i want a dirt bike in the $500 range.

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • sportsbud

Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Jan 16, 2013
    NOLA
    Craigslist it up, a good one would be a dual sport so you can take it on the roads if need be But any bike with a title can be made Street legal. What's the size limit?

JHenley17

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 21, 2013
    Prairieville
    Personally, I wouldn't buy that Chinese junk, but $500 bikes from the big three are probably going to be a crap shoot as well. Still, after some TLC, you'd probably end up with a better bike.

4thMiss

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 12, 2014
    Port Allen, La.
    The Chinese junk is junk, I know a lot of young people that can't find parts for 4 wheelers and dirt bikes from Pep boys and the bikes are parked. Disposable junk, they would have been better off searching used Hondas or Kawasaki's that needed a bit of work.

whitsend

-Global Mod-
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Sep 6, 2009
    Transylvania, LA
    Personally, I've never had a problem finding parts for Chinese bikes.
    I had a Chinese 200cc dirt bike, and currently have a Chinese 250cc ATV and 2 150cc GY6 buggies.

Anything with a GY6 engine has lots of parts, both oem and aftermarket, available.
    GY6 comes in 50cc to 150cc and is automatic, belt driven.

I ordered my first buggy and ATV new online. If I was buying new now I would find a local dealer.

Fit and finish on Chinese bikes are hit and miss. All bolts need locktite.

Where are you located? There are several dealer that advertise on Craigslist in BR and NO.

sloppy joe

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 15, 2011
    im researching right now. not ready to buy. all i want to do is get from point a to b on pipelines, maybe some trails with mud. walmart has a mini bike for $500 which uses a lawn mower engine, 196 cc, and weighs a bit less at 112 lb vs. the 125 cc and 170 lbs. but i have no idea if those mini bikes do well in mud. guess i could carry it out. here is the walmart bike:

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Coleman-CT200U-Trail200-Gas-Powered-Mini-Bike/40486686#about

morgan city.

Last edited:

sloppy joe

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 15, 2011
    no one likes the walmart coleman mini bike idea? well they add fees to bring it to $643 anyway. so where would i find parts for the ssr bikes and who would work on them?

whitsend

-Global Mod-
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Sep 6, 2009
    Transylvania, LA
    Last edited:

ajridgedell

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 9, 2015
    Loranger, La
    If you don't mind having to make frequent repairs along the way or if it will see light use the chinese bikes are an ok option in my opinion, but the quality is no where near what any of the japanese bikes have to offer. We do work on all brands and like whit said you can find pretty much whatever parts you need for the chinese bikes on ebay for pretty cheap.

general mills

Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 1, 2010
    Denham Springs (BR,Hammond area)
    True about the Chinese stuff. I bought a roketta scooter with a gy6 clone engine that someone blew up for next to nothing and was able to buy a head, valves and springs, piston and rings for very cheap, not much over $100 if I recall correctly. re-honed the cylinder and it ran well, but the scooter itself was rather poorly built, the plastic was brittle and the welds looked like they had been made by children. I'm willing to bet the thing is broken by now.

Top Bottom