IFAKs & Medical Kits

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • bigtattoo79

Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Sep 12, 2009
    LA
    I just sent a couple of emails about medical/trauma type training classes and now I am looking at all the different IFAKs and medical kits. Right now I am looking at the EDC type IFAKs and I am looking for a quality M3/type Medic Bag for the truck.

Wanted to see what most here carry?

AustinBR

Make your own luck
    Staff member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 22, 2012
    I used this bag (link below) and spent around 120 and made an awesome first aid kit in the center part. It has two front pockets about cell phone size and two big side pockets. On the front I have some matchs that will burn under water, a poncho, and some extra nitrile gloves. Then a good spread of random survival / first aid / prepared for anything stuff. It weighs around 5 pounds.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0..._m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=00YZAX67WQ6NR1EBRJYM

doc ace

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 14, 2012
    Pineville/Deville
    Drop the $600 on a London Bridge...

:) I kid I kid. But seriously I've got two (one brand new and partially stocked lol) if you need one we can work out a deal.

I have a really nice jump pack/trauma pack leg rig by North American Rescue. Black. Drops down vertical when you unzip, no NSN # but is a leg rig and has plenty of attachment areas for D Ring'ing it in a vehicle or securing it somehow other than your leg. I have a s#%t ton of kurlex, ace bandages, and velcat tournequits in there, maybe an Israeli or two, but I strap it on my pack when I'm deer hunting or hiking just in case. Also have some 14 gauge's in there for Needle Chest Decompression. Never know when a hunting trip on public land can go awry. PM me for my number I can send pics.

EDIT here's the closest I could find.

http://www.narescue.com/USCG_IFAK-CN5B2F15EFB001.html

I don't know why it's labeled USCG but whatever. Mine had physical storage area to put a bag of hextend/drip lines/IV catheters behind all of my trauma junk too for long patrols when I threw on my fake camelback sneaky smaller aid bag so I wouldn't get picked off as Doc.

Ace

Last edited:

JNieman

Dush
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 11, 2011
    Lafayette
    I've got a good bag a doc buddy put together for me. At first I only knew how to use like 30% of the stuff. Now I know how to use 95% but I'm getting there. Knowing how to use the stuff you put in it is most important, I figure. I've known too many people that think just having it will help, or that someone who knows will come along and use it for them or something.

Anyways, my input is to get a list of what you want in it... don't look at the kits and just buy a kit - it's a ripoff. It'll be cheap crappy stuff that doesn't work, or just a glorified boo-boo kit, in which case you're still better off buying your own box of bandaids, gauze, and med tape.

JBE

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 1, 2010
    Welsh, LA
    Anyways, my input is to get a list of what you want in it... don't look at the kits and just buy a kit - it's a ripoff. It'll be cheap crappy stuff that doesn't work, or just a glorified boo-boo kit, in which case you're still better off buying your own box of bandaids, gauze, and med tape.

+1...

99% of the pre-stocked bags that you can buy come pre-stocked with cr@p

SpeedRacer

Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Feb 23, 2007
    Mandeville, LA
    A good start is the Marines Enhanced IFAK, they can be found for around $40-50 and include a lot of goodies (TQ, QuikClot, compression bandage, etc) much cheaper than buying them seperately.

My personal vehicle/primary trauma kit is built on an SOE Gear Med Satchel. Very compact but holds enough stuff for two casulties. You can't see it in the pics but there's a pocket behind everything on the side with the gauze. TQs, Israeli bandages, QuikClot Combat Guaze, general use gauze, triangle bandage, shears, nasal airway, HyFin chest seals, decomp needles, duct tape, medical marker, some other knick knacks and a Benchmade rescue tool.

e6aregy6.jpg

agu3asyj.jpg

JNieman

Dush
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 11, 2011
    Lafayette
    SOE has a good few pouches/bags for medical stuff that I've really liked. I'm tempted to get one for my next bag.

