I realized today just how...

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • USMC-Deano

Baby Eagle FTW
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 20, 2011
    Oceanside, CA
    ...STUPID people in college are.

I was in my social psychology class, and we got on the topic of how politicians basically play to the crowd, etc., etc., and somewhere along the line, it was brought up about legal concealed carry on college campuses. My professor(go figure) is entirely against this idea, and went off on a rant about how he would change his syllabus to basically say that you can yak on your phone, text, etc., and if you didn't have minutes, he would buy you more, and just come to class, sign the roll, get your "A." However, he made one, teeny, tiny, itsy, bitsy mistake and asked how we would feel knowing that there are people in the classroom carrying a firearm concealed in a legal manner, so, obviously, I quickly said, "I'd feel a LOT safer." It felt like the WHOLE class turned around to stare at me like I was INSANE! I sit in the back of the class, because I REALLY don't like people sitting behind me, makes me uncomfortable. So, it became a debate where I was the only one fighting for, and everyone else had drank the media Kool Aid of "guns kill people." They were using excuses like, "people can SNAP at ANY second." Uhh, people who ILLEGALLY carry firearms can snap, too, the only difference being that without legal CC on campus, there will be no one to STOP said threat. What happens when the BRCC cop SNAPS and starts shooting people in the crosswalk? Who's going to stop him? What happens in a VT or Columbine situation where the shooter SNAPS during class or out of class one day, with no firearms to speak of, comes back to class the next day and mows down dozens of innocent people, students and teachers alike? Do people really think that people who snap won't come back to class with a weapon if they really want to shoot you?

Eventually, the topic got changed to some other BS, and I didn't get to say much more, but I hope it gets brought up again and I can finish my piece, because I also wanted to mention the fact that if people can LEGALLY CC on campus, then others are going to be aware of this fact, therefore, acting as a deterrent in itself. If I decide to pull out my gun in the middle of class and shoot my professor because he pissed me off, I'm probably going to have about 10 guns pointed right back at me. On top of that, seriously, I'd be willing to bet money that there are students who are illegally carrying loaded firearms on campus EVERY single day, and they won't stop, because they don't care.

Prof. also brought up a kid in another class where the teacher had to call security, because he refused to take his headphones out and stop playing with his phone. I made the point that, "do you REALLY think that kid doesn't already have a record that would prevent him from getting a CHP?" Someone actually said, "well, it could be his first time!" I looked at the girl and said, "there's no way you're going to convince me that this kid hasn't been a delinquent for years." They retaliated with, "well, he could be doing it and just never got caught!" Umm, pretty sure he OBVIOUSLY doesn't care about getting caught if he's willing to have the BRCC cops come remove him from a class. He's been caught and he's in the system, and anyone who thinks otherwise is fooling themselves.

Seriously, I really hope that this law passes and this particular teacher has someone ILLEGALLY pull a gun out in class to shoot him and someone who is a LEGAL CHP holder shoots down said BG, that way teacher sees that it's the ILLEGAL guns that are the problem, not the law abiders.

Anyway, that's my rant about stupid college people...

OH! HERE'S the best part! My professor had JUST gotten off the subject of the media BRAINWASHING PEOPLE INTO BELIEVING THEIR PROPAGANDA!!!! :rofl:

Russo

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 9, 2008
    Raceland,LA
    if i had nothing to do in life, i would love to sit in a college classroom and discuss social issues... with respect, not just a yelling free-for-all...

want to give your prof. a mental breakdown? tell him you cannot legislate morality..

Last edited:

my-rifle

I make my own guns.
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Dec 12, 2007
    Jefferson Parish
    There was a story in the Times Picayune this morning that said a guy with a CCL protected people exiting a building during a crazy shooter situation.

Cat

*Banned*
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 5, 2009
    NE of Alexandria, Cenla
    The subject of legal concealed carry and general handgun ownership came up on my glass forum. This forum is stocked with many women and very very few men across the world. Most of us are in the United States though.

