudge shop at cabelas gave each of my kids a free piece while we were there last time. I offered to pay she said it was on the house today.

LaRelicHunter

Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 21, 2012
    Denham Springs La
    I shop Bass Pro frequently most of the employees are friendly so for I have had no bad experiences. They are geared up for fishing way more than hunting and there sales people in the gun section are not trained correctly. The manager of the gun section seems to be the only knowledgeable person there.
    Not the ideal place to shop for guns but they do have a decent amount of holsters' gun bags and mag pull accessory's. also a decent hand gun range.
    Every since the Christmas set up they have been crazy up there. Kids running wild all over the store. And I also notice half the people at the gun area or more curious window shopping with no intentions of buying anything other than handling the cool looking AR's witch seem to be the latest craze!
    My rules of BP would be never buy ammo there it's outrages and do my home work before pulling a number because they absolutely know nothing about guns.
    I just stick to special sales there on what I know and do my serious gun shopping at Cabalas or local shops.

RyanW

Koch-head
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 5, 2010
    Baton Rouge
    When I was on the hunt for my P2000SK, I went to Bass Pro, because they were the only place with one. It was overpriced, and had a trigger lock on it. They wouldn't budge on either one. Anyone who knows anything about HK knows that you have to be able to pull the trigger to verify which variant it is on the newer LEM's, when you don't have the box to tell you. He wouldn't get the box for me to verify, wouldn't pull the trigger lock off, and wasn't willing to budge on price. I know these people don't make commission, so why is it not in their best interest to help a customer get a better price, hell the people at friggin Best Buy always give me a discount when I ask.

I just don't understand the trigger lock rule. I get that some people don;t want the guns dry-fired all damn day, but you really can't tell how well a gun fits in your hand, especially a sub-compact, with that stupid cheap ass lock in there.

Ritten

SSST Mad Scientist
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Dec 8, 2007
    Thibodaux, Louisiana
    I have a guy who I work with who will refuse to go to a restaurant because he got bad service one time after eating there for years. Every other time the food, service and price was great. How idiotic does that sound???

There are very few things in Cabelas or Bass Pro that I couldn't get cheaper as a retailer/dealer myself and even fewer things that the employees could inform me about better than the research I can do on my own. I still go there for the atmosphere and convenience when I'm in the area and have only met friendly and courteous employees at both.

JBP55

La. CHP Instructor #409
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    338   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Walker
    I have a guy who I work with who will refuse to go to a restaurant because he got bad service one time after eating there for years. Every other time the food, service and price was great. How idiotic does that sound???

There are very few things in Cabelas or Bass Pro that I couldn't get cheaper as a retailer/dealer myself and even fewer things that the employees could inform me about better than the research I can do on my own. I still go there for the atmosphere and convenience when I'm in the area and have only met friendly and courteous employees at both.

I was going to post basically the same thing.

rrussotwo

Jedi Knight
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Baton Rouge
    I've had experiences at BP ranging from abysmal to stellar. Sadly, abysmal seems to be more gun-counter (and range) related.

I once waited for 60 minutes to shoot at the range when NO ONE else was shooting. They couldn't find anyone not-too-busy to let me in.

I've overheard gun counter employees being rude, give the wrong information, and give horrible gun advice to potential customers.

I've witnessed outright racist treatment to one customer because he didn't look like them and magically watched the attitude change when the next guy's (who did look like them) number was called.

I've asked to see guns that they said they didn't have and that they've never heard of only to have to point them out in their own shelves.

I've also seen professional treatment regardless of the customers' race/sex/attitude. Some employees are better than others.

Everywhere else at BP has been by-and-large excellent, regardless of employee.

I prefer Cabelas, but BP is just down the road and I've been a range member there for a while now. I shoot a lot and they're the most convenient range for me.

Last edited:

CEHollier

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Dec 29, 2007
    Prairieville
    Contact a manager and let him/her know what happened. Then go to Cabella's. I know the GM Paul and some of the gun counter employees. They would love to assist you in your purchase.

LabRat

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 13, 2012
    Baton Rouge
    In my experience, Academy is always the place to go first for everything, they are routinely 10-20% cheaper than BPS or Cabelas. There "hot deals" used to be incredible, but have lost some luster as of late though. My issue with Academy is that their ammo, never or rarely goes on sale, and when it does, it is not enough of a bargain to roll up with a cart. I have bought several guns from each location in BR and have had good experiences at both. Not that could ever answer a lot of questions, but they could show you what you wanted to see, and competent with the background checks. As far as the other two, I find that Cabelas is better for anything firearms and/or hunting related and BPS for fishing. I have found myself at Cabelas a lot lately due to some really good sales on ammo and other shooting related items and I have always gotten excellent service regardless of the knowledge of the salesman. I went in not too long ago to look at and buy a Kahr, the salesman never heard of Kahr, but promptly walked over to the area they should be and asked if I saw one that I would like to look at. he also took out an LC9 to let me hold them side by side, which suprised me.

