I have a traffic safety question for LEO's

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Cubsfan

Holy Cow!
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Oct 17, 2007
    Gretna, LA
    Coming back into town today from Mississippi, we passed a white unmarked van carrying several mentally handicapped people. The driver was completely wrapped up in her phone call and not paying attention to anything else. She nearly swerved into our lane and hit us and she was also changing lanes erratically without watching what she was doing. If I had seen a name or number on the van I would have called it to complain. If I had someone on that van, I would want to know that they were being transported in a very unsafe manner. Problem is, all I have is a license plate number. Any way anyone could run it and just let the company know they have an extremely unsafe driver for the handicapped? Not even sure if it's legal or if there is another option but in the interest of public safety I would appreciate it. If not, I guess I should mind my own business.

Thanks.

charlie12

Not a Fed.
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 21, 2008
    Pride
    You should have called LE then. Don't think there's much you can do now since you don't know who it belongs to.

deafdave3

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Apr 26, 2010
    I have said this many times, over and over again: there is NOTHING wrong with calling 911. It doesn't matter how trivial the emergency is. THAT does classify as an emergency. In fact, depending on the driver's age and the driver's certification, it very well could be illegal. I applaud you for getting the license number. Next time, and as a note others: call 911 and report this.

Unfortunately, I'm deaf and cannot call 911. I have seen many, many dangerous actions on the road when all I can do is just sit back and watch. Bummer.

Cubsfan

Holy Cow!
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Oct 17, 2007
    Gretna, LA
    Thought about that too, but with everything going on in city and the fact that she took the 610 split and I lost sight of her, didn't think it would do any good.

charlie12

Not a Fed.
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 21, 2008
    Pride
    I have said this many times, over and over again: there is NOTHING wrong with calling 911. It doesn't matter how trivial the emergency is. THAT does classify as an emergency. In fact, depending on the driver's age and the driver's certification, it very well could be illegal. I applaud you for getting the license number. Next time, and as a note others: call 911 and report this.

Unfortunately, I'm deaf and cannot call 911. I have seen many, many dangerous actions on the road when all I can do is just sit back and watch. Bummer.

Dave is there any way where you can text or send LE the info?

Guate_shooter

LA CHP Instructor # 522
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Dec 4, 2009
    (Breaux Bridge)
    As mentioned B4, you should report it, you can actually dial *LSP from any phone and it should connect you directly to state police in that area, that way you do not tie up the regular emergency services line, give as much description as you can (location (mile marker if possible), type of vehicle, license plate, speed traveling, what are they doing).

THey should be able to find a unit in the area or contact a department that does.

LACamper

oldbie
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 3, 2007
    Metairie, LA
    I do it regularly unfortunately. My job (and commute) puts me on the interstate quite a bit. When I see something I call it in (I've seen everything from a semi's door swinging open into the next lane to girls car surfing at 75mph!). Unfortunately, they don't usually have an officer able to respond.

Nolacopusmc

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Oct 22, 2008
    New Orleans, LA
    I have dialed *LSP several times for reckless operation and DUI. I know for a fact at least 3 of them resulted in physical arrest. When you drive around in a police car a lot, you kinda become numb to how people drive, because MOST people around you tend to be on their best behavior.

When you get in your POV and people are driving like they normally do, it is almost scarey.

If you dial *LSP, know what road you are on, what direction you are going, and preferably what mile marker you are passing.

Also, make, model, color and license of car is helpful along with description of occupant (1black male and one black female) (three white females, etc).

I try to save it for those people who if I was working, there is no doubt I would stop. Often times, if LSP is not available, they will try to get an officer or deputy form the neighboring jurisdiction to intercept.

tunatuk

Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 30, 2007
    Ascension Parish
    I do it regularly unfortunately. My job (and commute) puts me on the interstate quite a bit. When I see something I call it in (I've seen everything from a semi's door swinging open into the next lane to girls car surfing at 75mph!). Unfortunately, they don't usually have an officer able to respond.

That's the problem with highway speeds. If we don't have somebody on the interstate already, the violator will be long gone by the time we get someone there. In my parish, we have 5 interstate exits that cover 1 miles. Hwy 73 is the first exit coming from Baton Rouge at the 173, and US 61 at the 189.

We normally don't get calls until the 170mm East bound, or the 176mm West bound. Nowhere near enough time to get someone ready to intercept. We probably get 10 of these kinds of calls a night.

Guate_shooter

LA CHP Instructor # 522
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Dec 4, 2009
    (Breaux Bridge)
    I have dialed *LSP several times for reckless operation and DUI. I know for a fact at least 3 of them resulted in physical arrest. When you drive around in a police car a lot, you kinda become numb to how people drive, because MOST people around you tend to be on their best behavior.

When you get in your POV and people are driving like they normally do, it is almost scarey.

If you dial *LSP, know what road you are on, what direction you are going, and preferably what mile marker you are passing.

Also, make, model, color and license of car is helpful along with description of occupant (1black male and one black female) (three white females, etc).

I try to save it for those people who if I was working, there is no doubt I would stop. Often times, if LSP is not available, they will try to get an officer or deputy form the neighboring jurisdiction to intercept.

Aint that what I said ???????????

:p:p:p:p:p:p

Dave328

Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Jul 11, 2007
    Gretna
    That's the problem with highway speeds. If we don't have somebody on the interstate already, the violator will be long gone by the time we get someone there. In my parish, we have 5 interstate exits that cover 1 miles. Hwy 73 is the first exit coming from Baton Rouge at the 173, and US 61 at the 189.

We normally don't get calls until the 170mm East bound, or the 176mm West bound. Nowhere near enough time to get someone ready to intercept. We probably get 10 of these kinds of calls a night.

I was the one driving in the OP. This^^ is why we didn't even try calling. We were in Not Our Problem Dude's jurisdiction, and I could just picture the dispatcher polishing the nails she "had just done got did" and telling me she'd send someone. Didn't think about *LSP at the time.:hs: We were more pissed off that her unfortunate passengers had no idea their driver was rolling at 90+ and swerving in heavy traffic, but their family members would certainly be interested. Shakneeqwah was definitely having a good cellphone conversation, though.:rolleyes:

jmcrawf1

Rating - 100%
    70   0   0
    Jan 20, 2008
    Madisonville
    Don't get me started about mental handicapped facilities hiring these curly nailed, gum popping queens to care for those who are mentally handicapped. :mad:

Nolacopusmc

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Oct 22, 2008
    New Orleans, LA
    Don't get me started about mental handicapped facilities hiring these curly nailed, gum popping queens to care for those who are mentally handicapped. :mad:

The funny thing is, we apparently export dem to Afghanistan also. Went to get a new ID card...you guessed it. 350lb Laquisha "Baby, we do dat only ba apertedment"

Yep, not another soul in the place.

Never mind I had to travel through freaking IED alley to get there. Meanwhile, she is maxing out her "2 to-go plate limit" at the chow hall.

Last edited:

Suburbazine

01001000 01101001 0011111
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 21, 2008
    Baton Rouge, LA
    Interstate is nearly impossible for local jurisdictions. One night in Texas I got hit by a drunk driver's front bumper that he knocked off on the center divider. I followed him around for 45 minutes trying to route an officer to us (and crossed 2 county lines over and over) until the operators on both ends finally said forget it.

idunno

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 29, 2007
    Prairieville, LA

Would have to pull over to legally do this, but if you have IM capabilities on your phone, you could use an IP Relay service.

Top Bottom