I need some legal advice!

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Tim67

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 20, 2010
    EBR
    I wouldn't file the truck as stolen. I'd file that the plate was stolen. Get a police report stating that, then take it to the DMV.

Good idea. Since you sold the truck intending to remove the plate and the buyer took it with the plate on, the plate actually was stolen.

Bullet

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 31, 2008
    New Orleans - Westbank
    Don’t listen to the advise of reporting it stolen...... it wasn’t stolen and failing to remove the plate after the sale and before the truck was towed isn’t a stolen plate. Once the truck is sold the plate belongs to the buyer. There is this little thing about filing a false police report. Many people have been arrested for selling a car then reporting it stolenl. He should have removed the plate prior to the sale.

Your best bet is to go through your house top to bottom looking for the BOS. If you remember the date you sold it (if you recall the day of the week you migt can figure it out) go ask the notory for a copy.

CAJUNLAWYER

crusty old bastard
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 22, 2010
    Iberia Parish
    Here's a radical soloution. GO SEE A LAWYER who will tell you the straight poop and not some of the claptrap and half truths I am seeing here. A couple of things do jump out and merit furter comment.
    1. You signed the title over to him without a notary???? bad.
    2. You didn't get a copy of the title or other evidence of sale????? bad
    3. Notaries DO NOT have to keep copies of things they notarize.
    4. Check with the tow truck operator who towed it if you remember who it was-that is probably your only hope at this point unless you see the guy driving it.
    5. If I were the guy, I wouldn't change the title either! Hell, he's got your signature on the title-probably paid some jack leg Notary to notarize it without seeing you sign it (there are a lot of them out there who will do this).
    6. Good news is that you saved $25 on the cost of the original transfer had you done it properly.
    7. Bad news is that it's gonna cost you a pot to get it straight.

CEHollier

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Dec 29, 2007
    Prairieville
    Here's a radical soloution. GO SEE A LAWYER who will tell you the straight poop and not some of the claptrap and half truths I am seeing here. A couple of things do jump out and merit furter comment.
    1. You signed the title over to him without a notary???? bad.
    2. You didn't get a copy of the title or other evidence of sale????? bad
    3. Notaries DO NOT have to keep copies of things they notarize.
    4. Check with the tow truck operator who towed it if you remember who it was-that is probably your only hope at this point unless you see the guy driving it.
    5. If I were the guy, I wouldn't change the title either! Hell, he's got your signature on the title-probably paid some jack leg Notary to notarize it without seeing you sign it (there are a lot of them out there who will do this).
    6. Good news is that you saved $25 on the cost of the original transfer had you done it properly.
    7. Bad news is that it's gonna cost you a pot to get it straight.

Yea but he saved $25.00 :chuckles:

LACamper

oldbie
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 3, 2007
    Metairie, LA
    Go see the local justice of the peace?
    How about calling the new owner? Tell him either he takes care of the tickets or give the truck back?

BTW, did you cancel your insurance at the same time as the date of sale? Your agent should have given you some advice about the situation at the time. I usually ask if the plate has been transferred before cancelling a policy. Not really my job, but it is the neighborly thing to do...
    Also, eventually you're going to get a flag on your license if you did cancel the insurance at the time of sale. The state still thinks you're driving the truck so your problems aren't over.

Top Bottom