If you were down to one handgun.....

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • DBMJR1

Madame Mayor's Fiefdom
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jul 27, 2008
    New Orleans, La.
    I think I would have to stick with my Dan Wesson 715. 38/357 I can reload, and have many thousands of components for. I can load any thing from a small game round, to a round capable of taking anything in North America. A wheel gun, because you can't reload brass you can't find. Dan Wesson because I can have anything from a snub nose revolver for home defense, to a 9 1/2" scoped hunting rig, with a 6" barrel in between.

CUJOHUNTER

EARPLUGS??
    Rating - 100%
    156   0   0
    May 19, 2009
    New Orleans
    Have to agree with deadidunn....one gun,three calibers. Ruger Blackhawk 38/357,9mm convertible. Tough,reliable,accurate (not so much with 9mm,but who cares),dependable and flexible. The ultimate one gun only scenario for me cuz I've got ammo choices. It's a SA revovlver so there's no comparison with the other pistols or SA/DA revolvers but it won't let you down and if you have to hunt for ammo...you've got choices.

12secHemi

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 30, 2010
    Alexandria, LA
    You're making me decide between my G23 and most beloved S&W 642 airweight?!? You bastard lol.
    OK, G23 because it's a better SHTF firearm because of capacity.

Skiney

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Nov 29, 2010
    Between the A & the T
    Have to agree with deadidunn....one gun,three calibers. Ruger Blackhawk 38/357,9mm convertible. Tough,reliable,accurate (not so much with 9mm,but who cares),dependable and flexible. The ultimate one gun only scenario for me cuz I've got ammo choices. It's a SA revovlver so there's no comparison with the other pistols or SA/DA revolvers but it won't let you down and if you have to hunt for ammo...you've got choices.

Hummmmmm Great idea I have one of those two but you folks said only one:{

woodsstalker

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 8, 2009
    Without a doubt it would be a XD .45 compact with Crimpson Trace in a Supertuck holster. I hate to think of only one but that would be it.

returningliberty

Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Nov 8, 2009
    Hammond, LA
    I havent been here in forever, but seeing this thread makes me smile :) personally, i'd go with my brand spankin' new G34 for 3 reasons: ammo availability, longer barrel than any other handgun I own ( so i hopefully wont waste ammo if I have to bang away at 50 yards), and its feels more balanced in my hand compared to my (admittedly wonderful) G17.

Ben Segrest

Rating - 96.3%
    26   1   0
    Oct 20, 2008
    Lafayette

I really like the idea of the HK45, liked the one I handled, but never shot one. If it works near as well for me as I think it would, it would be my choice.

angrycookieman

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 27, 2009
    Central Louisiana near Pitkin
    I got my Glock out and shot it again the other day and I've changed my mind. It is accurate, reliable, and I trust it, but I'll stick to my CZ. The glock is like holding on to a brick. I have been spoiled and don't want to go back to shooting the Glock, ever. Second choice is the S&W 686.

Last edited:

Yrdawg

*Banned*
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 24, 2006
    Big Woods
    If my Glock breaks I can take the one off the Venezulean Army guy I just popped and use his for a parts kit. And use his 9 ball ammo, or the Egyptian or the A-Stanian..or or or

GeeLock is just too simple and easily field repaired to consider anything else. I might see taking a cooler gun if there were gunsmiths available but in SHTF forever take the G Lock n 9

Sin-ster

GM of 4 Letter Outbursts
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0

That's a very, very good looking pistol.

I can't choose a revolver because A) I don't shoot them nearly enough, and B) I don't have a viable candidate.

Fortunately, I can't think of a single scenario that would limit me to just 1 handgun. (Long gun, sure-- but I'm sticking another pistol away in the pack without question.)

Hardballing

Rating - 100%
    38   0   0
    Jan 8, 2010
    Metairie, LA
    Please elaborate on this. Im interested. Ive shot both.

Since most would consider Glocks to be self defense related weapons, not target weapons per se, and since the calibers for same are not "punishing" by most standards, having a port on a weapon for defense could have negative consequences, with few real world benefits. For example, weapon retention and firing close to the body, unless accounted for with training specific to comped or ported weapons, with the C models you'll get potentially peppered in the face with either debri or blast. Another example is discharge inside of a vehicle will result in you getting a new headliner or cleaning your old one, peppering an occupant with debris or gasses, etc.

While Glock and/or some gun magazines (and dedicated "game guns" are not the issue here) tout the "quicker follow up shot" potential of the porting, there are downsides that outweigh that potential benefit. One that does tend to sell is the 20C due to somes perception of the recoil of the 10mm. I find, and apparently so do others, that the Glock system and the polymer frame has more than enough flex to tame that round without resorting to ports.

Hence they tend to set on shelves unsold. However, adding a non ported stainless or in the white barrel does provide a pretty cool contrasting look to the slide imo. :) Not saying I buy all of ths, to each their own and I don't tend to be a gunsnob in poking the eye of someone who likes something different. But there ARE downsides to porting in a SD weapon and you did ask.

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    joshualectric
    Top Bottom