In search of a bag

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • AustinBR

Make your own luck
    Staff member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 22, 2012
    Hello world! I am currently in search of a bag to fit my needs and you might be able to help! I am looking for a high quality bag that I can keep in the back of my SUV that could be thrown in a boat or go on a trip and survive water, dirt, and whatever else could be thrown at it. I need something that has some pockets on the outside, a decent sized interior pocket, and preferably maybe even a small pocket on the inside of the main area. The main area needs to be able to hold a towel, shoes, water bottle,change of clothes, and that kinda stuff. My dad has one by Tumi that he bought a few years back, but I don't see any sense in spending $600 or so on a bag, haha!

Right now I am looking at the 5.11 Side Trip Briefcase, but I think the interior pocket will be too small. So, if anyone has some experience in this area (have a good bag that you like, haha), please let me know!! :)

I have done a decent amount of Googling and have not found anything close to what I want so I figure y'all are the next best option! Thanks!!

AustinBR

Make your own luck
    Staff member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Oct 22, 2012
    Maybe look at a quality tool bag. Probably going to be tougher than any tactical bag around and without the tactical price.
    I did. Tactical / tacticool is certainly not a requirement. All of the tool type bags that I looked at just seemed poorly made. If you have a specific type that has worked for you or someone you know, I am all ears though :)

edman87k5

Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Oct 22, 2007
    Ventress, LA
    I have a couple of cheaper ones and a couple of quality ones, but cannot remember what the brand is. Next time I am in my shop I will look at them. Want to say the brand starts with work something though, maybe work wear or work tough?

blackwater26504

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 17, 2012
    cheap way go check out an old military surplus duffel bag. you can pick em for about 10 bucks a piece.

Expert684

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jul 24, 2011
    Lafayette
    Maybe take a look at Ogio, Pro Taper, Fox, MSR, O'Neal or some of the other motocross gear companies. A lot of that stuff is pretty durable.

RedStickChick

-Global Mod-
    Premium Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 6, 2012
    Baton Rouge
    Definitely looks like what you're looking for. I'm personally not a fan of big logos, but that's it.

Otherwise it looks good!

MOTOR51

Rating - 100%
    72   0   0
    Dec 23, 2008
    here
    I've owned a lot of Oakley products including several bags. The bags are nice but not really heavy duty.

MOTOR51

blackwater26504

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 17, 2012
    I've owned a lot of Oakley products including several bags. The bags are nice but not really heavy duty.

MOTOR51

that oakley bag will fall apart if you load it down to heavy. I like the glasses and gloves everything else is kinda blah.

Hattrick 22

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 13, 2011
    Kenner, Louisiana
    Fieldline tactical makes a bag that is somewhat up your ally I've used for a multitude of things a overnight bag, camping bag, laptop bag, book bag for a lot of my heavy med books I'm currently kicking around the idea of making it my B.O.B and possibly buying a second one since it comes in handy so much.

http://www.fieldline.com/main/tactical/alpha-ops-internal-frame-pack/1/13/44

My local wallyword has them for about 50 or so. It's pretty decent quality and is comparable the 5.11 stuff although its quality is not AS good it's pretty close IMO. I know it doesn't have to be tacticool or anything but it's been a pretty decent pack for me with the abuse I've given it.

They make some duffel bag type bags too. You be amazed at how much you can put in the one I linked though.

http://www.fieldline.com/Products/medium-ultimate-field-haul-duffle/29

Last edited:

SVTFreak

Huh?
    Rating - 100%
    34   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Galvez
    I've got a gate mouth 12x17x9 that I don't use. If you come get it I'll sell it to ya, 40$ fair? Very well built. Canvas. Use them for lunch bags and that one's just too big. They last year's with daily trips to work. Not water proof but a little rain won't go through them. Pockets outside and inside. Heavy duty zipper and opening reinforcement. Sells about 70$ new and this one is like new. Pm me.

http://m.grainger.com/mobile/details/?R=9GD09

03protege

#1 Stevel Spell II fan
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Nov 20, 2008
    Mandeville
    The midway range bag? I know it can get thrown around filled with pistolas and ammo and not fall apart.

Maxpedition probably has something that fits the bill but they won't let you get away with it for cheap.

And while the pocket requirement isn't met I will throw this out anyway as it is what I typically use for my car packs. http://www.sears.com/craftsman-13-i...0937537000P?prdNo=16&blockNo=16&blockType=G16

I have a variety of sizes but the one that is most heavily used is the 18" version which I use as a tool bag. I use this bag whenever I go to the junkyard and sometimes can have close to 40 lbs of tools in there. It's been loaded and unloaded, had car parts thrown in it, dropped on the gravel ground, and bounced around in the trunk (no carpet) and it still does not have a single thread fraying on it. This has been my go-to tool bag for 4-5 years.

D-DAY

The Bronx Bull
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 16, 2006
    Hammond
    Well, the good news is you have a lot to choose from. As mentioned before Maxpedition makes great products. They are a bit pricey but often can be had for 20% off or more from several retailers (LA Police Gear, eBay). Take a look at Blackhawks lineup too, they make some sturdy bags/packs also.

Not sure what size or how you actually want to carry when you must, but here are two good options for less than a bill.

http://www.lapolicegear.com/blprotrbagbl.html
    http://www.lapolicegear.com/mobbagblla.html

Top Bottom