I need some help

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Dan6726

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 19, 2012
    Boyce,La.
    I recently acquired a Professional Ordnance carbon 15. Don't really know anything about this particular weapon. It has been sitting in a closet for a good while the guy that gave it to me said it split the gas tube and he replaced it . Afterwards he put it back together with a new gas tube and then it became a single shot. My question is has anyone had any experience with this early bushmaster carbon 15? Are there any parts available? Any help at all is appreciated.

Magdump

Don’t troll me bro!
    Rating - 100%
    163   0   0
    Dec 31, 2013
    Hammond, Louisiana
    If it's a AR 15, any mil spec parts should work. I don't think anything on that rifle is proprietary. Should be the basic upper/lower receiver, barrel and gas system (most likely carbine length) BCG, etc.
    not sure where Boyce is but if you could get it to me I can get it running for you with parts on hand

Magdump

Don’t troll me bro!
    Rating - 100%
    163   0   0
    Dec 31, 2013
    Hammond, Louisiana
    Found it. Looks like I'm only 300 miles from you, lol

If you ever plan a trip through Hammond, gimme a shout. If I'm able I'll fix it for you then and there.
    I'm betting the gas system is plugged at the barrel either by rust or debris, or a misaligned gas block.

Last edited:

Dan6726

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 19, 2012
    Boyce,La.
    Thanks Magdump I'm kinda all over south Louisiana. I might be heading down that way soon. I'm gonna tear it down as soon as I get back. I agree it's probably something really simple. The gas tube has an Allen screw in the end of it that goes in parallel with the barrel.

rabiddawg

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 8, 2010
    Lafayette, LA
    I assume you mean the gas block has a screw not the tube.

If so it sounds like it maybe an adjustable block. If this is the case, opening it up could solve the single shot issue. Adjust it until the bolt locks back on the bolt catch (not mag)

Magdump

Don’t troll me bro!
    Rating - 100%
    163   0   0
    Dec 31, 2013
    Hammond, Louisiana
    Agreed Dawg. Sounds like somebody modded that AR. I don't know of any lower end AR ever coming with an adjustable gas block.

Open that puppy up a turn or 2 Dan and give it a shot

LACamper

oldbie
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 3, 2007
    Metairie, LA
    The Carbon 15 is not a standard AR-15. It is somewhat proprietary. I always wanted one due to the light weight but their reputation is that they unreliable.
    I'm guessing that the gas tube is the wrong size and you need the correct one to get it back to spec.

IIRC, Bushmaster bought out Professional Ordinance and took over the Carbon 15. Some changes were made but reliability is still an issue from what I recall. Which is a shame, because I would love a reasonably priced 5 pound AR!

Call Professional Ordinance and see what they have to say...
    Good luck!

jdindadell

Not Banned!!!
    Rating - 100%
    267   0   1
    Feb 14, 2010
    Slidell
    Professional Ordnance is long gone...

I have a PO carbon 15 rifle complete and a pistol upper than resides on an omni hybrid lower.

The upper will fit any std lower. The buffer, extension, and spring are specific to PO. My pistol upper uses a ar bolt carrier with the PO bolt in it. Not sure if a std ar15 bolt can be used.

As far as the gas system goes I would have no idea what will fit, but I will take my handguard off and check when I get a chance. I have spare gas tubes, and expect it to be a carbine length tube. You may want to check yours for an obstruction at the gas post in the barrel, or something in the gas block.

PECEMKR

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 12, 2012
    NOLA
    Is it the polymer upper ? They had a reputation of headspace alignment issues. the bolts are different. the gas block is proprietary

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    jgwick
    Top Bottom