I Guess I Was Wrong -- Proof That Open-Carry Does Deter Criminals

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • biggin215

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 8, 2010
    Baton Rouge, LA
    Forgive me for not being PC. It's clearly a simple question.
    oups-pardon-9877.gif

However I do indeed judge people everyday based on their appearance. Something wrong with that? If I see a dude walk behind me in a Gas Station dressed like a thug 'G' complete with saggy pants and bandana, you damn right I just judged him by his appearance and will keep an eye on him more than the well dressed male paying for his coffee at the register.

I have to say, at least you're persistent.
    smiliepalm.gif

I'm sorry, I didn't realize there was a certain dress code outlined in the constitution in order to be worthy of owning a handgun or getting a concealed carry permit. My understanding was always that it has more to do with whether your record is clean and you can pass the qualifications to get a permit in your state.

Have I been wrong all these years?

SlackJawedCajun

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 8, 2011
    I'm sorry, I didn't realize there was a certain dress code outlined in the constitution in order to be worthy of owning a handgun or getting a concealed carry permit. My understanding was always that it has more to do with whether your record is clean and you can pass the qualifications to get a permit in your state.

Nigra, please. We all know democrats shouldn't be allowed to arm themselves. What if they start getting uppity?

lsu fan

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 9, 2008
    Metry

He didn't say anything about the right to carry in relation to dress code. He said that the victim didn't look like a typical open carrier, which, he doesn't. He also said he pays closer attention to people dressed like thugs, because more often than not, they commit crimes.

I didn't hear anything about the right to carry.

charliepapa

Clandestine Sciuridae
    Rating - 100%
    130   0   0
    Jul 12, 2009
    Prairieville

come on, judging, profiling, whatever you choose to call it. I think we all do it as a matter of our instinct to stay alive. animals do it too. Chris Rock (a black man) said it best "Ni66az complain that the media is prejudice and distorts our images. Get real, when I go to an ATM at night, I ain't lookin' over my shoulder for the media, I'm lookin for ni66az!

SlackJawedCajun

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 8, 2011
    He didn't say anything about the right to carry in relation to dress code. He said that the victim didn't look like a typical open carrier, which, he doesn't. He also said he pays closer attention to blacks, because he doesn't like them.

FTFY

Hitman

® ™
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Sep 4, 2008
    Lake Charles

No you have not been wrong, I said nothing to the contrary and you have nothing to be sorry about.

Although might I suggest you make a better attempt at comprehending a statement before arguing against it.

A closed mouth gathers no foot.

Emperor

Seriously Misunderstood!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Nether region
    Profile by appearance works for me too! And I do it to everyone(including my own family), on a regular basis. If my kid dresses for school looking like a unkempt numbskull, I can determine right off the bat he is doing something stupid. And of course make the necessary changes in my strategy for the morning.

Same applies in public! Call it spider sense.

Renegade

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 1, 2010
    Red Stick
    come on, judging, profiling, whatever you choose to call it. I think we all do it as a matter of our instinct to stay alive. animals do it too. Chris Rock (a black man) said it best "Ni66az complain that the media is prejudice and distorts our images. Get real, when I go to an ATM at night, I ain't lookin' over my shoulder for the media, I'm lookin for ni66az!

+1000 One's appearance is a reflection of self-expression. If they dress like a thug, good chance they're gonna act like one.

Emperor

Seriously Misunderstood!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Nether region
    +1000 One's appearance is a reflection of self-expression. If they dress like a thug, good chance they're gonna act like one.

And; criminals don't seem to comprehend that a neat appearance may actually work as a good way to gain even more of an advantage over potential unsupsecting victims. I use a little bit of body language reading for the well dressed folk.

lsu fan

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 9, 2008
    Metry
    And; criminals don't seem to comprehend that a neat appearance may actually work as a good way to gain even more of an advantage over potential unsupsecting victims. I use a little bit of body language reading for the well dressed folk.

Actually, some criminals are smart enough to use this to their advantage, but it's obviously not that common. I've heard of it more in snatch and grab type robberies where it is advantageous for the BG to get in close proximity to the victim. Doesn't really matter much if they're going to rob a store clerk. They had a robbery in New Iberia a few years ago, and the guy was wearing a Schlumberger or Wetherford work shirt (stolen or bought at good will) or something like that. Most people don't expect to get robbed from someone wearing a work shirt.

Emperor

Seriously Misunderstood!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Nether region
    Actually, some criminals are smart enough to use this to their advantage, but it's obviously not that common. I've heard of it more in snatch and grab type robberies where it is advantageous for the BG to get in close proximity to the victim. Doesn't really matter much if they're going to rob a store clerk. They had a robbery in New Iberia a few years ago, and the guy was wearing a Schlumberger or Wetherford work shirt (stolen or bought at good will) or something like that. Most people don't expect to get robbed from someone wearing a work shirt.

True Dat! I don't trust anyone no matter how they are dressed!

Similar instance; the infamous Prairiville break-ins of 2010. SB's (My abbreviation for Scum Bags), dressed in suits(like religous solicitors), knock on door during day and kick in door upon no answer. Scam worked! No one was apprehended.

oleheat

Professional Amateur
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 18, 2009
    WOW- I wonder how many people have been killed while trying to remove someone's clearly visable handgun and kill them with it?

my-rifle

I make my own guns.
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Dec 12, 2007
    Jefferson Parish

No. You're right.

And Chris Rock is freaking hilarious.

Top Bottom