I fear for our country

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Whitebread

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 3, 2015
    near by
    Anytime I would weld critical stuff cages, links, control arms, etc and etc it was only Tig never Mig. I haven't worked on race cars for last 10 or so years but if I started back I would only use Tig.

If you weld Mig don't assume just because the welds "look" good that they are strong.

TIG is freakin art, and it's pretty pricey to get set up which is why many amateurs/novices would "graduate" to it. My experiences with MIG welds that looked good but broke had good penetration on one piece but not the other typical mistake for me was an inside corner. It looked liked it had good penetration and it did halfway. When working with multiple thicknesses it's an easy mistake to make.

Metryshooter

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jul 11, 2010
    130dwb.jpg
    Don't you know everyone is fit to be an executive these days. No one wants to do any dirty work, they're too good for it. If you do find a skilled, honest tradesman, expect to pay.
    I recently had a small section of roof repaired by an English speaking non-felon. I was surprised at what the 'going rate' is.

Whitebread

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 3, 2015
    near by
    Don't you know everyone is fit to be an executive these days. No one wants to do any dirty work, they're too good for it. If you do find a skilled, honest tradesman, expect to pay.
    I recently had a small section of roof repaired by an English speaking non-felon. I was surprised at what the 'going rate' is.

It's more than just people not wanting to do the dirty or sweaty or laborious jobs. They don't want to think or do any of their own leg work. Everyone wants an easy button. I have found this time and time again with office personnel. And it's not just millennials. Usually I would specifically bash millennials for our right laziness but more and more I see it effecting all generations in the work place.

BigP623

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 27, 2014
    Lacombe, LA
    Third party... yeah, works great for the Democrats. Always for them. Never for us.

This may be the one cycle that proves that theory false. As stated Johnson is a liberaltarian. He has left leaning values and has been proven to be stealing a pretty sizeable chunk from her in some key states.

And on people saying why vote for him, build a third rail, etc, this election gives us the chance to do that. With Johnson polling higher in some key states with liberals, pushing the party past that 5% popular vote barrier gives them federal funding next election cycle and ensures 50 state ballot access. This is one of the rare opportunities to send a big F U to the Republicans thay have been back stabbing us and pave the way for a real 3rd party. Without Johnson next time of course.

Last edited:

DAVE_M

_________
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    ________
    Don't you know welders are self taught now days?

I was self taught too, but then again, that's not my profession lol

I know a lot of guys who are simi-self taught, myself included. I had a Hobart rep who did all the welding repairs for "Ultimate Adventure" (off-roading event) teach me some basics on a couple different machines mainly a MIG. Then it was practice, test, research, practice, test, research until I built up enough confidence to weld critical stuff. I developed a skill. A true welder/fabricator tradesmen can typically work with multiple methods because they learned a trade.

Let me know when you learn how to make a full pen butt weld/flare bevel.

DAVE_M

_________
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    ________
    Tig is the only welding process that I'm not self taught in? And at one time welding was my profession.

All the professional welders that I know were welders since their sophomore year of high school. Some went on to work in controlled environments welding titanium "things" and making more money than some doctors. I can only assume aerospace stuff, because they wouldn't tell me what it was.

Whitebread

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 3, 2015
    near by
    Let me know when you learn how to make a full pen butt weld/flare bevel.

Well I wouldn't consider using true butts for most of my applications. More requent would be T-butts, varying corner configurations, butts with backing, rosetts, and overlapping joints. I have welded some butts on exhaust and while they did not leak I wouldn't have put much more faith in them. And honestly I hate welding exhaust pipe so much that. If I had to do it again I wouldn't. Most guys I know in the sport won't do true butt welds on tubing either instead they would find or make a slug insert it into the tube rosett the two pieces to the slug and then weld a butt with backing it forms a much stronger joint. The reason you would never want to weld a true butt at least from my angle would the metal surrounding the weld is weakened by the heat of the weld you never want a weak point on the center of a node. It needs to be at a joint where it has less leverage. I kind of geek out on fab work.

Last edited:

DAVE_M

_________
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Apr 17, 2009
    ________
    Well I wouldn't consider using true butts for most of my applications. More requent would be T-butts, varying corner configurations, butts with backing, rosetts, and overlapping joints. I have welded some butts on exhaust and while they did not leak I wouldn't have put much more faith in them. And honestly I hate welding exhaust pipe so much that. If I had to do it again I wouldn't. Most guys I know in the sport won't do true butt welds on tubing either instead they would find or make a slug insert it into the tube rosett the two pieces to the slug and then weld a butt with backing it forms a much stronger joint. The reason you would never want to weld a true butt at least from my angle would the metal surrounding the weld is weakened by the heat of the weld you never want a weak point on the center of a node. It needs to be at a joint where it has less leverage. I kind of geek out on fab work.

You'd **** a brick if you knew what I've "fabbed" for a living.

Try welding a full pen butt weld on 1" plate and get back to me :D

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Donut Man
    Top Bottom