Bottom line, Academy first, Cabelas for shooting stuff only, and basically, never BPS because Academy usally has everything I need for fishing.

charliepapa

Clandestine Sciuridae
    Rating - 100%
    130   0   0
    Jul 12, 2009
    Prairieville
    I just don't understand the trigger lock rule. I get that some people don;t want the guns dry-fired all damn day, but you really can't tell how well a gun fits in your hand, especially a sub-compact, with that stupid cheap ass lock in there.

me either. I was at cabela's yesterday to check out a single-action revolver. I brought one of mine in with me for comparison. it was checked in at the door, cylinder removed and trigger lock installed. I took a number and waited my turn. when it was my turn, I explained to the guy that my revolver was down by their register, so he went and got it. It was still missing the cylinder and the lock was still on it. I asked if we could remove the lock and put the cylinder back in since the whole idea was to compare his and mine to determine if I wanted to buy his. He said no he couldn't, even though his was right next to mine, a complete, ready to fire revolver with no missing parts and no lock. made no sense whatsoever.

...I went in not too long ago to look at and buy a Kahr, the salesman never heard of Kahr, but promptly walked over to the area they should be and asked if I saw one that I would like to look at. he also took out an LC9 to let me hold them side by side, which suprised me.

something similar to this also happened yesterday. the two revolvers I was comparing were .22LR. They were full-sized and when I asked about comparing them to a Ruger Bearcat, the guy acted like he had never heard of them and then actually said they didn't have one. I hadn't looked until that point, but I simply bent down to look in the case we were standing in front of and it was the first thing my eyes came across. I pointed it out to him and we were able to look at it. I guess it's just frustrating because the clerks seem either way too eager to either blow you off so they don't have to reveal their ignorance, or the opposite end of the spectrum where they are willing to tell you all kinds of stuff they have no idea about, to the point of being obnoxious.

Last edited:

LabRat

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 13, 2012
    Baton Rouge

Ever heard the old saying "it takes 10 years to gain a customers loyalty, and 10 minutes to lose it"? In my experience it's true.

PPBart

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 25, 2012
    Denham Springs, LA
    ...The BP guys are the worst combo of rude, ignorant and lazy.

Pretty strong comment, but I guess I would have to agree if we're talking about the gun crew. I have tried to purchase guns at BP, but in every instance the service just wasn't up to par with what other vendors offered -- either outright ignorance and rude behavior by the staff, or (in one instance) adamant refusal to price-match. Consequently I've bought three guns at Cabella's and one at Academy (I know those are minor numbers compared to many on here), and typically only go into BP for the range. If the excuse is to blame temp staff, maybe BP should pay some attention to their hiring practices -- hire folks with some gun knowledge for the gun counter(!)

And I'm white, anglo-saxon, Protestant.

BTW -- I wonder if BP ever looks at on-line comments about their stores?

Last edited:

SGT_Kramer

Knuckle Buster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 23, 2010
    Ball
    Whenever I run into a rude employee especially in a large store I make it a point to make it a very bad day for that employee. I try to be a nice guy all day but it's much easier for me to be a a$$hole so I make the best of it. I always end up getting things my way and If I don't have time that day I'll be back to find that employee again. I really try not to rule a place out because one employee though.

dantheman

I despise ARFCOM
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Jan 9, 2008
    City of Central
    My wife , who is half Mexican ( and has nothing to do with anything ) is a manager in a Lowe's . When one of her employees is rude to a customer , SHE WANTS TO KNOW . They can't fix the problem if they aren't aware of it . If a gun counter guy is rude or even incompetent , tell somebody in charge !

barbarossa

Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jun 18, 2010
    Baton Rouge
    me either. I was at cabela's yesterday to check out a single-action revolver. I brought one of mine in with me for comparison. it was checked in at the door, cylinder removed and trigger lock installed. I took a number and waited my turn. when it was my turn, I explained to the guy that my revolver was down by their register, so he went and got it. It was still missing the cylinder and the lock was still on it. I asked if we could remove the lock and put the cylinder back in since the whole idea was to compare his and mine to determine if I wanted to buy his. He said no he couldn't, even though his was right next to mine, a complete, ready to fire revolver with no missing parts and no lock. made no sense whatsoever.

No, the rules make no sense. I have a concealed carry permit. Here I just bought a rifle at Cabelas, but I can't actually carry it out the door. I have to follow an employee carrying a boxed up new rifle out the door for me while I legally carry a loaded pistol in my pocket.

As for Bass Pro, I use the range there and have never had an issue with the staff. Always friendly and nice to me. I would however, not buy a gun there because of their trigger lock rule. It's just stupid. Again, if you have a CCP, you can carry all the guns you want inside Bass Pro, they won't even put a lock on the guns you take to the range. You're standing at the gun counter with a range bag full of unlocked pistols, and your loaded carry piece to boot, all legal and per their own rules, but they won't take the lock of the gun you want to buy. Sorry, if I can't pull the trigger, I'm not buying.

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spydy
    Top Bottom