I thought this was going to be a debate of epic measure but most of the women all agreed it was better to be armed at home, especially in the event of an ex husband or ex boyfriend stalker. I was pleasantly surprised because usually artists are extremely liberal. ;) The debate didn't enter CHPs because there were only one or two of us that actually had one. The rest were homeowner gun owners. I suppose the ones that didn't participate were being polite by not bashing our opinions.

Last edited:

USMC-Deano

Baby Eagle FTW
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 20, 2011
    Oceanside, CA
    good for you! remember evil exist because good people do nothing about it. Glad you did something

It felt good to stick up for my right, even though that is one of those rights that is being infringed, but hopefully, with some work, these tools will realize how dumb it is to think in such an idealist manner. Sure, it would be GREAT if all these laws and all this legislation actually STOPPED the crimes from happening, and the only need for guns would be hunting and sport, but that's just not the case. War happens, even on the small, community scale, and it will always be that way because people are inherently stupid to the umpteenth degree.

if i had nothing to do in life, i would love to sit in a college classroom and discuss social issues... with respect, not just a yelling free-for-all...

want to give your prof. a mental breakdown? tell him you cannot legislate morality..

I may just do that. Funny thing is, he had also just said how he sits kind of in the middle of the political spectrum, kind of a Libertarian, and then he goes off on this extreme leftist attitude of, "Guns are bayud, mmkay?" He's an avid fisherman, loves Cabela's, but does not own any guns, not even for HD use, because, to quote his words verbatim, "I know me." Yeah, I agree, he should not have a gun, because he has no self control when he has a useful tool in his hands. I guess he shouldn't have a knife for cutting steaks, either, then.

There was a story in the Times Picayune this morning that said a guy with a CCL protected people exiting a building during a crazy shooter situation.

Good people do good things, bad people do bad things. Thankfully, this guy was able to do a good thing for the (most likely) poor anti-gun sheeple by protecting them. I hope his actions make at least one of those individual's eyes open up to the fact that guns can be used for good.

The subject of legal concealed carry and general handgun ownership came up on my glass forum. This forum is stocked with many women and very very few men across the world. Most of us are in the United States though.

I thought this was going to be a debate of epic measure but most of the women all agreed it was better to be armed at home, especially in the event of an ex husband or ex boyfriend stalker. I was pleasantly surprised because usually artists are extremely liberal. ;) The debate didn't enter CHPs because there were only one or two of us that actually had one. The rest were homeowner gun owners. I suppose the ones that didn't participate were being polite by not bashing our opinions.

Yep, not all artists are hippies, thankfully. My wife is with me on gun rights issues, and she is working on her BA in graphic design. Also, as funny as this probably sounds, but my English professor seems more open minded to gun rights than my current psyc prof. Figure that one out...

Last edited:

USMC-Deano

Baby Eagle FTW
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 20, 2011
    Oceanside, CA
    Wait till you find out how stupid people are in general.

Good for you though. Keep your head up. You were right.

Oh, believe me, I know. I make it a point not to associate with most people my age, because, quite frankly, most people my age are more than a few fries short of a Happy Meal. The military does something to some people that makes them mature faster. IDK, could be wrong, but it seems that way.

And, I knew that most college professors/student were brainwashed by the leftist media, but I didn't quite realize just how small the minority was of those who have not been. I mean, my class has about 25 students, and I was the only one arguing FOR CC on campus, everyone else was either neutral(small number, maybe 3-5) or totally against(the majority, probably 18-20 against).

Last edited:

03protege

#1 Stevel Spell II fan
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Nov 20, 2008
    Mandeville
    My most ignorant discussion was about it being ok for someone to kill himself in order to defraud an insurance company so that his family could get millions of dollars.

I was the only one who didn't think that was ok.

Last edited:

USMC-Deano

Baby Eagle FTW
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 20, 2011
    Oceanside, CA
    My most ignorant discussion was about it being ok for someone to kill himself in order to defraud and insurance company so that his family could get millions of dollars.

