I just dont get the 40 cal.

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Jman1911

Louisiana Sportsman
    Rating - 100%
    89   0   0
    Aug 26, 2009
    Opelousas, LA
    I mean...... I personally don't care! I've had them all ( 9, 40,45 ) and I think the 40 is a good balance between mag capacity and bullet energy.... Plus I got a dam good deal on a gen 4 22. ;)

N4sir

Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Aug 13, 2010
    Metairie, LA
    You can have whatever caliber you want but shot placement can be key.

Btw, I can't complain about the .40 at all. It saved my life as well as some family members and stopped like a charm.
    Shot placement, shot placement, shot placement!

Garandimal

Rifleman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    That's my cartridge of choice as well.

But they don't function reliably in my G36. I bought one of those on a whim during the tax-free week-end. I put an extended slide release lever on it, no other mods. With the HSTs, the slide will lock back occasionally before the magazine is empty; the bullet is dragging on the lever at some point. Doesn't do it with Ranger SXT or "regular" Remington JHPs or ball. Works fine with the stock lever.

Annoying, but I don't carry the G36, so I haven't delved into it further.

This is quite an impressive round. Recoil is stout, right on the edge of controllability in the G36 and a handful in the HK45C. I have yet to see any "meat" bullets, but my guy at ATK who keeps track of such things says it is every bit as good as the gelatin tests indicate.

Ditto the 147 9mm HST. They (ATK) have a LOT of documented shooting data on that one, since it is used by quite a few larger agencies.

My buddy put an extended slide release on his G36 as well, and it started having the same trouble.

I think it has to do w/ a combination of the slide release return spring and the new part. The extra mass of the longer lever as well as the longer moment arm of that lever gives the part more inertia force than the orig. part.

In heavy recoil, the part overpowers the return spring and engages the slide.

The counter-jerk that installed my buddies extended lever also over-sprung the spring when he installed it, so the spring is now almost non-existent.

GR

Last edited:

JBP55

La. CHP Instructor #409
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    338   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Walker
    My buddy put an extended slide release on his G36 as well, and it started having the same trouble.

I think it has to do w/ a combination of the slide release return spring and the new part. The extra mass of the longer lever as well as the longer moment arm of that lever gives the part more inertia force than the orig. part.

In heavy recoil, the part overpowers the return spring and engages the slide.

The counter-jerk that installed my buddies extended lever also over-sprung the spring when he installed it, so the spring is now almost non-existent.GR

Glock does not make a extended slide stop for a G36. If you want one that works on a G36 you need to order Lone Wolf part number LWD-7496-36 which is designed to work on a G36.

charliepapa

Clandestine Sciuridae
    Rating - 100%
    130   0   0
    Jul 12, 2009
    Prairieville
    The counter-jerk that installed my buddies extended lever also over-sprung the spring when he installed it, so the spring is now almost non-existent.

most likely, what he may have done is to allow the tail of the spring to be above the upper pin that goes through the frame/locking block. if that's the case, it won't be compressed enough and may actually be pulled in the wrong direction and engage the slide every time it cycles as opposed to only when pushed up by the magazine follower. has he actually shot it since the installation?

Last edited:

Twin1300

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 7, 2013
    Denham Springs, LA
    I used to think why also between the .40 and .45? But I now have a .40 after shooting both and it's a nice round and shoots well. Ballistics are close. The Taurus PT-140 Millennium Pro and the Taurus PT-145 Millennium Pro are identical in looks weight and feel. Ended up choosing the PT-140! JMO

...........................bobby

SGT_Kramer

Knuckle Buster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 23, 2010
    Ball
    images

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member