I need a glock part dux

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • gunslinger

Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Feb 10, 2007
    North shore
    Seen "Tactical Arms" thur night the show was about glocks, Larry Vickers said stock plastic sights where crap and i have to agree with him.So i am going to replace mine but not sure witch way to go so what do you think are good sights ,best place to get them and who to get to put 'em on.I am thinking TRUGLO TFOs
    PHP:
    if you know anything about these or have some on your glock chime in with your pro's/con's.

bayoupirate

God of Thunder
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jul 9, 2009
    Raceland, Louisiana
    not sure what Tru-Glow offers, but HiViz sights are very easy to swap.

Field strip the barrel from the slide
    Use a drill and remove the swell on the inside of the slide that retains the Plastic front sight. It doesn't take much.
    the front sight should fall out. if not nudge it with a small screwdriver or punch. (it's plastic)
    The machined hole for a replacement sight is there.
    Insert new sight.
    One screw on the inside to retain it, and

Bingo you've got a new front sight.

JBP55

La. CHP Instructor #409
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    338   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Walker
    Ameriglo for night sights green front yellow rear.
    Ameriglo for fiber optic or metal also.
    Most dealers will install free if you buy the sights from them.

JBP55

La. CHP Instructor #409
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    338   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Walker
    not sure what Tru-Glow offers, but HiViz sights are very easy to swap.

Field strip the barrel from the slide
    Remove front sight with a dental pick or nut driver depending on type.
    Insert new sight and tighten with a nut driver.

Fixed it for you. :)

bayoupirate

God of Thunder
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jul 9, 2009
    Raceland, Louisiana
    Sorry my post wasn't more clear.

I used a drill to remove the part of the plastic that is swelled to retain the sight.
    The bit never touches the metal.
    Have you ever witnessed someone trying to drill a glock slide?
    That's some tough metal.
    I've actually seen guys use lineman's pliers, grab the front sight by the sides and simply twist it off. Then install new sights.

I appreciate everyone's point of view and ideas.

I choose to remove some of the plastic so I can very gently push out the sight.
    I'm sure you can simply whack it out with a punch.

Thanks JBP55.
    I was doing two things at once and that did get a bit confusing.

m4a34u

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 17, 2009
    Erath
    Amerigo seems to be popular in diff forums. My brother picked up a Square Orange front and black plain rear, but has not installed them yet. Will try to get him to post pics as soon as he installs them, look for his post under
    Clay7160.

Bill

Hardballing

Rating - 100%
    38   0   0
    Jan 8, 2010
    Metairie, LA
    I am a BIG fan of XS Systems big and small dots. Have a big dot trit front, plain white line rear on a G19 and a small dot trit font and trit line rear on a Colt Gold Cup Trophy.

REAL fast way to get metal into meat. Just dot the "I" and squeeze the trigger.

Others here have their faves but I've done a LOT of combo's over the years and after I installed these (you can do them yourself with a standard glock site tool) on the G19, EVERYTHING else was toast.

YMMV.

Vanilla Gorilla

The Gringo Pistolero
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 22, 2008
    I like all black because they work better in the day, and well, night sights really don't work at night so I go with the Ameri-Glo DeFoor model.

Jman1911

Louisiana Sportsman
    Rating - 100%
    89   0   0
    Aug 26, 2009
    Opelousas, LA
    I am a BIG fan of XS Systems big and small dots. Have a big dot trit front, plain white line rear on a G19 and a small dot trit font and trit line rear on a Colt Gold Cup Trophy.

REAL fast way to get metal into meat. Just dot the "I" and squeeze the trigger.

Others here have their faves but I've done a LOT of combo's over the years and after I installed these (you can do them yourself with a standard glock site tool) on the G19, EVERYTHING else was toast.

YMMV.

+1 These are nice rugged sights!

Guate_shooter

LA CHP Instructor # 522
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Dec 4, 2009
    (Breaux Bridge)
    Eventhough I am also a fan of XS sights for a defensive/combat pistol they are not good sights for range toys, it will all depend on what the OP wants to do with his weapon for a carry gun yes they are the way to go (for me at least), for anything else FO front and plain rear would be my choice any day of the week. And even with this choice ther are sooo many diferent options to choose from, I would try to shoot somebody elses gun with diferent sights and see what you like best before you go invest money on something you dont like or feel comfortable with.

Just like some people claim that adjustable back and plain front with the gold dot is the way to go with a 1911, after shooting this setup I realized I dont like it and just doesnt work well for me.

Also to answer your question about the TruGlo TFO's I would stay away from them, they had lots of issues with the glue that holds the TFO rods in the sight, lots of people have complained that after using gun cleaners the rods seem to magically fall off.

Last edited:

Guate_shooter

LA CHP Instructor # 522
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Dec 4, 2009
    (Breaux Bridge)

goteron

Unity Tactical
    Rating - 100%
    38   0   0
    Dec 8, 2009
    Houma, LA
    Ive since gone to red dots, but before that I had a set of Warren / seiveigny (Sp) that I liked a lot, wide rear notch. Liked them a lot. My new answer to every sight question is now RMR.

Top Bottom