I have questions about an AR-10 build???

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • roughlsufan

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 20, 2012
    Houma, Louisiana
    I am in the process and doing lots of research on building me a 7.62 AR 10. I know that the receivers, barrel are gun specific. Meaning I cant use AR 15 receivers barrels and blot carrier and stuff are not interchangeable. I am however confused as far as the furniture goes though (handrail/butt stock/pistol grip ect...) Are these parts interchangeable between AR-15 and AR-10? I am wanting to get all the right parts for this build but I am finding it hard to find AR 10 parts. I am dead set on the 308/7.62 AR model but need help with finding web sites that will sell gun specific parts. Thanks in advance for any info givin.

Vanilla Gorilla

The Gringo Pistolero
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 22, 2008
    IT's your call because its your gun, but, it isn't "better" than 5.56mm. It is in some envelopes better but it isn't across the board "better". You may wanna take a look at .300 Blackout. If you buy a 5.56mm Gun you can also shoot .300 BO off the same lower, using the same bolt, and the same mags. It's a far more versatile option.

As far a .308 being more powerful; it is on a chrono a faster bullet, it does weigh more. Those are both fact. It's performance on tissue inside 200 yards can be less than optimal however. On human targets that big fast bullet tends to zip right through leaving a pair of neat .30 caliber holes. You typically do not see the kind of fragmentation and yawing that makes 5.56 so lethal.

The guns that shoot it are also heavy and less reliable. At least in the AR variety.

longdude17

Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 22, 2010
    Baton Rouge
    ^^^while you make some valid points (bigger bullet, faster, heavier gun with more power) I get the feeiling few have ever owned a .308 AR. I own the RRA LAR-8 .308 Standard operator and it is every bit as reliable as any other similarly priced 5.56mm ar and more so than many of the "cheap" kit guns.

Accuracy is subjective in itself....based mostly on the shooter and glass each gun is equipped with, but i can bust skeet at 450yds 8 of 10 times with factory loads. Its performance inside 200yds I believe to be exceptional....the .308 has killed deer and its nato variant has been used by the military for years....tho the round will not expand and fragment like the smaller calibers, ive never heard of someone saying it didnt have the penetration or nockdown power like ive heard from 5.56 owners especially when it comes to hunting. Im not even going to get into how hand loads perform....so many choices you can pretty much load how you see fit.

I agree its not the best gun for home defense, nor the best for trucking up mountains but properly set up makes an excellent and accurate tatical styled hunting rig.....add beenie cooley muzzle brake and recoil is just a tad more then that of a 5.56. Just keep in mind the .308 Ar's are the red headed step childs of the AR world....everyone knocks them but few ever take the time to get to know one. Are there better guns? yes.....are there better AR platforms? yes.......but in the end its what the builder wants to build.

I strongly suggest you look at Rock River arms....very traditional platform, one of the best triggers available and awesome warranty....if you change your mind on the .308...they make a 7mm-08 upper that fits the same lower....FYI

Last edited:

Vanilla Gorilla

The Gringo Pistolero
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 22, 2008
    Actually I have owned a few AR10s. I also worked on the SR25 and M110 programs for the Army. I'm pretty well versed on how the things work and what they are good at and not good at. Knock down power is a myth. It doesn't exsist in any .30cal platform.

longdude17

Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 22, 2010
    Baton Rouge
    Soooo your saying no .30cal has knockdown power?

Please englighten my ignorance on how a 5.56 has more knockdown power (retained energy downrange) then ANY .30cal platform........

Last edited:

Vanilla Gorilla

The Gringo Pistolero
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 22, 2008
    "Knockdown power" is a myth. The notion that any bullet fired from a .30 caliber rifle will knockdown a target is contrary to Newtonian Physics. In cliff notes if the bullet you just fired had the power to knockdown its target the equal and opposite reaction would send you ass over tea kettle as well. .30 cal bullets are excellent and very lethal but they aren't magic. Making broad based statements like.....im choosing. 308 because its more powerful...can be misleading because they only look at one metric. Energy delivered to target is the simplest metric but it is also the most misleading.

JWG223

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Aug 16, 2011
    Shreveport
    "Knockdown power" is a myth. The notion that any bullet fired from a .30 caliber rifle will knockdown a target is contrary to Newtonian Physics. In cliff notes if the bullet you just fired had the power to knockdown its target the equal and opposite reaction would send you ass over tea kettle as well. .30 cal bullets are excellent and very lethal but they aren't magic. Making broad based statements like.....im choosing. 308 because its more powerful...can be misleading because they only look at one metric. Energy delivered to target is the simplest metric but it is also the most misleading.

I observed an old video of a man testing a bullet-proof get-up against a .30 caliber rifle (I forget it .308 or .30-06.) He stood on one leg and took a round to the chest from about 10 feet away. He remained standing on said leg without much trouble.

Using comparable ammunition, though (Say, a VMAX in .308), the .30 has the potential to destroy more tissue than the 5.56, though. However, at the expense of weight, recoil, etc.

I guess it's what you're trying to do, and bringing enough gun loaded with the correct ammo vs. over-kill for the task at hand costing in other ways (weight, etc.) more than benefiting. Yes, there is such a thing, or we would all hunt deer with a .338 Lapua.

stancel

Swamp Stalker
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Nov 7, 2008
    Carriere, MS
    I am about a week out from getting a LAR-8. Looked at every option out there, and that is what I have decided on. Why a .308? Because I will be hunting with it.

I might not be some ballistics expert (hell, I don't even know what they are), but I have been hunting for the past 30 years and I can tell you unequivocally, a 223 is NO comparison to a .308 when it comes to deer and hog sized game. Sure, a 223 will kill it where it stands if everything is perfect. No small brush or limbs in the way. No movement from the animal that might make you miss the perfect shot. Or even with the perfect shot, the animal could run a good distance before laying down. I base all of that on numerous experiences from people going out there and shooting deer, and especially hogs, with their AR15 only to have the animal run, and run, and run. I am a very capable shooter, but I am not out there to prove anything or show off my marksmanship. That is what paper targets are for. I want to take down the animal as quickly and ethically as possible, and not have to spend hours searching for it after it runs. A 308 will give you a good margin of error. A 223 will not.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    joshualectric
    Top Bottom