I finally bit the bullet and got a new M&P9.

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Vanilla Gorilla

The Gringo Pistolero
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 22, 2008
    The Caracal I've played with has the single best striker-fired trigger out of the box of anything I've ever touched. The sights, as Pablo says, are rotten though-- and AFAIK, there's no other options out there just yet.

A good machinist could fix all of that pretty easily, though-- at least in terms of that seemingly easy-to-swap rear (or centrally located) "block" that holds the notch.

They are odd internally, but I'd be interested to see exactly how well they do in regards to durability and reliability in adverse/hard use conditions.

Its made by Arabs. Arabs can't pour concrete.

LouisianaGuy

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 29, 2011
    Walker, LA
    I have been wondering what all the hype over the M&P's is all about.
    I have fondled several of them and dont like the weight and balance of the weapon in my hand.
    I think one of the most comforable hand guns i have held next to the 1911 is the Walther P99 ...That thing feels like it was made from a mold of my hand.
    May get one tomorrow :p

Guate_shooter

LA CHP Instructor # 522
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Dec 4, 2009
    (Breaux Bridge)
    Remember how awesome the Steyr M9 was???? No wait.... Nevermind.

Steyr AUG was one of their better designs though, not all their products were trash, some were purposely driven.

We shall see what the Caracal does, I cant say for sure good or bad YET.

Like the M&P line its only a baby crapping green when compared to the 30 years Glock has been in existence.

Vanilla Gorilla

The Gringo Pistolero
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 22, 2008
    Burbitz didn't design the AUG. I think Steyr builds good rifles. The AUG not so much but their bolt guns are excellent. The last time Burbitz or Bubitz was given carte blanche he gave us the M9. It was unimpressive. That's all I'm saying. I look at new guns like Research Meds; I'll wait and see what they do to the monkeys...

biggie1447

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 25, 2010
    Slidell
    I have been wondering what all the hype over the M&P's is all about.
    I have fondled several of them and dont like the weight and balance of the weapon in my hand.
    I think one of the most comforable hand guns i have held next to the 1911 is the Walther P99 ...That thing feels like it was made from a mold of my hand.
    May get one tomorrow :p

I got the M&P over the glock because I liked the grip and grip angle better. When I did some experimental target acquisition before buying I noticed that the sights and target alligned up almost perfectly as I brought the gun up. When I tried the same with the glock i was always looking at the top of the extraction port. Also liked the walther PPQ but I figured that mags, parts, and accessories were more available for the M&P.

JBP55

La. CHP Instructor #409
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    338   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Walker
    I got the M&P over the glock because I liked the grip and grip angle better. When I did some experimental target acquisition before buying I noticed that the sights and target alligned up almost perfectly as I brought the gun up. When I tried the same with the glock i was always looking at the top of the extraction port. Also liked the walther PPQ but I figured that mags, parts, and accessories were more available for the M&P.

If you were looking at the ejection port you must not lock your wrists when you shoot.

Sugarbug

Sugarbug don't care.
    Rating - 100%
    54   0   1
    Feb 5, 2012
    Slidell
    I like both platforms.

Somehow, I was more accurate with my wife's m&p 9c than I was with my G17 at the same range. Had every intention of getting an M&P 9c for myself to carry, but the grip is just too short (even with the pinky extension) and the +5 extension makes it print just as bad as the G17 with less barrel. Ended up getting a G19 from Ronnie. I like the feel.

Different strokes for different folks.

Sin-ster

GM of 4 Letter Outbursts
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Somehow, I was more accurate with my wife's m&p 9c than I was with my G17 at the same range.

A lot of people get frame drag on the Glock with the trigger finger, and because the weight of the pull begins notably forward in the travel, it often magnifies the push or creates an issue of its own.

Once the rotten factory pull is done away with, most folks tend to shoot the M&P better by default than they do a Glock. But it's not a substitute for fundamentals-- no one who can really put either gun through its full paces has a ton of trouble with the other platform, although the oddities of the hand-to-frame-and-trigger interaction can still be an issue, albeit a lesser one.

I've still yet to so much as hear of a Glock that could match a fully doctored M&P in trigger pull-- although in a near-stock, SD/HD/hard use configuration, I wouldn't say that one is any better than the other. Different of course, but relatively equal.

Sugarbug

Sugarbug don't care.
    Rating - 100%
    54   0   1
    Feb 5, 2012
    Slidell
    A lot of people get frame drag on the Glock with the trigger finger, and because the weight of the pull begins notably forward in the travel, it often magnifies the push or creates an issue of its own.

Once the rotten factory pull is done away with, most folks tend to shoot the M&P better by default than they do a Glock. But it's not a substitute for fundamentals-- no one who can really put either gun through its full paces has a ton of trouble with the other platform, although the oddities of the hand-to-frame-and-trigger interaction can still be an issue, albeit a lesser one.

I've still yet to so much as hear of a Glock that could match a fully doctored M&P in trigger pull-- although in a near-stock, SD/HD/hard use configuration, I wouldn't say that one is any better than the other. Different of course, but relatively equal.

Could be that my Glock was still relatively new (under 600 rounds) and the M&P 9c was in the 2000s.

Sin-ster

GM of 4 Letter Outbursts
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Could be that my Glock was still relatively new (under 600 rounds) and the M&P 9c was in the 2000s.

Definitely could have made it worse-- grittier/heavier pull, what have you.

But remember-- in the end, lighter/better pulls just mask problems with fundamentals and technique. That's obviously a very good, or even necessary thing when you're talking about strong accuracy at super-speed, but if you're just shooting groups (especially from rest), it should be less and less of a concern.

I can say with certainty that two things improved my accuracy above all else. 1) Group shooting from the bench/rest, 2) occasionally shooting groups with pistols that were unfamiliar-- especially when they had stock, humdrum-or-worse triggers.

Both of those activities really put your focus on the fundamentals, which are quite literally easy to forget/ignore when you're blazing away with one of your own range bangers.

Devilneck

S&W Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 20, 2011
    Slidell
    I bought the wife a M&P 9 Pro Series from American Freedom Firearms this past weekend, and some accessories. Great gun, and the guys in the shop were top notch dudes as well.

Absolutely love the M&P series. I'd like one in .45

Kcabear

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 9, 2012
    Gueydan
    Good call on the M&P! I absolutely love mine, even more so after an Apex makeover. Tried a couple Glocks they all felt like I was holding a 2"x2" at a weird angle. I had to go with what felt right and Made in USA sealed the deal. Hell, I will only buy New Balance shoes because they are the only ones left Made in USA.
    Here's mine with some elbow grease put into it. ImageUploadedByTapatalk1351021542.968558.jpg

olivs260

Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Sep 23, 2009
    Geismar, LA
    Good call on the M&P! I absolutely love mine, even more so after an Apex makeover. Tried a couple Glocks they all felt like I was holding a 2"x2" at a weird angle. I had to go with what felt right and Made in USA sealed the deal. Hell, I will only buy New Balance shoes because they are the only ones left Made in USA.
    Here's mine with some elbow grease put into it.View attachment 31794

Man, that's too pretty. I wouldn't want to touch it for fear of getting fingerprints on it... then again I might take the opposite approach and scuff it up to all hell :bigok:

Top Bottom