I got a couple Marine IFAKs coming in that I'm going to keep on my belt when in a training class, and the other in the vehicle. Never know when something can go wrong when training, and I would hate to rely on someone else to have medical equipment, in case some wannabe Sonny Puzinkas shows up, and I'm the one taping targets at the time...

I don't know where the medical stuff is for the USPSA matches, either, though I know we have lots of EMTs and First Responders there participating, which is good.

Even James Yeager, famed for some of his violent rhetoric, now, has often said "You're more likely to save a life with medical equipment than you are with a gun"

SpeedRacer

Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Feb 23, 2007
    Mandeville, LA
    SOE has a good few pouches/bags for medical stuff that I've really liked. I'm tempted to get one for my next bag.

I got a couple Marine IFAKs coming in that I'm going to keep on my belt when in a training class, and the other in the vehicle. Never know when something can go wrong when training, and I would hate to rely on someone else to have medical equipment, in case some wannabe Sonny Puzinkas shows up, and I'm the one taping targets at the time...

I don't know where the medical stuff is for the USPSA matches, either, though I know we have lots of EMTs and First Responders there participating, which is good.

Even James Yeager, famed for some of his violent rhetoric, now, has often said "You're more likely to save a life with medical equipment than you are with a gun"

I agree. My vehicle kit is my most robust, but I also have smaller kits mounted on my training gear and range bag as well as a couple others tossed in various places. Trauma supplies are not cheap and not nearly as "fun" as buying guns and accessories. However, I had the choice between 1 gun and a trauma kit or 10 guns and nothing, I'll take the trauma kit.

bigtattoo79

Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Sep 12, 2009
    LA
    Thanks for the links and names to good packs and IFAKs.

I really like the idea if the M-3 Medic bag home truck use.
    Does anyone know of a quality M-3 Medic they all seem kinda cheep?

Last edited:

troy_mclure

Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 13, 2010
    Central
    ifaks have come a long way! lol
    my unit was one of the first to get more than the basic pressure dressing pouch when we deployed. it was just a cheap zippered bag with a ratchet strap for a tourniquet and some various bandages and gauze. quickclot was still only available to the medics at that point.

JBE

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 1, 2010
    Welsh, LA
    A good start is the Marines Enhanced IFAK, they can be found for around $40-50 and include a lot of goodies (TQ, QuikClot, compression bandage, etc) much cheaper than buying them seperately.

My personal vehicle/primary trauma kit is built on an SOE Gear Med Satchel. Very compact but holds enough stuff for two casulties. You can't see it in the pics but there's a pocket behind everything on the side with the gauze. TQs, Israeli bandages, QuikClot Combat Guaze, general use gauze, triangle bandage, shears, nasal airway, HyFin chest seals, decomp needles, duct tape, medical marker, some other knick knacks and a Benchmade rescue tool.

e6aregy6.jpg

agu3asyj.jpg

I would strongly recommend following Speedracer's example for an IFAK...Very nice, well-thought out setup that includes the essentials for treating immediate life threats.

doc ace

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 14, 2012
    Pineville/Deville
    Individual First Aid Kit, the .mil's terminology for the first aid/trauma kit each member is equipped with.

All great great ideas. I'm 110% for buying your own good medical supplies to stock up the kits.

Just a tiny bit of info from a really anal doc, it's Improved First Aid Kit, btw. lol. Does nothing to save lives by knowing that but y'know...

doc ace

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 14, 2012
    Pineville/Deville
    Also, make sure you prep everything that has plastic that has to be pulled apart with little tape tags that'll better assist in opening. Body fluids are slick and slimy and will give you a hell of a time trying to pull open kurlex or the likes with bloody gloves.

bigtattoo79

Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Sep 12, 2009
    LA
    I would strongly recommend following Speedracer's example for an IFAK...Very nice, well-thought out setup that includes the essentials for treating immediate life threats.

I agree 100% I would love to put a IFAK together just like his.

I still wanna put together a medic type bag that covers more of the boo-boo type stuff along with ace bands and ect.

Top Bottom