I call BS (not the good kind)

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Cat

*Banned*
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 5, 2009
    NE of Alexandria, Cenla
    I was surfing google and came across these statistics. Most of them are leftist anti-gun liberal mutterings but the first one I have to call ******** on.

http://www.vpc.org/fact_sht/womenfs.htm
    Women and Firearms Violence Fact Sheet

In 1999, 4,174 women were killed with firearms. The majority of women died by suicide (2,120 females), while 45 percent died by homicide (1,884 females). An additional 117 females died from unintentional injuries, six died by legal intervention, and 47 female firearm deaths were classified as undetermined.

In 1999, homicide was the second leading cause of death among all young women ages 15 to 24. Suicide was the fourth leading cause of death for this same age group. The majority of these deaths (58 percent) can be attributed to firearms.

Minority women are disproportionately affected by homicide, particularly by firearms homicide. In 1999, homicide was one of the top five leading causes of death for black females and for Hispanic females aged one to 34. The firearms homicide rate for black females 15 to 24 years of age (7.8 per 100,000) was nearly five times the rate among white females in the same age group (1.6 per 100,000) in 1999, while the rate for Hispanic women that year (3.2 per 100,000) was 33 percent higher than the rate for non-Hispanic women (2.4 per 100,000).

With the increased marketing of firearms�specifically handguns�to women for self-defense, female patterns of suicide have changed. In 1970 poisoning was the suicide method most commonly used by women. This means has decreased in inverse proportion to handgun use. Now, like men, women most often kill themselves with firearms. In 1999, 2,120 females killed themselves with guns.

A woman is far more likely to be killed by her husband, an intimate acquaintance, or a family member than murdered by a stranger or an unidentified intruder. A 1976 to 1987 analysis of Federal Bureau of Investigation data revealed that more than twice as many women were shot and killed by their husbands or intimate acquaintances than were murdered by strangers using firearms, knives, or any other means.

Intimate partners and guns pose a lethal threat to women. From 1976 to 1999, approximately one third of female homicide victims were killed by an intimate partner. From 1990 to 1999, nearly two thirds of female victims of intimate partner homicide were killed with a gun.

The gun industry's pitch to women is simple: you're a woman; some stranger's going to try and rape you; you'd better buy a handgun. In truth, women are most likely to be victimized by people they know. According to the National Victim Center, 75 percent of all rapes involve offenders known to the victim�including neighbors, friends, husbands, boyfriends, and relatives. Rape in America is a tragedy of youth, with the majority of cases occurring during childhood and adolescence. More than six out of every 10 rapes occur to children and adolescents under the age of 18. According to the Gun Control Act of 1968, persons must be at least 18 years of age to purchase a long gun and 21 years of age to buy a handgun from a licensed dealer.

A 1997 study found that having one or more guns in the home made a woman 3.4 times more likely to be the victim of a homicide. Additionally, when looking at whether a woman would be killed at the hands of a spouse, intimate acquaintance, or close relative, the authors found having one or more guns in the home made a woman 7.2 times more likely to be the victim of such a homicide.

9) The risks of handgun ownership far outweigh the benefits. In 2000, for every one time a woman used a handgun to kill a stranger in self-defense, 222 women were murdered in handgun homicides.

10) The cost of providing medical care alone for firearm injuries in the United States in 1995 was projected to have been $4 billion.

I flat out disbelieve more women die from self inflicted gunshots than a crazy boyfriend. Has tides changed? Really, has "our" method of suicide turned masculine?

Last, I can see that. Gunshot victims cost tax dollars, especially when you consider many people that are seen for violent firearm injuries are thugs, gang members, illegal residents, and so forth? I can bet they don't have health insurance. Now I know a great many people have been jacked with over their health insurance. This is where my liberal hippie candy coating comes out to play. Part of me twitches at the "KICK "EM OUT" concept (even poor Mexican illegals. I'm sorry Charles!) but I admit it, it wouldn't hurt my feelings a bit to tell these gang twerps no insurance, no help, bye-bye.

Interesting, I'd love to know where they got the homicide vs suicide statistics. Edit to add: I'm just about to go google the National Vital Statistics.

And according to this I'm actually in danger of allowing my husband to possess firearms because he might decide to kill me one day. :rolleyes:

Last edited:

butterfly

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 23, 2009
    Walker (Livingston Parish)
    With the increased marketing of firearms�specifically handguns�to women for self-defense, female patterns of suicide have changed. In 1970 poisoning was the suicide method most commonly used by women. This means has decreased in inverse proportion to handgun use. Now, like men, women most often kill themselves with firearms. In 1999, 2,120 females killed themselves with guns.

I flat out disbelieve more women die from self inflicted gunshots than a crazy boyfriend. Has tides changed? Really, has "our" method of suicide turned masculine?

Hi Cat (and everyone else):wavey: ,
    I'm a new member who just joined yesterday. I'm trying to educate myself because I would like to purchase a handgun for self-defense.

I have no idea where the statistics came from that you found through Google, and it's true that statistics are manipulated all the time to try to push an issue. The anti-gun libs are especially good at that. The one thing I can respond to with some authority is on the issue of suicide.

Unfortunately, I am a member of a group known as Survivors of Suicide. The requirement for entry into this group is that you need to have lost a loved one to suicide. In 2007 my 31 year old daughter took her own life. :wtc: She used a handgun to do it.

When I became a member of that survivors group--both a local group in Baton Rouge and an online group that is international--I learned that these days the majority of women who die by suicide do indeed use handguns. However, I don't believe it has anything to do with the marketing of handguns to women for self-defense. Unlike me, my daughter was very liberal and definitely anti-gun.

