If you are going to lie to get out of jury duty ......

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Hogin

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jun 27, 2011
    Independence LA
    I've been called to jury duty once. My employer would pay us our daily wages, if we signed over the jury duty check to them. Hell of a deal as far as I was concerned. I think I enjoyed it too much, that was 15 years ago and I have not been called for jury duty since. :(

Doug.38PR

*Banned*
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 23, 2009
    Backwoods Louisiana
    No offense but I have a business to run. I cannot afford kangaroo court entertaimment.

^ This

I don't like to be involuntarily forced to down there to get herded around like cattle, ask personal questions that are none of their business and threatened with being thrown in jail if I refuse and risk getting caught up in an endless trail that could last for months......all for $4.00 a day. I have a life to live, bills to pay and a living to earn.

They want my help, request it and make it worth my while. (do they really want jurors that are worried about not being able to meet financial obligations? Or jurors that are voluntary, willing and adequately payed for their time and are able to focus on a trial?)

Last edited:

Yrdawg

*Banned*
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 24, 2006
    Big Woods
    ^ This

I don't like to be involuntarily forced to down there to get herded around like cattle, ask personal questions that are none of their business and threatened with being thrown in jail if I refuse and risk getting caught up in an endless trail that could last for months......all for $4.00 a day. I have a life to live, bills to pay and a living to earn.

They want my help, request it and make it worth my while. (do they really want jurors that are worried about not being able to meet financial obligations? Or jurors that are voluntary, willing and adequately payed for their time and are able to focus on a trial?)

Usually I think they want non thinkers, otherwise you'll ask why its about the most money for the best lawyer to decide a winner instead of whats right and fair.

Courts want to tell you what you can use as criteria to make a decision, what you can remember or not remember, ....it's the best broken system in the world...or so I am told .

Doug.38PR

*Banned*
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 23, 2009
    Backwoods Louisiana
    ^
    Exactly. I've been called twice in my life already. I go down there dressed nice (some people mistake me for a lawyer or DA) and prepared to tell them that 1) I have a high school education, 2) I'm born and raised in the USA, 3) I speak English, 4) I'm Conservative, 5) I believe in the Death Penalty, 6) I am aware of the option of Jury Nullification, 7) I'm Christian and I expect to be quickly dismissed to go home after only one day of no pay.

That's a pretty sorry state of affiars when the lowest common denominator is what's desired.

Funny: Last time, I almost got selected (in Houston). I had to come back the next day, apparently for some criminal trial. It apparently involved a black man on trail for something (and apparently black militant groups were trying to create a racial stir about it too). As you can see by my avatar, I am unReconstructed and value my Southern Heritage. I often wear confederate flags of different types on the lapel of my sportcoat or suit.
    Well, I went down there dressed nice as usual, got in the elevator in the courthouse....and who should step in the elevator with me but a couple of black men dressed in paramilitary garb wearing black berets guarding some well dressed black lawyer. (I don't know if it was Nation of Islam or Black Panthers, one of the paramilitary guys had a logo with the continent of Africa on his shoulder)).....and there I was with a confederate flag on my lapel. :eek3: ....and a prospective juror for the trail they were protesting......I kept my lapel turned towards the wall as best I could......

Last edited:

4sooth

enthusiast
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Got called twice in 50 years. Once while I was a reserve officer. Normally that would disqualify me but they wanted me there. The judge called everyone up who thought they should not be there. I went up, explained I was a reserve officer and what agency I was with. He said that if I felt I could be fair that I could still serve and to sit down. After being called up to the jury box along with 12 other people I was asked if I knew the DA, assistant DA, prosecutor, the defendant, his lawyer or any of the court staff. I explained that my father was acquainted with the DA and the judge(surprised looks) and also that I was familiar with the defendant. When asked how I knew the defendant I said, "I was among the group of officers who arrested him." You should have seen the "What are you trying to pull?" looks from the defendants attorney towards the judge and DA. The judge looked embarrassed and dismissed me. Next time was two years ago. Almost the same story. Once I told them I used to be a reserve officer for two different agencies I was sent home.

Yrdawg

*Banned*
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 24, 2006
    Big Woods
    ^
    Exactly. I've been called twice in my life already. I go down there dressed nice (some people mistake me for a lawyer or DA) and prepared to tell them that 1) I have a high school education, 2) I'm born and raised in the USA, 3) I speak English, 4) I'm Conservative, 5) I believe in the Death Penalty, 6) I am aware of the option of Jury Nullification, 7) I'm Christian and I expect to be quickly dismissed to go home after only one day of no pay.

That's a pretty sorry state of affiars when the lowest common denominator is what's desired.

Funny: Last time, I almost got selected (in Houston). I had to come back the next day, apparently for some criminal trial. It apparently involved a black man on trail for something (and apparently black militant groups were trying to create a racial stir about it too). As you can see by my avatar, I am unReconstructed and value my Southern Heritage. I often wear confederate flags of different types on the lapel of my sportcoat or suit.
    Well, I went down there dressed nice as usual, got in the elevator in the courthouse....and who should step in the elevator with me but a couple of black men dressed in paramilitary garb wearing black berets guarding some well dressed black lawyer. (I don't know if it was Nation of Islam or Black Panthers, one of the paramilitary guys had a logo with the continent of Africa on his shoulder)).....and there I was with a confederate flag on my lapel. :eek3: ....and a prospective juror for the trail they were protesting......I kept my lapel turned towards the wall as best I could......

Ha...perfect time for a big Hey Y'all...hows ya mama and them ??? Don't forget a big cracker grin and some cornpone and grits on yo brogans

Skiney

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Nov 29, 2010
    Between the A & the T
    [/B]Ha...perfect time for a big Hey Y'all...hows ya mama and them ??? Don't forget a big cracker grin and some cornpone and grits on yo brogans

DAMN DAWG you got me smiling and grinning again you one funny guy....Keep it up Jocularity is good IMHO along with some good photo's that make you smile:}

BayouDeputy

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 27, 2010
    Plaquemine, La
    Yea well try being LEO. Work 12 hour shift. Get off and go to court 2 hours after getting off work, sit in court for 6-7 hours. Then go home, change and head back to work for another 12 hour shift. I've even had it that I had court the next day as well.

Been there many times....It sucks big time but it comes with the job!

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    RedactedUsername
    Top Bottom