Illegal turns

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • blitztech

Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Apr 3, 2012
    Houston
    So we had a company picnic today and as everyone is leaving there's a cop flagging everyone down and giving us all tickets for an illegal left turn. Its a two way road and we're all leaving a parking lot making an illegal left instead of turning right. I didnt even see the sign he was talking about as I made the left as the road has no one on it except us.

My question is this. He wrote the citation for a violation of section 32-78 which can be read http://www.legis.state.la.us/lss/lss.asp?doc=88590

Did I break this law? Is this going to hike my insurance rates? Should I contest it? This is my first ticket in 10 years so I'm pretty upset

JBP55

La. CHP Instructor #409
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    338   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Walker
    One minor traffic violation in 10 years will not cause a hike in your insurance. Ask for a 894 when you pay the citation and it will not go on your record.

RedStickChick

-Global Mod-
    Premium Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 6, 2012
    Baton Rouge
    These are the guidelines for 894 for Baton Rouge a far as I know.
    zebegy5u.jpg

I know a lot of people will say don't waste an 894 on small violations and to save it for something like a DUI, I have a feeling that since this is your first violation in 10 years you're ok.

Last edited:

JBP55

La. CHP Instructor #409
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    338   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Walker
    These are the guidelines for 894 for Baton Rouge a far as I know.
    zebegy5u.jpg

I know a lot of people will say don't waste an 894 on small violations and to save it for something like a DUI, I have a feeling that since this is your first violation in 10 years you're ok.

Ask those people if they issue Citations or work in a Courtroom or in the legal system. Use the Article 894 if you can.
    They are available from the local jurisdiction where the Citation is issued and your insurance company does not see them when they check your record as it is not reported to the State.
    Now if you get multiple Citations in the same City in a short period of time it is very difficult to get an Article 894.

blitztech

Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Apr 3, 2012
    Houston
    Well I don't drink and I try not to break the law. In this circumstance I just never saw the sign. Not really a place I'd be expecting a right turn only sign. It's a bizarre spot to post a sign like that.

JBP55

La. CHP Instructor #409
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    338   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Walker
    Well I don't drink and I try not to break the law. In this circumstance I just never saw the sign. Not really a place I'd be expecting a right turn only sign. It's a bizarre spot to post a sign like that.

Go to Court.

Mojo Rider

Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Jun 22, 2011
    Denham Springs
    Not really a place I'd be expecting a right turn only sign. It's a bizarre spot to post a sign like that.

Which explains why the cop was set up there. Call the number on the ticket and explain that you have a squeaky clean record and would like to keep it that way. Most cities/parishes will tell you to come in and pay the fine and they will make sure it stays off your record. I do this all the time.
    In larger cities they will actually use the section 894 and check your record to make sure you are eligible. Out of the last 9 tickets I've only had to use the 894 two times. One in Baton Rouge and one in Shreveport.

JNieman

Dush
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 11, 2011
    Lafayette
    Which explains why the cop was set up there. Call the number on the ticket and explain that you have a squeaky clean record and would like to keep it that way. Most cities/parishes will tell you to come in and pay the fine and they will make sure it stays off your record. I do this all the time.
    In larger cities they will actually use the section 894 and check your record to make sure you are eligible. Out of the last 9 tickets I've only had to use the 894 two times. One in Baton Rouge and one in Shreveport.
    Sounds like you should be just about out of second chances by now. :eek3:

nolaradio

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 8, 2012
    Parts unknown
    I've been to court twice because it's mandatory if you're caught going 15 mph or more over. This was in Jefferson Parish. When my name was called they announced I was eligible. I asked "eligible for what?" It was to plead article 894 and explained to me as it was posted above. What they don't explain is that it tacks on another $10 fee to the violation. The second time I went I told them I didn't want to plead the article 894 because I was too cheap to pay the extra $10. You should have seen the eyes turn in the courtroom. Three people told me that my insurance would go up if I didn't take the 894. Guess what, 6 speeding tickets in my lifetime and not once has my insurance gone up because of any of them. Three accidents and no rate hikes either.
    I know a guy that works in the Jefferson Parish traffic court and here's how he explained it to me. There is no one at the courthouse that is paid to call each defendant's insurance to tattle on them and report that they received a speeding violation. And most insurance companies don't have the time to be checking the driving records of all their customers either. Insurance companies usually need to have a reason to check into your record, like when you file a claim or are in an accident.
    Anyway, you may feel at ease by using the article 894. I won't knock you if you do. Another option is to request to see the D.A. and asking to plead guilty to a non-moving violation. You'll still pay a fine but it looks better than a moving violation on your record. My wife took that route once.
    By the way, I found it interesting that my last fine for going 16 mph over the limit was less than if I was guilty of going 14 mph over the limit. 14 mph would have been over $300 but I was fined $50 plus court fees which came to $280.

JCcypress

Gun Trust Lawyer
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    83   0   0
    Jun 9, 2011
    Baton Rouge, LA
    Don't know about Kenner (assuming that's where you were) but in BR, you can go to court and ask to participate in the pre-trial intervention/diversion program (PTI). If eligible, you will be allowed to take a class, pay a fee, and have the charge completely dismissed.

Another option (in BR, at least) is to go to court and ask the prosecutor to drop the charge to a non-moving violation, which will have absolutely no effect on your insurance. With a clean record, this shouldn't be a big deal.

Good luck!

Bullet

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 31, 2008
    New Orleans - Westbank
    I got a seat belt ticket today. A while back I was side swiped when another driver in the opposite direction crossed the dividing lines. He didn’t even stop. Turned around and caught up to him at this house and he didn’t seem interested so I called the police. He didn’t even get a ticket. I kind of thought he’d get two. One for crossing over the line and the other for hit and run. Guess I was more deserving.

Last edited:

ahamay79

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 6, 2013
    New Roads
    "I didnt even see the sign he was talking about as I made the left as the road has no one on it except us. "

Go back and take pictures of the area. See if there are any signs out there making the left turn illegal. And huddle up with the other ticketed coworkers and see what they observed. If there are no signs, then there should be no tickets.

Bullet

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 31, 2008
    New Orleans - Westbank
    So we had a company picnic today and as everyone is leaving there's a cop flagging everyone down and giving us all tickets for an illegal left turn. Its a two way road and we're all leaving a parking lot making an illegal left instead of turning right. I didnt even see the sign he was talking about as I made the left as the road has no one on it except us.

My question is this. He wrote the citation for a violation of section 32-78 which can be read http://www.legis.state.la.us/lss/lss.asp?doc=88590

Did I break this law? Is this going to hike my insurance rates? Should I contest it? This is my first ticket in 10 years so I'm pretty upset

Just wondering if he signed your ticket? The ticketing SP officer didn't sign mine. Just wondering if all don't sign.

blitztech

Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Apr 3, 2012
    Houston
    There is a sign posted, it sits in front of the turn. Yes he signed the ticket.

I'm just wondering why the infraction 32-78 looks like its for going the wrong way on a one-way road, and I was making an illegal left on a two-way street.

Unfortunately I can't get any info on the ticket for 3 weeks and the phone number for the clerk of courts goes to a voicemail with instructions to pay online...

blitztech

Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Apr 3, 2012
    Houston
    Well I just went back to the scene. Sure enough its a two-lane one way road. The sign is in front of the turn about ten feet to the right of center if you're making the turn. I could argue insufficient notice, but its pointless. I'm just gonna see who I can talk to about a reduced fine or whatever they'll do.

Top Bottom