I was the only one who didn't think that was ok.

...WWWWWWWWWWOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOWWWWWWWWWWWWW!!!!! Talk about the anti-Capitalist attitude. I mean, seriously? Suicide for money? That's just ridiculous.

my-rifle

I make my own guns.
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Dec 12, 2007
    Jefferson Parish
    I'm gonna weigh in here, because I think you're trying to pigeon-hole people by saying "Since you feel this way about x you must feel that way about y, because my definition of liberal says it's so." You're making a fundamental mistake here. People do not fit into such well-defined boxes. Being liberal does not mean you buy into everything that's said by and about "liberal" people any more than being right-wing means you buy into everything said by or about the right. Compared to many here I'd be considered liberal, but I have a large gun collection, and I enjoy both shooting and introducing others to the sport. Your professor may be similar insofar as he enjoys outdoor activities, but for one reason or other is uncomfortable around firearms. Something you might consider is inviting him to go shooting with you. I've converted several people who were afraid of firearms simply by inviting them to go shooting at whatever comfort level they want.

Remember - people aren't so easy to predict as we'd like them to be, and most don't believe everything said by those who choose to call themselves representatives of a political group they or others define without conferring with those lumped into that group.

USMC-Deano

Baby Eagle FTW
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 20, 2011
    Oceanside, CA
    I'm gonna weigh in here, because I think you're trying to pigeon-hole people by saying "Since you feel this way about x you must feel that way about y, because my definition of liberal says it's so." You're making a fundamental mistake here. People do not fit into such well-defined boxes. Being liberal does not mean you buy into everything that's said by and about "liberal" people any more than being right-wing means you buy into everything said by or about the right. Compared to many here I'd be considered liberal, but I have a large gun collection, and I enjoy both shooting and introducing others to the sport. Your professor may be similar insofar as he enjoys outdoor activities, but for one reason or other is uncomfortable around firearms. Something you might consider is inviting him to go shooting with you. I've converted several people who were afraid of firearms simply by inviting them to go shooting at whatever comfort level they want.

Remember - people aren't so easy to predict as we'd like them to be, and most don't believe everything said by those who choose to call themselves representatives of a political group they or others define without conferring with those lumped into that group.

I know, I'm just saying that with the way he was talking prior to this particular discussion, I would not think he would be one to be so strongly against gun rights. I know that not all "republicans" are pro-gun and that not all "democrats" are anti-gun(the old governor of NM is a prime example). As far as taking him shooting, doubt that will ever happen, because honestly, I wouldn't feel comfortable being around him with him holding a loaded gun after his comments today about, "I know me." Sounded to me like if he had a gun, he'd either kill himself or try to kill someone around him. I don't trust people who can't at least lie and say they trust themselves. Of course, I hardly trust anyone, anyway.

Oh, and relating back to the OP, prof also brought up that some of the other professors wanted to carry guns on campus, in a very snide manner, I might add, and the entire classroom just lit up with laughter...I did a mental facepalm.

Last edited:

my-rifle

I make my own guns.
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Dec 12, 2007
    Jefferson Parish
    As far as taking him shooting, doubt that will ever happen, because honestly, I wouldn't feel comfortable being around him with him holding a loaded gun after his comments today about, "I know me." Sounded to me like if he had a gun, he'd either kill himself or try to kill someone around him. I don't trust people who can't at least lie and say they trust themselves. Of course, I hardly trust anyone, anyway.

OK that's just funny.

Sugarbug

Sugarbug don't care.
    Rating - 100%
    54   0   1
    Feb 5, 2012
    Slidell
    Really, brother. Good for you for sticking to your beliefs and voicing a rational opinion.

I can't "Carry" on campus, but I don't bother to take my holster off. Yesterday when I walked to into class I didn't realize my holster was showing. My buddy was like, "Dude! You're showing." I covered it up, but assured him I wasn't carrying. I was expecting to hear something from some of my classmates, but instead one guy started talking to me about what I carried and how he used to carry a Sig, but changed to an XD that was lighter.

