In all the negative this country has seen at least we have some positive

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • pecka

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 9, 2012
    Montz
    I wonder how this will play out in areas where firearms are not allowed like certain WMA's. The law/rules not allowing firearms would have been written with hunting in mind, not self protection. I hunt an area that "single projectile" firearms are not allowed. It is federal property and not state.

Update:
    Found my answer, just dont know what this means...
    E. Bowhunters may carry any caliber of firearm on their person, while
    10 hunting with a bow, a pistol no larger than a .22 caliber with snake shot or rat shot
    11 ammunition for the purposes of killing snakes and rats. The provisions of this
    12 Subsection shall in no way be interpreted to limit the ability of the department
    13 to regulate hunting activities in a wildlife management area in accordance with
    14 R.S. 56:10

Last edited:

Bigchillin83

Rating - 100%
    96   0   1
    Feb 27, 2012
    Livingston
    I know if you have a chp you can legally carry a pistol on a WMA in LA. while duck hunting, bow hunting, deer hunting ect... With out it being a .22 with rat shot, the new law proposed now will allow anybody not just chp holder, to carry a pistol with standard ball/hp ammo while bow hunting and not be limited to rat shot

Emperor

Seriously Misunderstood!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Nether region
    I wonder how this will play out in areas where firearms are not allowed like certain WMA's. The law/rules not allowing firearms would have been written with hunting in mind, not self protection. I hunt an area that "single projectile" firearms are not allowed. It is federal property and not state.

Update:
    Found my answer, just dont know what this means...
    E. Bowhunters may carry any caliber of firearm on their person, while
    10 hunting with a bow, a pistol no larger than a .22 caliber with snake shot or rat shot
    11 ammunition for the purposes of killing snakes and rats. The provisions of this
    12 Subsection shall in no way be interpreted to limit the ability of the department
    13 to regulate hunting activities in a wildlife management area in accordance with
    14 R.S. 56:10

It means, you could (by choice or not), already carry the .22 with the rat shot while bow hunting. And now you can carry any firearm with you (by choice or not), along with the .22 (by choice or not), or one of the other (by choice or not), or neither. It was long overdue. This old idea that just because a bow hunter has a firearm while hunting may cause him/her to all of a sudden become a poacher has always been ridiculous.

I'd say with regard to gun laws and personal responsibility, we (in Louisiana), are evolving! And, that is the way they amend Statutes.

Bigchillin83

Rating - 100%
    96   0   1
    Feb 27, 2012
    Livingston
    It means, you could (by choice or not), already carry the .22 with the rat shot while bow hunting. And now you can carry any firearm with you (by choice or not), along with the .22 (by choice or not), or one of the other (by choice or not), or neither. It was long overdue. This old idea that just because a bow hunter has a firearm while hunting may cause him/her to all of a sudden become a poacher has always been ridiculous.

I'd say with regard to gun laws and personal responsibility, we (in Louisiana), are evolving! And, that is the way they amend Statutes.

Are you an attorney???? Lol that sounds good, you are right it's long over due, if we want to break the law we will do it, weather or not we carry a pistol will not change that during bow season.. Baby steps , baby steps in the right direction

pecka

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 9, 2012
    Montz

Thanks. Now I understand. But what about federal
    owned lands? In particular, Army Corps of Engineers lands. I guess this law wouldn't apply?

Last edited:
    Top Bottom