In need of a .44mag revolver. What do you guys think about Taurus?

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ChrisK

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 29, 2009
    Natchez, MS
    I have several thousand rounds of .44mag ammo but I sold/traded my DE .44. I don't want to sell the ammo, so I've been thinking about picking up a .44 revolver.

I don't want to spend a fortune either, want to stay below $600 for a new one.

I'm looking at the Raging Bull, love the way it looks. Anyone got any input on it? Or any other .44 mag revolvers?

Thanks.

Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Jun 24, 2009
    Pineville/Alexandria
    My Raging Bull was a hoss - liked pretty much everything about it. I think it is probably the best bang for the buck. Smith's and Colt's are somewhat pricey right now but Ruger has some fine SA and DA examples priced fairly.

ChrisK

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 29, 2009
    Natchez, MS
    I do like the way the 629 looks as well and I do like S&W handguns. I will keep an eye out. I'm in no rush.

Keep em coming guys. I'm building a list now haha.

Leadfoot

Low Speed High Drag
    Rating - 100%
    104   0   0
    Mar 4, 2009
    Livingston Parish
    Spent yesterday shooting a 629. Hard to beat. Ringing a metal gong at 100 yards is a real hoot. Keep an eye on Gunbroker and LA Sportsman. They're out there for the right price if you're patient.

Pale Horse

one quarter civilized
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    May 15, 2007
    West Monroe, LA
    I don't have any experience with Taurus' .44 magnums, but I did have a .38 made by them for a very short time. The forcing cone looked like it was ground after the barrel was installed in the frame with the middle bit in the pic by a blind, epileptic orangutan wearing boxing gloves and going through meth withdrawal.

28780_lrg.jpg

I took the Taurus and a S&W to the range, along with 280 rounds of the same type of ammo. 5 rounds through the Taurus resulted in more leading than 275 did in the S&W.

Redd508

Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    May 18, 2012
    Lafayette
    Dont discount the Taurus. I've been hunting with a RB for years and never had any problems with the quality of the gun. I've taken a number of deer an done alot of target shooting. The grips are great for recoil and the gun is plenty accurate for hunting. Mine is the 454 and i shoot some hot 45 colt handloads sometimes too. If you handload at all then consider the rugers too. The cylinders are a bit longer than the smiths and are more tolerant if your hunting loads are a little out of spec.

VeedUp

Gold Member
    Rating - 100%
    54   0   0
    Oct 15, 2007
    Destrehan, La.
    I have just one Taurus revolver, the 8 shot 608 with the ported barrel, it shoots great the trigger isn't as nice as the S&W's trigger pulls but it's not horrible.

Gus McCrae

No sir, I ain't.
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 25, 2009
    Colorado
    I have a couple of their snubs with no complaints. I've had a couple of bigger .357 Mags and they worked fine. There actually is a good bit of praise for the Raging Bull series though I've not owned one. I wouldn't have a problem owning one.

But, a Smith or Ruger will hold their value better if you do decide to sell. They are generally smoother and better fit and finished than a Taurus.

Leadfoot

Low Speed High Drag
    Rating - 100%
    104   0   0
    Mar 4, 2009
    Livingston Parish
    There's a Dan Wesson for sale in the classifieds for $550. I'd take that over any smith.

Dan Wesson revolvers are top notch. I don't know that I would go so far as to take one over a Smith. It depends on model.

In this case, if a 629 wasn't available, I would certainly take the DW over anything else offered.

deadidunn

Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Mar 3, 2010
    Hineston, LA
    I love my SA Super Blackhawk. I've never shot a 629 or a Super Redhawk, both either would be great I'd imagine. I've owned a couple taurus revolvers, but didn't care for them.

Top Bottom