I Guess I Was Wrong -- Proof That Open-Carry Does Deter Criminals

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • machinedrummer

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Apr 5, 2010
    Kingwood, Tx
    LEO's with years of svs. and training have been shot and killed with their own gun. No matter who you are or what your level of training is it CAN happen to you. I am not going to make light of what happened I think its very sad that a man lost his life to these creatures. This should be a wake-up call to all who carry either open or cc that there is a chance you could find yourself in that same situation so expect the unexpected and be safe.

oleheat

Professional Amateur
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 18, 2009
    LEO's with years of svs. and training have been shot and killed with their own gun. No matter who you are or what your level of training is it CAN happen to you. I am not going to make light of what happened I think its very sad that a man lost his life to these creatures. [BThis should be a wake-up call to all who carry either open or cc that there is a chance you could find yourself in that same situation so expect the unexpected and be safe.][/B]

Words to stay alive by. Because unless someone has figured out a way to shoot John Q. Attacker while the gun is still tucked away in their IWB holster, the gun is gonna be "in the open" at some point, anyway....

Sin-ster

GM of 4 Letter Outbursts
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    I'll grant you "years of service" for an LEO who has lost their lives in this manner-- but "years of training" is a huge stretch, in the vast majority of cases. (Not necessarily tragic cases like we're discussing-- but the general case of being an LEO in the first place.)

I've asked several uniformed officers I know about how much and what type of instruction they receive-- not just in terms of static marksmanship, but other equally (if not more so) important aspects, including weapon's retention. The answers I've received have been... well, not startling because I expected as much... but unnerving to say the least.

If what pangris says is true about men thinking they understand the dynamics of a gunfight based on watching TV/movies, it's even more true for many LEO in terms of simply putting on the badge and gun. Hell, I don't have any first hand experience in that regard either-- but I damn sure spend a lot of time and effort asking and training with the individuals that do!

Note that this is in no way intended as a slight to police officers-- but is an open attack on those who fail to provide them with the level of training they need/deserve. It's easy to say, "They can seek that type of stuff out on their own-- and carrying a gun for a living means that they should!" But in reality, time and expense are very limiting factors-- and LEO are people just like civilians, with families and other obligations to fulfill.

VeedUp

Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    54   0   0
    Oct 15, 2007
    Destrehan, La.
    Do you have a specific report of a CCW person who had their gun taken from them and killed with it? I have read many cases involving CCW people and can't recall any.
    The report I read was on THR, and like someone else said, he was probably carrying concealed and exposed his weapon. I'm not condoning OCing, just saying not everyone with a permit is trained as well as others. Maybe some people don't take the training as serious as they should.

camelspider

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 1, 2011
    Hammond
    I occasionally OC, and it would be nice to know more of the details behind this such as why he was not using a holster to prevent unwated disarming, retention rope/clip etc. I have a retentioner(probably the wrong word...cant think of what its exactly called, but it clips to my belt and then to pistol with a cord connecting both and also have a push button on the holster to prevent people from pulling it out incase of a struggle. as well as not keeping one in the chamber..) On a side note, I only open carry when at work, or when running.I don't ccw at work, as per my manager if I carry he wants to be able to see it at all times to ensure its safely carried......I dont ccw when running, as I hate chest rigs and waist rigs bouncing when Im out smokin myself on a 5 miler(use a leg rig when running).

Nick M

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 13, 2011
    Metairie
    i agree with what was said earlier to many wanna be rambos think they know what to expect from movies and games. And yes also depending where i am will determine wether one is in the chamber or not. if im in my vehicle yes i will have one in the chamber. in a crowded situation i might not have one ine the chamber. but again that should only be based on the amount of training and comfortability with simotaniously drawing and chambering a round. i also carry a oc spray gun as well at times as a deterent and a less lethal warning . again situation dictates everything.

Tulse Luper

Besmirched!
    Rating - 100%
    64   0   0
    Oct 29, 2008
    Metairie
    i agree with what was said earlier to many wanna be rambos think they know what to expect from movies and games. And yes also depending where i am will determine wether one is in the chamber or not. if im in my vehicle yes i will have one in the chamber. in a crowded situation i might not have one ine the chamber. but again that should only be based on the amount of training and comfortability with simotaniously drawing and chambering a round. i also carry a oc spray gun as well at times as a deterent and a less lethal warning . again situation dictates everything.

Who have you trained with that extolled manipulating the slide during drawstoke?

Nick M

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 13, 2011
    Metairie
    never said i trained with anyone , just stated i probably wouldnt have a chambered firearm on burbon street for example. all pistol drills ive done have always been chambered, unless dry fire drills. Infantry Marine- everything we did was chambered. do i feel confident in my training? yes very much. Do i know how it would play out in a real world scenerio if i tried drawing and sliding at the same time in a busy area. No

when you asked who have i trained with , your asking in the civilian world correct?

Last edited:

Tulse Luper

Besmirched!
    Rating - 100%
    64   0   0
    Oct 29, 2008
    Metairie
    never said i trained with anyone , just stated i probably wouldnt have a chambered firearm on burbon street for example. all pistol drills ive done have always been chambered, unless dry fire drills. Infantry Marine- everything we did was chambered. do i feel confident in my training? yes very much. Do i know how it would play out in a real world scenerio if i tried drawing and sliding at the same time in a busy area. No

when you asked who have i trained with , your asking in the civilian world correct?

This entire thread is about the civilian world and carrying in it, so yes.

Infantry Marine- everything we did was chambered.

Why change. Why even consider trying to manipulate a slide when under the stress associated with the fear of losing your life?

jmcrawf1

Rating - 100%
    70   0   0
    Jan 20, 2008
    Madisonville
    i agree with what was said earlier to many wanna be rambos think they know what to expect from movies and games.

First you say this...

And yes also depending where i am will determine wether one is in the chamber or not. if im in my vehicle yes i will have one in the chamber. in a crowded situation i might not have one ine the chamber. but again that should only be based on the amount of training and comfortability with simotaniously drawing and chambering a round.

Then you say this... lol wow....classic

JR1572

Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    58   0   0
    Nov 30, 2008
    Madisonville, LA
    Funny how rude people can be to each other on the internet forums when we wouldn't dream of doing so in person.

I would say the same thing to anyone in person. Carrying an unloaded pistol is dangerous. It's a safety concern to me, and the person carrying the gun without a loaded chamber.

JR1572

Hattrick 22

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 13, 2011
    Kenner, Louisiana
    I don't quite understand why open carry seems to be a bad thing.. I found the locotraining thread funny and all, but in all honesty i still do not see whats bad about it. I could understand making fun of people doing it for no reason other than just to carry it on thier hip, but i open carry everyday. When i am walking to my car and going inside my home. Then again maybe this is in refrence to people carrying in walmart, burbon street, malls even still what diffrence does it make at the end of the day every place can be dangerous and some places we feel safe we don't open carry/ccw wouldn't those be the places you would be your most vunarable etc?

Nick M

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 13, 2011
    Metairie
    This entire thread is about the civilian world and carrying in it, so yes.

Why change. Why even consider trying to manipulate a slide when under the stress associated with the fear of losing your life?

because you have to adapt to the situation at hand, and try new techniques. im no longer oversease or in the military so the area of which i will be carrying has changed and so should the way i do things.

Hitman

® ™
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Sep 4, 2008
    Lake Charles
    Ilikewherethisthreadisgoing.jpg

762NATO

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 27, 2011
    Lafayette
    In light of the death of a man, is it really necessary to be so flippant as to launch this into an anti-OC discussion? This shows the true caliber of the OP......

Last edited:

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    joshualectric
    Top Bottom