I'm in Ruger Heaven!

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Exterra1

Oldiebutgoodie
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Went to the gun show in Gonzales Saturday, wanted an inexpensive .22 pistol to kill targets with rather than just burn out my new Berretta 9MM PX4, that I got as my first gun in 17 years. Planned on spending under $300.00, maybe a Ruger Mark III bull barrell in blue, possibly a S&W 22, didn't really know. Looked, felt, drooled over a lot of guns and then I spotted a Ruger S/S Hunter with that gorgeous 6 7/8" fluted barrel, beautiful wooden grips and laser front site and I fell in love! It was more than I planned to spend and I went to every dealer that had one to bargain with them and fondle the gun again, my 9 year old grandson finally asked "are you going to buy that gun PawPaw or can we go eat?" I said, "you know what, I am", and I did. Haven't fired it yet, had a 50 mile bike ride that wore me out Sunday, but it's OK, I'm good with drooling over it and polishing it!

zguinness

Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    Holden, LA
    I know that feeling. You get a brand new (or even slightly used) firearm and you just want to keep looking at it and holding it and shooting it. Every time I get a new weapon it's my favorite. I feel like a kid in a candy store... man, what a good feeling. :cheers:

mnop308

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 19, 2009
    bossier
    Sometimes you get lucky. Last show I found a never been fired Ruger MKII 4 3/4 inch blue standard model that I have been looking for over the last several years. Pobably made in the early to mid 80's. Put a set of Ruger imitation ivory grips on it, and she looks great and shoots like a dream.

Enjoy, its a Ruger.

CUJOHUNTER

EARPLUGS??
    Rating - 100%
    156   0   0
    May 19, 2009
    New Orleans
    The great thing about that MarkIII is that you will fire that gun till the cows come home and it won't put a dent in your ammo money.......and yes,Ruger is GREAT!!!!

rustyduck

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 26, 2008
    near morgan city
    i too was at the gun show looking for a .22lr handgun. i wanted a full size one and a pocket one. looked at all of them but thought the prices where just a tad too high and decided to wait. stopped at cabela's after the gun show and saw that s&w 22a. for $199 and bought one on the spot.

s&w 22a vs. ruger mark 3 vs browning buckmark. i choose the 22a mainly cause of the price and its so much more easy to take down and clean than the other two. the 22a is very accurate and pretty reliable with cheap bulk ammo. but not perfect. i stopped in the cane field on my way home and shot a 325 round box of federal. i have 3 or 4 stove pipes early on then it ran 100% for the rest of the 325 rounds.

next day i went shoot again. i had the winchester 555 red box ammo. i had 1 fail to feed and 1 fail to fire, put that round back in and it fired. shot another hundred or so rounds with no problem. i'll give it 1,000 for a break in period? still i find it works well for being a semiauto .22 with bulk ammo.

those 10 round mags are too easy to load, i shoot too much. i painted the front site no problem.

f350drvr

Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Jun 16, 2008
    NOLA
    I picked up a Mark III 22/45 a couple months ago and it runs like a champ. I have put about 1500 rounds through it, only cleaned it once, and it has 0 problems as long as I use good mags.

RedNeckRuger

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 5, 2011
    New Orleans, LA
    You may want to disassemble it and give it a good cleaning. I know after alot of shooting crappy brick ammo my slide gets kinda gunked up.

I did that. I have only shot about 300 rounds of winchester ammo through it. I did a little research. #8 is what on this page is what I believe is going on. Aside from this, it is an awesome gun.

I shot my cousins Mark III Hunter and that is when I fell in love with this gun. I couldnt justify spending close to $500 for a .22, so I got the blued Mark III Target for a little over $300.

Last edited:

angrycookieman

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 27, 2009
    Central Louisiana near Pitkin
    Create a post for it if you haven't already and we will try to help. What caused the issue? Is it after cleaning, or a jam? -Edit- didn't see your post, guess I hadn't refreshed in a while. That does look like your problem, should be a simple fix.

Last edited:

angrycookieman

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 27, 2009
    Central Louisiana near Pitkin
    Oh, and congrats to the original poster, you will love the ruger. I think they are by far the best .22 in the price range. Sometimes, it's worth it to pay more for what you really want. In fact, I would say most of the time it is for me, because if I try to cheap out I will not usually be happy, and then end up getting what I should have bought the first time.

Top Bottom