What I have found in talking to literally hundreds of people who have lost either a mother, a daughter, a sister, a wife or a girlfriend to suicide, is that a HUGE number of them fall into a similar category as my daughter. My daughter suffered from a severe case of bipolar syndrome which started when she hit puberty. She also suffered from physical illnesses that kept her in constant pain with a body that just didn't work like it should. She made her first suicide attempt at age 16 by taking a family-sized bottle of tylenol to school and swallowing the entire contents. A short while after doing that she had second thoughts about it so she went to the office, told them what she had done and said that someone better take her to the hospital.

Over the years, I know she attempted suicide a number of times using pills. Each time, she would either have second thoughts later, or else a friend or roommate would find her and she would wind up in the hospital. In the end--when she could no longer stand the suffering--she planned her suicide. She had learned that pills were not a reliable means of suicide because she had tried and failed by that method several times. She wanted to make sure that this would be the last time she would have to try, so she purchased a handgun for the sole purpose of ending her life. She also purchased enough alcohol to boost her courage to be able to pull the trigger.

To this day, the majority of girls and women who attempt suicide do so with pills. Most of the women who eventually use guns to take their own lives have already attempted to end their suffering with pills. Using a gun to complete the act of suicide is much more a measure of their desperation to end their suffering than a result of the marketing of handguns to women.

Hopefully, what I have learned by becoming a suicide survivor will help others to understand some of the statistics that are thrown around out there. As I said at the beginning of my post, I would like to buy a handgun and learn how to use it for self-defense. To me, it only makes sense. Our country--along with the rest of the world--is getting crazier and more dangerous every day. I live alone most of the time because my husband is a trucker and my son now lives in Arizona. As much as I love and I miss my daughter, I have no desire to follow her lead. Thinking that the police can save me if there is a problem is simply unrealistic. Ultimately, we are each responsible for our own safety.

SVTFreak

Huh?
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Galvez
    Welcome butterfly. Thanks for the view of a survivor and props for not buying into the view that the gun did it. I'm sorry for your loss but glad that you have found help and solace in others in the same situation.

The liberals like to blame it on the firearms but fail to realize that the suicide would happen anyway.

Cat

*Banned*
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 5, 2009
    NE of Alexandria, Cenla
    Wow... First off welcome :)! That's an amazing first post.

I always believed women are stereotypically passive in their suicides, using pills. Thank you for sharing. I was curious to how realistic these numbers were but had no clue in finding the information. That is a common element I've found with "untypical" or unpublicized deaths though. I lost a daughter as well, two years old. She was run over by an uncle and until you're part of the stastic, a person has no idea just how common it is. (there are no "accident" support groups, really but we're out there) Discovering was a hell of an eye opener. So your post and sharing means alot to me.

My husband used to travel quite a bit and I always felt safer with a firearm. We have a three year old boy so pistols are only in unlocked cabinets while Daddys gone. Welcome to the board again. I'm glad you're here.

Last edited:

butterfly

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 23, 2009
    Walker (Livingston Parish)
    Thanks to all for your welcome notes. I appreciate your support. I really didn't mean to burst on the scene with a massive, heavy first post. I just saw a question that needed to be answered in a field where I have become an unwilling expert. Statistics like the ones Cat found are almost always spun in a way that is designed to vilify the evil gun. Blaming the inanimate object is always a popular tool for those who don't believe in personal responsibility. Saying that the gun is responsible for a shooting death is the same as saying that the car is to blame when someone is struck and killed by a drunk driver. :doh:

Last edited:

Cat

*Banned*
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 5, 2009
    NE of Alexandria, Cenla
    Thanks to all for your welcome notes. I appreciate your support. I really didn't mean to burst on the scene with a massive, heavy first post. I just saw a question that needed to be answered in a field where I have become an unwilling expert. Statistics like the ones Cat found are almost always spun in a way that is designed to vilify the evil gun. Blaming the inanimate object is always a popular tool for those who don't believe in personal responsibility. Saying that the gun is responsible for a shooting death is the same as saying that the car is to blame when someone is struck and killed by a drunk driver. :doh:

I don't think you'll find a single person to disagree with you there. Some of the guys are rather heated when someone suggests that. :mamoru:

JOmega

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 20, 2009
    Baton Rouge
    What is especially sad is prevalence of domestic violence. The stories from the Battered Women's Shelter right here in Baton Rouge are heartbreaking. Guns are not the real issue. How the violence is committed is not the issue. The tragedy is how many women are in these desperate situations with so little hope of relief. And yes, Guns are too often either the scapegoat for the problem or, as in this case, a distraction from the bigger issue at hand. Statistics take on a whole new meaning when you have a family member, employee, or friend who is "a statistic" or "just another number" being used to prove someone elses point and to facilitate their agenda.

ps. Welcome and kudos to my fellow newbie.

WILDCATT

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    MANNING SC
    women and guns

welcome Butterfly so sorry for your lose.
    I have had two wives and both had their own guns.we paticipated in pistol matches and they were excelent shots.my daughter also.I was married 31 yrs and she passed away now I am married 31 to this girl.
    Its a culture thing the violence.this country is not as bad as many others.
    sweden and switzerland have high suicide rates.
    I once wrote an article on counties and stated that remove the blacks from the statistics and we had less crime than england.The FBI has statistics,its how they are used.before the 1968 law any one could walkin and buy a gun.
    and we kids had all kinds of pistols and 22 rifles.then WW2 came and we left
    to go to war.many did not come back.and the country is now taken over by liberal wackos.:(

Top Bottom