I want to show off my 10/22 too

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BigNick73

Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Sep 21, 2008
    Brandon, MS
    Just finished it. Its a razor in .22WMR VQ barrel, revolution stock, and a Nikon P-22 scope. Forget at the moment where the trigger group came from, just a high polished/tuned stock version,

vqzUs.jpg

w2TiO.jpg

Last edited:

BigNick73

Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Sep 21, 2008
    Brandon, MS
    Thanks had my first head case separation with it today. Wanted to try different ammos as the timing is still a bit off (think the recoil spring is a tad weak causing the bolt to move too fast). Had some winchester super-X in the closet I bought 5-6 years ago. First round split right where the case and rim meet, blew up the only factory mag I had, and peppered me with debris. Glad I had glasses on, got little scab marks all under my right eye. Remington premier seems to run the best, though now I gotta buy more mags and those damn things seem to be semi rare, budsgunshop seems to be the only place that carries them.

hngZJ.jpg

R0DFu.jpg

BigNick73

Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Sep 21, 2008
    Brandon, MS
    How difficult was putting the 22wmr receiver together?

For me it was a pain in the ass to be honest. I definitely recommend a mill, though this one was built with a drill press. The biggest thing is to have it all centered for the barrel hole and keep it there, after that the rest is really gravy.

JLouv

Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 13, 2010
    Youngsville
    Cool!! Wish I'd known about this. I got a razor magnum jig just lying around somewhere that you could've used....

I got one I built up into a 17HMR. Like you, I'm having trouble with the timing. My problem however is my springs are too tight. Spent casings are not getting ejected properly <read as: lots of stovepipes> Using some duct tape, I determined that my bolt is not traveling back far enough on the recoil.

If you think your springs are weak, a fairly simple fix may be replacing the hammer spring before you go messing with any of the other bigger springs. An "extra power hammer spring" will make the hammer stiffer. The bolt rides along the hammer during the recoil, so the added resistance would slow the bolt a good bit. <incidentally, this is exactly what I think my problem is. I changed the hammer spring before I shot it the first time>

Good luck. Nice looking rifle.

Also....I got 4 mags for mine at Midway. You know they're making a 25rnd mag for the 10-22magnum? It's stupid expensive tho.

Last edited:

BigNick73

Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Sep 21, 2008
    Brandon, MS
    Also....I got 4 mags for mine at Midway. You know they're making a 25rnd mag for the 10-22magnum? It's stupid expensive tho.

Midway backordered on the factory ones for the 25 rounder try budsgunshop they got em for 16 bucks, Clear plastic and says champion on the side. Mine doesn't run worth a **** think the spring in it is too weak and can't take it apart. Bolt skips and jams in the middle of the round every 3-4 shots. They got a wopping 1 star at midway.

Last edited:

JLouv

Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 13, 2010
    Youngsville

BigNick73

Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Sep 21, 2008
    Brandon, MS
    None of my 1022's like aftermarket mags. I've had some success with a couple of brands that have the steel feed lips. Everything else just will not work.

I've got my Razor sitting in the back of the safe until I have the time & desire to lug it and my tools out to the range and dedicate a day to getting it running right.

If you're interested, I documented my build. Thread is here http://www.bayoushooter.com/forums/showthread.php?51134-Semi-auto-17HMR-build...&highlight=17hmr+jlouv

You got one with the barrel hole already started? Damn that would have saved me some time. He doesn't sell those anymore my jig has and extra nub on the end for finding the center and starting it.

You weren't meaning that Ruger is going to put out a 25 round mag for the magnum huh? My regular 10/22 actually loves those cheap eagle 30 rounders and federal bulk ammo :p

JLouv

Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 13, 2010
    Youngsville
    You got one with the barrel hole already started? Damn that would have saved me some time. He doesn't sell those anymore my jig has and extra nub on the end for finding the center and starting it.

You weren't meaning that Ruger is going to put out a 25 round mag for the magnum huh? My regular 10/22 actually loves those cheap eagle 30 rounders and federal bulk ammo

Yep. The feds came down on him about it. They told him that the receiver can't have any sort of indents on it, so you get what you got. Kinda sucks. Cool thing for me is that Phil practically lives down the street from my other house, so I was able to pay him a visit and get a ton of tips and some guidance on the build.

I don't recall who makes the mags. Not ruger. You lucky though. Wish I could go to academy and load up on cheap mags.

Have you seen the kits for the 1022 thompson? Seriously looking into one of those. They even have the finned barrels for 'em....and drum mags :D

http://www.eabco.com/store/products/Ruger_10_22_Tommy_Gun_Replica_Gun_Stock_Conversion_Kit-2106-54.html

BigNick73

Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Sep 21, 2008
    Brandon, MS
    Yep. The feds came down on him about it. They told him that the receiver can't have any sort of indents on it, so you get what you got. Kinda sucks. Cool thing for me is that Phil practically lives down the street from my other house, so I was able to pay him a visit and get a ton of tips and some guidance on the build.

I don't recall who makes the mags. Not ruger. You lucky though. Wish I could go to academy and load up on cheap mags.

Have you seen the kits for the 1022 thompson? Seriously looking into one of those. They even have the finned barrels for 'em....and drum mags :D

http://www.eabco.com/store/products/Ruger_10_22_Tommy_Gun_Replica_Gun_Stock_Conversion_Kit-2106-54.html

Sweet found those mags when looking for some other stuff for it volquartsen make them. Only $125 a pop :eek3:

BigNick73

Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Sep 21, 2008
    Brandon, MS
    Yup saw some posts on them at rimfirecentral sounds like they run well but fit can be an issue. They got a couple of detailed threads on the .17 builds and what all had to be done to get it running including the bolt modifications.

BTW for spring problems check out McMaster Carr

9637K73 Cut-to-Length Compression Spring, Spring-Tempered Steel, 11.0" L, .36" OD, .041" Wire,
    9637K74 Cut-to-Length Compression Spring, Spring-Tempered Steel, 11.0" L, .36" OD, .047" Wire,

Those are 11.88 per 5 pack and 11" long just cut em down. Read about them on rimfirecentral they are both heavier than the one select fire ships and are supposed to be same diameter just heavier wire. Sounds like they help w/o having to add the coupler and bits and pieces

Last edited:
    Top Bottom