I Bubba'd my SKS, what'cha think?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • PAPACHUCK

Certified Gun Nut
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Sep 21, 2006
    Outside Slidell
    Well. one of them anyway. I had an old beat-up paratrooper that needed some flair, so away I went. It's always been a great shooter, absolutely reliable and hits what I aim for.

Original configuration;

IMG_0049.jpg

Butt-ugly, ain't it?

Now with a Tapco stock set and Walther red-dot with VFG;

IMG_1458.jpg

OK, now it's kinda cool, but it needed more, so..............

Out comes the Krylon!!

IMG_1490.jpg

IMG_1486.jpg

IMG_1484.jpg

What'cha think? :)

sam4freedom

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Oct 8, 2009
    Zachary
    good job. I like it. Mine was bubba'd when I got it but I put it in a Tapco stock as well. I don't have a para but I want one.

Ben Segrest

Rating - 96.3%
    26   1   0
    Oct 20, 2008
    Lafayette
    Know how I know you're gay? Seriously though, I'm not a fan. The removable mags have a bad rep for reliability. That optic looks way to high also. And I don't like that it's mounted to the handguard

spanky

Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    141   0   0
    Sep 12, 2006
    Gonzales, LA
    Pretty sure. Stock, gas tube/piston, mag, muzzlebreak should cover me.

Someone with more knowledge than me can correct me if im wrong but 922r is about removing foreign parts, not just adding u.s. parts so the muzzle brake doesn't count.

And counting the mag is iffy. As soon as you remove it, those parts count no more.

Ben Segrest

Rating - 96.3%
    26   1   0
    Oct 20, 2008
    Lafayette
    Just how many of these parts are in an SKS Carbine?

Here are the relevant parts in an SKS Carbine:

1. Receiver

2. Barrel

3. Bolt

4. Bolt carrier

5. Gas piston

6. Trigger housing

7. Trigger

8. Hammer

9. Sear

10. Disconnector (see below)

11. Stock

12. Handguard

13. Magazine body

14. Follower

Note: This list has been confirmed by ATF. For more information, check out the discussion of 18 USC § 922(r) parts count on the Survivor's SKS Boards web site.

madmax4x4

HONKY
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 31, 2009
    New Orleans
    Someone with more knowledge than me can correct me if im wrong but 922r is about removing foreign parts, not just adding u.s. parts so the muzzle brake doesn't count.

And counting the mag is iffy. As soon as you remove it, those parts count no more.

In a way. It's about having no more then 10 foreign parts. With out the mag you will have 3 less parts. That 3 less in the total parts count over all. So with out the mag you will not be adding forein parts to the count. Only if you put a foreign mag in the gun. I'm not sure what the parts count is on a stock sks. If someone can look it up then you can tell how many foreign stock parts are now us made.

Last edited:

oleheat

Professional Amateur
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 18, 2009
    In a way. It's about having no more then 10 foreign parts. With out the mag you will have 3 less parts. That 3 less in the total parts count over all. So with out the mag you will not be adding forein parts to the count. Only if you put a foreign mag in the gun

Was the paint made here? :D

J/K....I think it looks great...Two thumbs up!:bigok:

jessopher

Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 26, 2010
    covington
    Actually those 20round mags are surprisingly reliable. I think those stocks are ugly but that is just me, but what is with your scope mount? Looks kinda high. Oh and the paint came out really well.

Last edited:

PAPACHUCK

Certified Gun Nut
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Sep 21, 2006
    Outside Slidell
    The Tapco 20rd. mags are indeed very reliable, and it counts as three parts. From my understanding, I needed to exchange 5 total parts, and the muzzlebreak being pinned on (non-removable) also adds 1 part, together with the stock and gas piston gets me to 6.

The red dot is a Walther P22 sight that comes with see-through mount for about $80. Yes, it is high and no cheek weld is gonna happen with it, but I can use my irons if needed, and where ever I put the red dot, a .30cal hole appears. I didn't expect much buying a red dot and mount together for less than $80, but so far I'm definitely impressed. The dot has not shifted thru about 150rds, but time will tell.

I'm much more impressed with the Walther sight than the Eotech clone I recently got.

It's all about function with this gun, looks be damned. I give it a thumbs up so far.

Ben Segrest

Rating - 96.3%
    26   1   0
    Oct 20, 2008
    Lafayette
    In a way. It's about having no more then 10 foreign parts. With out the mag you will have 3 less parts. That 3 less in the total parts count over all. So with out the mag you will not be adding forein parts to the count. Only if you put a foreign mag in the gun. I'm not sure what the parts count is on a stock sks. If someone can look it up then you can tell how many foreign stock parts are now us made.

I posted the SKS parts count directly above your post. Also, a stock sks mag only counts as 2 parts as the body and floor plate are a single piece.

bs875

Rating - 100%
    232   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    Baton Rouge

This. Here's a calculator.

http://thegunwiki.com/Gunwiki/BuildSKSVerifyCompliance

If I counted correctly there are nine foreign parts on that rifle in it's new configuration.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Donut Man
    Top Bottom