ID when buying a firearm

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • oldman45

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 22, 2010
    northwest LA
    Has anyone here ever used their concealed weapons permit as indentification when purchasing a gun?

I have always just shown my drivers license to the gun dealer but was buying a gun today and saw a gentleman using his CWP as identification.

Is that legal? If so, does it help avoid being delayed?

rcm192

Sic semper tyrannis
    Staff member
    Rating - 100%
    111   0   0
    May 31, 2010
    New Orleans area
    I've heard that you can use your CHP to skip the phone call to the NICS examiners in certain states, but dont hold me to it. Im not sure how it would avoid being delayed. Its the same info thats on your DL that they would ask for on the phone.

Last edited:

bwalke1

Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Jul 27, 2010
    Baton Rouge
    no, but i did use it for ID to get my passport, the lady at the clerk of court office said let me see some ID so i showed them my Driver's license. i had just had it renewed in june. she looked at it and said i cant use this , why, because it's to "new". uh okay what can i use then, do you have your old expirered license, no but i have CWP, okay she said, that will work. really? i asked her what's the problem with a "new" license and she told me you could be a terrorist that just got a fake ID who happened to be born in white castle la. and have green eyes with a louisiana accent. okay. so a CWP does come in handy for something. never argue with the girls at the clerk of court, besides they are very pretty!

bwalke1

Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Jul 27, 2010
    Baton Rouge
    that is correct, and you will need it to fly cross country in the USA after jan. 1st. the DHS says the La. (and several other states)drivers license is no longer a valid ID. Of course an extension could be filed to extend the time frame but that's what's on the books as of now.

Speaking of passports, have you heard anything about a passport being needed soon to get inside a Federal building? I read last week that a new law was going to make having a passport almost mandatory.

Suburbazine

01001000 01101001 0011111
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 21, 2008
    Baton Rouge, LA
    I couldn't sell you a weapon based on your CHP. On the 4473 form I have to fill out and submit I'm required to collect a valid driver's license number. Otherwise, I would be jeopardizing the company's FFL if something went wrong later.

There may be some exception to this rule but I haven't been taught it yet.

Last edited:

jasonj5313

Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Dec 29, 2011
    Ponchatoula
    OK but is one of those states being Louisiana?
    No,

I Think its the States decision.

I seem to remember something about States choosing if they want to use nics or their own state police to do checks.

I could be wrong about that.

Sent from my HTC PH39100 using Tapatalk 2

JNieman

Dush
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 11, 2011
    Lafayette
    I couldn't sell you a weapon based on your CHP. On the 4473 form I have to fill out and submit I'm required to collect a valid driver's license number. Otherwise, I would be jeopardizing the company's FFL if something went wrong later.

I've used it at some. The DL/ID# on my CHP is the same as my Driver's License number. I've pretty much used my CHP for everything you need a picture ID for by now, I think, just out of curiosity. Banks, concerts, bars, police, court, and more I probably can't recall.

oldman45

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 22, 2010
    northwest LA

OK, I know a lot of people that do not have a driver's license but own firearms. What does one do when the person does not have a DL?

Bill Baldwin

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2012
    Ragley
    No,

I Think its the States decision.

I seem to remember something about States choosing if they want to use nics or their own state police to do checks.

I could be wrong about that.

Sent from my HTC PH39100 using Tapatalk 2

It's up to the ATF and based on the background check performed by the state for the firearms permit. Here's a list of state permits that qualify for alternatives to the background check requirements.

http://www.atf.gov/firearms/brady-law/permit-chart.html

pepe lepew

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 11, 2011
    Baton Rouge, LA.
    no, but i did use it for ID to get my passport, the lady at the clerk of court office said let me see some ID so i showed them my Driver's license. i had just had it renewed in june. she looked at it and said i cant use this , why, because it's to "new". uh okay what can i use then, do you have your old expirered license, no but i have CWP, okay she said, that will work. really? i asked her what's the problem with a "new" license and she told me you could be a terrorist that just got a fake ID who happened to be born in white castle la. and have green eyes with a louisiana accent. okay. so a CWP does come in handy for something. never argue with the girls at the clerk of court, besides they are very pretty!

wow, how stupid, so you could have been a terrorist with CWP...... hahahaha

pepe lepew

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 11, 2011
    Baton Rouge, LA.
    that is correct, and you will need it to fly cross country in the USA after jan. 1st. the DHS says the La. (and several other states)drivers license is no longer a valid ID. Of course an extension could be filed to extend the time frame but that's what's on the books as of now.

proof of the U.S. guberment stopping at nothing when it comes to controlling the masses ........:mad:

oldman45

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 22, 2010
    northwest LA
    It's up to the ATF and based on the background check performed by the state for the firearms permit. Here's a list of state permits that qualify for alternatives to the background check requirements.

http://www.atf.gov/firearms/brady-law/permit-chart.html

Thank you for posting that link.

Now I wonder why Louisiana is not eligible. The background check in Louisiana is more strict than any other state and has more hoops that has to be jumped through. Getting a permit in TX is so easy that it is almost a joke but TX is far more permittee friendly with their laws. Best not have a gun anywhere near the Capitol in BR here but over in TX, having a permit and a gun gets one to the head of the line when touring the Austin Capitol.

Bill Baldwin

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2012
    Ragley
    Thank you for posting that link.

Now I wonder why Louisiana is not eligible. The background check in Louisiana is more strict than any other state and has more hoops that has to be jumped through. Getting a permit in TX is so easy that it is almost a joke but TX is far more permittee friendly with their laws. Best not have a gun anywhere near the Capitol in BR here but over in TX, having a permit and a gun gets one to the head of the line when touring the Austin Capitol.

Louisiana may not run periodic NICS checks on permit holders like some other states do.

oldman45

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 22, 2010
    northwest LA
    Prior to NICS a CHP allowed the holder to avoid the five day wait.

What five day wait? The Brady law only requires a three day wait. Some states like CA has a 10-15 day wait but the Brady law says three according to my understanding.

I am ticked about being delayed. It does not happen often although I buy guns often. I bought a gun a few months back in a town about 70 miles from here. I was delayed. Waited around for about a hour in the town and was not called. Drove home and was called about when I pulled into my drive. A 140 miles round trip and two hours time just to pick up a gun. Locally, I bought a gun and was delayed. Left the store, got about two blocks and was called to pick up my gun.

Things like the above really tick me off.

eagle359

AARP Newbie
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 10, 2008
    Terrytown, LA
    What five day wait? The Brady law only requires a three day wait. Some states like CA has a 10-15 day wait but the Brady law says three according to my understanding.

Three or five-I had a CHP back then so I never waited.

Top Bottom