I'd like a goose for Christmas

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • barbarossa

Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jun 18, 2010
    Baton Rouge
    Can you guys help me out? I've never hunted for ducks or geese, but I would really love to shoot a goose for Christmas dinner.

Have shotgun, will travel.

Any idea where I could go and have a good chance of harvesting a bird?

Thanks, barbarossa

barbarossa

Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jun 18, 2010
    Baton Rouge
    Well, a year later, another Christmas coming up.

Can any of you guys here take me out on a goose hunt or give me advice on how to go about it on my own?

I have experience hunting small and large game, but no birds.

Have shotgun, will travel! Help me out here...

KvichakKing

Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    Aug 19, 2012
    Walker, LA
    Come to my house and I'll take you out in the back yard and you can have your choice of 50-100 Canadian Geese. No need to bring your gun as you can just catch them by the neck and snap it.
    They're corn fed just like Nebraska beef.

mdr

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 24, 2013
    I'll keep you in mind when I can go and I know the conditions/bird activity/ are
    Good.

mtalbert

Deer Slayer
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 31, 2010
    Monroe
    Most people I know hunt them in cut agri fields. Few dozen decoys and a call. Im not much of a bird hunter so I cant give you much more than that info.

Pas Tout La

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 12, 2012
    Droite La
    There are plenty of guides aroung the Gueydan and Kaplan area. I wish I had geese on my lease. Seeing a flock of hundreds to thousands of geese almost land on your head should be on everybodies bucket list.

Emperor

Seriously Misunderstood!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Nether region
    Heard the pickins' are good near Women's Hospital. Just need a vehicle.

This^! For real!

These resident Canadians are legal to take as long as you are properly licensed, the season is open, and the method of take you use is legal. Believe me, I checked. And you don't have much time, the Womans' Hospital Zone is Dec. 14 - Jan 26.

So, I have several dozen that think I am running a breadline for wayward geese in the front yard of my business. The most I counted at one time was 199. It was a very cold November day in 2010.

Anyhoo, I bagged a few and of course proceeded to cook one. These guys are hearty. They are a little tougher than a true wild Canadian because they don't fly south for the Winter and they eat all day long. But there was no off taste. In fact it was actually quite mild. Now, since you don't want to overcook any wild bird, I intentionally used the same cooking method for them as wild geese. That does not work! They are not nearly as lean. If and when I bag some more I am going to try simmering or stewing; Roasting is probably not going to work because they may be too dry by the time they are tender. The drumsticks? Forget it! They were so tough I hurt my jaw chewing.

Now, the downside in my head is the possibility that when these flocks eat on golf courses or other managed grassy areas, they may be picking up some chemical traces. But until I get a chemical analysis, I wouldn't sweat it.

By the way, their numbers are increasing exponentially here in the Nether Region; and they are teaching their offspring to fly. So I asked my buddy at Wildlife and Fisheries what the game plan was going to be when there are so many of them they become a nuisance (there already in some places), and safety hazard? He speculated that they may have to contract hunters to start taking them on purpose.

I told him I am first on the list! ;)

Happy hunting!

Last edited:

charliepapa

Clandestine Sciuridae
    Rating - 100%
    130   0   0
    Jul 12, 2009
    Prairieville
    Anyhoo, I bagged a few and of course proceeded to cook one. These guys are hearty. They are a little tougher than a true wild Canadian because they don't fly south for the Winter and they eat all day long. But there was no off taste. In fact it was actually quite mild. Now, since you don't want to overcook any wild bird, I intentionally used the same cooking method for them as wild geese. That does not work! They are not nearly as lean. If and when I bag some more I am going to try simmering or stewing; Roasting is probably not going to work because they may be too dry by the time they are tender. The drumsticks? Forget it! They were so tough I hurt my jaw chewing.

sounds like the same results I had with one of the neighbors guineas that fell prey to one of our border collies.

Emperor

Seriously Misunderstood!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Nether region
    sounds like the same results I had with one of the neighbors guineas that fell prey to one of our border collies.

Ha! I got 2 pairs of Canadians that fly over my house every day at first light. The next time I get a hankering for one or two, I will be in my driveway with shotgun in hand! ;)

They'll never see it coming!

Now, you know what would be tasty? When they have the fledglings in the Spring. Right before they get their feathers! Yum! :naughty:

Last edited:

charliepapa

Clandestine Sciuridae
    Rating - 100%
    130   0   0
    Jul 12, 2009
    Prairieville
    Now, you know what would be tasty? When they have the fledglings in the Spring. Right before they get their feathers! Yum! :naughty:

I've heard the same thing about turkeys. A guy we did some work for had a hen coming around his house with her brood and when the young-uns were about as big as chickens, he'd pop them with a 22. He said that was the best way to eat a turkey.

Emperor

Seriously Misunderstood!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Nether region
    I've heard the same thing about turkeys. A guy we did some work for had a hen coming around his house with her brood and when the young-uns were about as big as chickens, he'd pop them with a 22. He said that was the best way to eat a turkey.

Where did he find .22's! :eek4:

:mamoru:

barbarossa

Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jun 18, 2010
    Baton Rouge
    You can cook an absolutely killer goose using the low temperature method. Basically, you blast the goose at 425-450F for an hour, then turn the temp down to no more than 175F and leave it in there for 8 hours or thereabouts. Depends on the size of the bird, so use a thermometer.

It will be juicier than any bird you ever had, I promise.

kcinnick

Training Ferrous Metal
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Dec 24, 2008
    Baton Rouge
    This^! For real!

These resident Canadians are legal to take as long as you are properly licensed, the season is open, and the method of take you use is legal. Believe me, I checked. And you don't have much time, the Womans' Hospital Zone is Dec. 14 - Jan 26.

So, I have several dozen that think I am running a breadline for wayward geese in the front yard of my business. The most I counted at one time was 199. It was a very cold November day in 2010.

Now, the downside in my head is the possibility that when these flocks eat on golf courses or other managed grassy areas, they may be picking up some chemical traces. But until I get a chemical analysis, I wouldn't sweat it.

By the way, their numbers are increasing exponentially here in the Nether Region; and they are teaching their offspring to fly. So I asked my buddy at Wildlife and Fisheries what the game plan was going to be when there are so many of them they become a nuisance (there already in some places), and safety hazard? He speculated that they may have to contract hunters to start taking them on purpose.

I told him I am first on the list! ;)

Happy hunting!

I pass by your place a couple times a week heading to Lipseys, how do you take them there.... I wold love a bird or a few... isn't going with someone license just like being licensed?

I was tempted when I was staying at Womans with my sister to get the can out pop a couple of those geese at womens, I could have popped two and had them in the truck and be gone in no time.

Emperor

Seriously Misunderstood!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Nether region
    I pass by your place a couple times a week heading to Lipseys, how do you take them there.... I wold love a bird or a few... isn't going with someone license just like being licensed?

I was tempted when I was staying at Womans with my sister to get the can out pop a couple of those geese at womens, I could have popped two and had them in the truck and be gone in no time.

They had 35 out there yesterday.

I will get you some if you want. How many do you want?

Top Bottom