Then today I got into a conversation about hunting with some other students. There's a lot more people who support our way of thinking than you might thing. Unfortunately, it's the squeaky wheel that gets heard.

Crimson

Hk convert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 19, 2010
    Monroe, La
    Oh, believe me, I know. I make it a point not to associate with most people my age, because, quite frankly, most people my age are more than a few fries short of a Happy Meal. The military does something to some people that makes them mature faster. IDK, could be wrong, but it seems that way.

I have to agree most people in our age group are complete idiots. Especially the ones that are in college and have never been in the real world...

They get brainwashed by their professors. It's different for most of the people I know that did not go to college, but instead went straight into the military or into a job. They understand the real world.

Now I'm not saying thats true for every college student obviously.

Sin-ster

GM of 4 Letter Outbursts
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    I wrote a paper for a Persuasive Writing class about the subject, in response to an assignment that was called "Change a Campus Policy".

It was turned in by the professor to the joint student-admin board who oversees such things, and while I got an e-mail saying that they'd received it... I didn't really hear anything else about it.

I think the most important point you made is that people like that are never going to be open minded about the subject. It will literally take a first hand experience (perhaps their last on Earth) to show them the light, and those are fortunately quite rare. On the bright side, you never know if you managed to get through to one of your classmates-- so good on ya, for sure.

As I said in a different post earlier today, whenever I speak up in a class like you did today, I typically don't encounter much (if any) resistance or debate-- regardless of the subject. Not sure what that means, really-- maybe they're more terrified of me than I suspect. I am that "creepy old guy", in the grand scheme of things... :rofl:

Young_Gun

Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    May 7, 2010
    Baton Rouge,LA
    Not to get off topic but I go to Brcc also. And I'm all for owning guns for defense and recreational purposes. I agree that we should be able to carry on campus. I'm about to turn 21 in April and would like to have my CC soon. My purpose to carry a gun is because I don't know what other people are willing to do. Unlike your teacher, People with CCW pretty much know what they are capable of after taking the class and educating themselves in the firearms field.

Sugarbug

Sugarbug don't care.
    Rating - 100%
    54   0   1
    Feb 5, 2012
    Slidell
    I have to agree most people in our age group are complete idiots. Especially the ones that are in college and have never been in the real world...

They get brainwashed by their professors. It's different for most of the people I know that did not go to college, but instead went straight into the military or into a job. They understand the real world.

Now I'm not saying thats true for every college student obviously.

Military makes them grow up. Your sergeants and chiefs aren't going to coddle you until you're ready to do the job. I'm back in college and have a hard time believing I was ever as careless with my future (but then I look at my GPA from my first degree and I'm like... oh, yeah).

LACamper

oldbie
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 3, 2007
    Metairie, LA

Back when I was able to write homeowners insurance (pre-katrina) one of the questions on the application was about gun ownership ($ value of firearms owned). The discussions yielded some surprising answers:
    Even in S. LA very few male homeowners admit to owning guns. I'm hoping it was them lying to me to protect their firearms.
    A large percentage of women had no problem admitting to having guns in the home nor to the idea of defending the home.
    A much smaller percentage of women believed in concealed carry. The idea that people around them were armed seemed to bother them. Often it was the same women that were ready to blow someone away coming in the door.

Professional artist that sell their art work are small business owners first, artist second. That gives them a bit more conservative tilt. That being said the art department of any university is chock filled with pinko commie liberals!

CEHollier

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Dec 29, 2007
    Prairieville

True to an extent. There are exceptions to every rule. You are an anolomy. Most progressives/liberals are anti individual gun rights. As a group the majority of these people for one reason or another feel firearms are bad, evil, and serve no purpose other than to hurt society. They also support constitutional rights except those they don't agree with like the 2A.

Top Bottom