Ideas on Price for new VCOG from Trijicon?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Fracture_U

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Was just curious if anyone had an idea of what the retail would be when it comes out in August
    https://www.trijicon.com/na_en/products/product1.php?id=VCOG
    VCOG_WN_Reticle.jpg

03protege

#1 Stevel Spell II fan
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Nov 20, 2008
    Mandeville
    Slightly off topic, in a combat situation (urban) would an optic like this basically stay in 1x mode unless you had the privilege of hunkering up somewhere?

Fracture_U

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Slightly off topic, in a combat situation (urban) would an optic like this basically stay in 1x mode unless you had the privilege of hunkering up somewhere?

I am by no means an expert, but before I bought my red dot, I was looking at the Burris Tac30 and at 1x, it seems you could essentially use it as a red dot... so I guess in my opinion, yes

FishingFool

Calls the shot
    Rating - 95.2%
    20   1   0
    Jun 29, 2009
    Metairie
    Yep. Look at the other pics. It has a nice built in cattail on the mag ring to help you adjust in a hurry.

Its about time for more rugged low mag scopes to come out on the market. However, for this much cash I'd just as soon get the time proven swaro.

Trijicon reticle sucks IMO.

superscar17

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 8, 2013
    Broussard
    you must have picked up a bad one. neither my friend or I have had any issues with the elcan specter dr 1-4. it doesn't shift and makes no difference taking it off - putting it on over and over again. The quick release is fine.

The specter is specifically designed for quick target acquisition with its gigantic field of view - something shortdots have yet to accomplish. people don't aim for eyeballs at 20 yards... especially for a 308 - which matches perfectly with a light battle rifle such as a scar17.

I can't speak for a 556 reticle version - I wouldn't put a variable shortdot or an elcan on a 556 anyway. Acogs are pretty much worthless at anything close range.

Last edited:

Vanilla Gorilla

The Gringo Pistolero
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 22, 2008
    you must have picked up a bad one. neither my friend or I have had any issues with the elcan specter dr 1-4. it doesn't shift and makes no difference taking it off - putting it on over and over again. The quick release is fine.

The specter is specifically designed for quick target acquisition with its gigantic field of view - something shortdots have yet to accomplish. people don't aim for eyeballs at 20 yards... especially for a 308 - which matches perfectly with a light battle rifle such as a scar17.

I can't speak for a 556 reticle version - I wouldn't put a variable shortdot or an elcan on a 556 anyway. Acogs are pretty much worthless at anything close range.

Actually people should be aiming at eyeballs at 20 yards. Aim small miss small. The Specter comes with an extraordinarily crappy mount. The ARMS inc. mount has numerous and well documented issues with shifting under recoil and failing
    To return to zero. The Elcan has a
    A nasty habit of shifting to the no mans land between powers while in use and on several optics I saw personally the reticle fell apart inside the optic.

I use a variable on a 5.56 rifle. In fact several of the better and more serious shooters I know all use variables on 5.56 rifles.

superscar17

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 8, 2013
    Broussard
    well - ive personally never seen the specter do any of the above and have put 5-6000 rds through my scar - headshot deer in the snow, shot hogs running, and nutrias from an airboat in the rain.

I've never even heard anyone talking about it in person either as there are very few specter drs in the public domain. Actually, the only 2 I've ever seen anywhere are the 2 we have.

I have read about the problems you speak of in earlier generations of the elcan with the government version.

As far as better or more serious shooters - thats kind of subjective.

Interesting though to say the least.

20121012_144657_zpsca4964b3.jpg

20121012_144633_zpsf13dc805.jpg

Last edited:

Vanilla Gorilla

The Gringo Pistolero
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Feb 22, 2008
    When guys like Kyle Lamb, his AIs, Kyle DeFoor, John Canipe, active members of the US Special Operations Community an others who work with the Elcan on a daily basis report issues I don't think saying they are more
    Serious shooters is subjective at all. When you start putting 100k rounds a year down range perhaps the comparison will become subjective. Personally I have seen a half dozen of the 5.56 version **** the bed and 2 of the 7.62 version. The 7.62 version isn't in wide use because most people prefer the Leupold 1-6 and 1-8, at least on the Mil side. I'm flag you like your optic but saying its without flaws just because yours hasnt had them is short sighted and emotional.

As to my comment about using variables on 5.56 rifles; why wouldn't you? If I can shoot more accurately without a minimal loss of speed why wouldn't I want to use one? If using a 1-4 lets me engage targets all the way through the 5.56mm envelope from 0-400M effectively and accurately AND gives me some additional tools with ranging and target identification why wouldn't I want that? It may suprise you but I use a variable on a SBR.

Top Bottom