I wanna be a police officer

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • lilshaunsdad

Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Jan 18, 2012
    Lacombe
    I was told by some friends who are deputies that if you don't want to go to corrections you can go in as a reservist. Go thru all of the training and get post certified and then it will be alot easier to get on with a PD or you can stay with the SO. But that's just what I've heard, I have no experience in this but have thought about doing it.

JWG223

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Aug 16, 2011
    Shreveport
    I lived with a guy who became a police officer. He got his Baccalaureate in criminal justice and declined a job in my town because he didn't want any part of what was happening here, and moved down to south LA. I am not sure what he does, but I believe his is a local PD. I wish I had more practical advise, but this is my only experience with it, although everything seems to require a degree of some sort now days. I had no idea becoming a police officer was that difficult in this state.

OtterBob

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 6, 2011
    West Monroe
    What ever you do, Do Not Waste your time and money on a degree in Criminal Justice. If you want a degree that would help you, get a degree in Spanish.

sailem

Infantryman
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Jan 11, 2011
    Pontchatoula LA
    Alot of people here and LEOs I know are telling me the same thing about criminal justice, that its a waste of time. And i was under the assumption PDs and SOs where all the same thing. Right now im thinking im going to go for my local SO (St. Charles parish sheriffs office) as a deputy. I got the application today gonna try to turn it in tomorrow. Thanks for all of your advice. If yall have anymore keep it coming. its good stuff

charlie12

Not a Fed.
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 21, 2008
    Pride
    I've heard the same thing about a CJ degree from LEO's all over the country.
    My Trooper buddy called me tonight and I asked him about how hard it was to get on. He said they told him LSP had about 1000 apps to choose from and they had about 85 started and about 70 finished his class
    and became LSP Troopers.

Booseman

In Vino Veritas
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Lake Charles
    I've heard the same thing about a CJ degree from LEO's all over the country.
    My Trooper buddy called me tonight and I asked him about how hard it was to get on. He said they told him LSP had about 1000 apps to choose from and they had about 85 started and about 70 finished his class
    and became LSP Troopers.

Exactly, there is no shortage of people wanting to become LSP. Besides the best starting pay in the state, from what I have seen, they have great beni's as well.

Booseman

In Vino Veritas
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Lake Charles

Details are completely different than that. That is just the basic salary. I know my Parish SO's details pay $30 an hour with a minimum of 4hrs. They actually have a team that is dedicated to just sending out the details available to the deputies. A good friend of mine that works as road dog said he made an additional 40k one year on details alone, over doubled his salary. He busted his ass, but paid off his boat!!!

That is a great document if you are becoming an LSP Trooper, but if the OP was just now applying it would be 6-7yrs of steady cadet classes before he was even selected. As Charlie12 stated, they have over 1,000 applicants waiting for an academy.

JWG223

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Aug 16, 2011
    Shreveport
    Details are completely different than that. That is just the basic salary. I know my Parish SO's details pay $30 an hour with a minimum of 4hrs. They actually have a team that is dedicated to just sending out the details available to the deputies. A good friend of mine that works as road dog said he made an additional 40k one year on details alone, over doubled his salary. He busted his ass, but paid off his boat!!!

That is a great document if you are becoming an LSP Trooper, but if the OP was just now applying it would be 6-7yrs of steady cadet classes before he was even selected. As Charlie12 stated, they have over 1,000 applicants waiting for an academy.

From what you and others in this thread are saying, if money is the only thing on your brain, this is probably not the job for you. That's a lot of invested work/time to make $80K a year.

Booseman

In Vino Veritas
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Lake Charles
    From what you and others in this thread are saying, if money is the only thing on your brain, this is probably not the job for you. That's a lot of invested work/time to make $80K a year.

I agree, you do not become a LEO to get rich!! You become a LEO to serve a higher calling, something from the heart. One of the most important things people can do in life to be happy is to work a job that they love and enjoy. Or just be independently wealthy!!! :dunno:

sailem

Infantryman
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Jan 11, 2011
    Pontchatoula LA
    ya , I didn't join the army NG for the money, And becoming a LEO isn't about the money for me either. Both are things I've wanted to for as long as I can remember, and now that I've accomplished one goal I want to get started on the other.

SGT_Kramer

Knuckle Buster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 23, 2010
    Ball
    ya , I didn't join the army NG for the money, And becoming a LEO isn't about the money for me either. Both are things I've wanted to for as long as I can remember, and now that I've accomplished one goal I want to get started on the other.
    Sounds like a rich young man to me! Keep going and you'll get there. Getting off your butt and being proactive puts you past the first 500 in that 1000 man list ;)

LEO

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 27, 2012
    I’ve been frequenting this site for awhile so I figured I’d register and hopefully help answer some questions for the OP. Sailem, I was in your same shoes so I know how it is. I am currently a patrol deputy at a large sheriff’s office here in Louisiana (I’m in the process of changing law enforcement agencies so I’d rather not say which one). The first thing to know is that every department is different. They all have their own way of doing things (policies, procedures, etc...). There are a number of sheriff’s offices that do not make you start in the jail. However, I had to and hated it. Decide what you want to do (i.e. patrol, corrections, etc...) and find a department that suits that. I’m not sure why every keeps talking about state police (troopers are great by the way) but they are not hiring anyway. You have the right idea with starting local. I’m actually relocating to your area for my new job!
    You don’t need college but it helps in most cases (again, every dept. is different). I became a reserve right after college and then went full time. Military experience is not necessary but if definitely doesn’t hurt you. In my experience it is looked at very favorably by most departments. Generally, large depts. have a higher turnover rate and hire more often. Get started now. The hiring process can drag on for weeks and months, but a brief overview of what you can expect (this will vary dept. to dept.)
    Written test
    PT test
    Panel Interview
    Medical exam
    Polygraph exam
    If you apply to a city department you will need to take the civil service exam. It’s a common knowledge test. You took the asvab, the civil service test is not any more difficult than that. You have the right idea about pay. I could definitely make more money elsewhere. However, once you get in and established money will come. Currently, I work 10 hours a week at an off duty detail and it pays $25 an hour ( thats pretty standard for off duty work and I could work way more than that). Again, do some research online about the departments in Louisiana. YOUR MAIN GOAL AT THIS POINT IS TO BECOME P.O.S.T certified. After your first year of employment you’ll get $6000 per year in state supplemental pay unless it’s a state law enforcement job. It doesn’t matter if you work in the jail. If you are post certified you’ll get the pay.
    Sorry for the long post. I had all of your same questions and couldn’t get any answers so I hope I’ve helped you. If you want to know anything just ask. There is way too much to type so send me a private message and you’ll give you my phone number if you have anymore questions.

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    hunter1994
    Top Bottom