I have some questions about the Louisiana paperwork for an SBR

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • michiganjfrog

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 21, 2009
    I am working on an SBR as an individual, non-trust. That being said, the LSP paperwork is unfamiliar and confusing to me.

On the application to REGISTER AS FIREARMS DEALER, IMPORTER, OR MANUFACTURER:

I check individual for a non trust Individual? Or am I a manufacturer?

Applicant's business is a. Individually owned or b. other (specify)
    if b. where do I specify?

Am I wrong to assume that I'm filling in all of my information for me, an individual, and that I'm lack of a better word 'registering' myself as a business to LSP?

On APPLICATION TO REGISTER FIREARM LOUISIANA REVISED STATUTES:

Under firearm data, name and addy of manufacturer/importer, that would be the original manufacturer of the lower, i.e. Bushy, DPMS, what have you?

I appreciate the help.
    MJF

aroundlsu

Bayou Photo Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Dec 21, 2007
    Baton Rouge
    You are an individual. Just check individual. If you pm me your email address I will send you a scan of my approved form for you to see how I did it.

No you aren't registering as a business. LSP understands what you want to do.

RealEveryDay

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 3, 2012
    aroundlsu, I'll send you a PM shortly as I too would be very interested in seeing an approved 4012.

R.E.D.

SubSonic

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 13, 2012
    Denham Springs
    I did an SBR last year and didn't do the manufacturing form, just the registration form and it was approved (both LSP and NFA). Initially i was going to do the manufacturing form, but when i spoke to one of the guys at 10-8 tactical, he said it wasn't necessary. He did his AR SBR without the manufacturing form also. His and mine were both on a trust.

Parlow

Type 07/Class 02 SOT
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 15, 2009
    Lafayette, La
    I did an SBR last year and didn't do the manufacturing form, just the registration form and it was approved (both LSP and NFA). Initially i was going to do the manufacturing form, but when i spoke to one of the guys at 10-8 tactical, he said it wasn't necessary. He did his AR SBR without the manufacturing form also. His and mine were both on a trust.

You can't register a firearm with the state before it is 'manufactured', you will get approval from the ATF without it because legally you cant make it until you are approved. After you are approved and you 'manufacture' it they you have to register it....kinda dumb to register it anyways.

bs875

Rating - 100%
    232   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    Baton Rouge
    You can't register a firearm with the state before it is 'manufactured', you will get approval from the ATF without it because legally you cant make it until you are approved. After you are approved and you 'manufacture' it they you have to register it....kinda dumb to register it anyways.

I've registered them before building based on what I was making. But I was using commercial receivers with serial numbers. As I understand it the ATF will reject the Form 1 if you don't have the state approval in your packet.

Parlow

Type 07/Class 02 SOT
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 15, 2009
    Lafayette, La
    As far as the ATF is concerned even though you have a commercial receiver you still are not manufacturing the firearm until you assemble the parts. They consider a firearm manufactured once you assemble the parts. If you have a stripped lower and a separate parts kit then you just have a firearm receiver, but once you put those parts in the lower then you have a firearm. ATF requires Louisiana state approval before they will approve Form 3s and Form 4s. I have submitted customers Form 1s with out Louisiana approval and have not had an issue to date. The only issues I have had were on Form 3s and Form 4s.

If you are concerned it doesn't hurt to get the state paperwork approved prior to submitting to ATF. The last thing you need is to have any delays and right now you are looking at about a 5 month wait with no issues.

czar

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 22, 2007
    S'port, LA.
    You are an individual. Just check individual. If you pm me your email address I will send you a scan of my approved form for you to see how I did it.

No you aren't registering as a business. LSP understands what you want to do.

Can I get some help also?

cajun 22

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    May 22, 2008
    Houma, LA
    Will take longer now. Sergeant Reevis(sp) said that Shana is no longer there and they have had a big influx of registrations. So don't delay.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    DRB88
    Top Bottom