Indiana Supreme Court public intoxication ruling

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • JR1572

Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    58   0   0
    Nov 30, 2008
    Madisonville, LA
    I just read the article from that website.

I agree with the ruling.

(I had another little bit written down here talking about the author's opinion being in the article. Apparently it was an editorial. I'm sorry. I still agree with the ruling.)

JR1572

Last edited:

Tulse Luper

Besmirched!
    Rating - 100%
    64   0   0
    Oct 29, 2008
    Metairie
    The lone dissenter.

rucker-2008.jpg

Rucker, J., dissenting.
    In affirming Moore’s conviction for public intoxication the majority relies primarily on this Court’s opinion in Miles v. State, 216 N.E.2d 847 (Ind. 1966). In that case we declared that a person parked alongside a highway was in a public place for purposes of the public intoxication statute. Id. at 849. I would revisit Miles and declare that it was wrongly decided. Predating Miles by several decades, this Court declared in State v. Sevier, 20 N.E. 245 (Ind. 1889) that “[t]he purpose of the [public intoxication statute] is to protect the public from the annoyance and deleterious effects which may and do occur because of the presence of persons who are in an intoxicated condition.” Id. at 246-47. It is difficult to perceive how this purpose is advanced by declaring that the inside of a closed vehicle traveling along a highway is a public place. Writing for the Court of Appeals in Jones v. State, Judge Barnes points out:
    It also is difficult to perceive the public policy behind criminalizing riding in (as opposed to driving) a private vehicle in a state of intoxication. In fact, perhaps the better public policy would be to encourage persons who find themselves intoxicated to ride in a vehicle to a private place without fear of being prosecuted for a crime.
    881 N.E.2d 1095, 1098 n.2 (Ind. Ct. App. 2008) (reversing conviction for public intoxication where defendant was sitting in a vehicle parked on private property). I agree. As this Court has declared “[g]iven the strong state and national interest of keeping persons who are intoxicated from operating motor vehicles, we think it sound policy to encourage sober drivers to get behind the wheel and not let their friends drive while drunk.” Smith v. Cincinnati Ins. Co., 790 N.E.2d 460, 462 (Ind. 2003). In this case Moore should not suffer a criminal penalty for taking the responsible action of allowing a sober friend to drive her car while she was too intoxicated to do so. I would reverse Moore’s conviction. Therefore I respectfully dissent.

Thanks, Justice Rucker

But hell, they are just interpreting the bad wording of laws written by half-wit, puritanical, negligent, Nazi legislators. I personally think it is they who should be tried, jailed, and forced to pay huge damages at the expense of their children and wives. Get the DA's rat ass in there as well. Too much?

James Cannon

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 31, 2010
    Laffy

I agree with the ruling.

(I had another little bit written down here talking about the author's opinion being in the article. Apparently it was an editorial. I'm sorry. I still agree with the ruling.)

JR1572

Care to expand on that? Skimming the article, I could find nothing to provide exceptional circumstances, and it appears that they did -simply- rule that being a drunk passenger is enough to be put under criminal charges.

What the **** could there be that someone would agree that they committed a crime!?

Bearco

Instructor
    Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Covington
    Here is the statute in question. Apparently, it is very popular in Indiana.

IC 7.1-5-1-3
    Public intoxication prohibited
    Sec. 3. It is a Class B misdemeanor for a person to be in a public place or a place of public resort in a state of intoxication caused by the person's use of alcohol or a controlled substance (as defined in IC 35-48-1-9)

Here is a much better outline of the ruling.
    http://www.theindianalawyer.com/hig...blic-intoxication-charge/PARAMS/article/26658

some of the split

The majority declined to reverse on this issue. “Whether conduct proscribed by a criminal law should be excused under certain circumstances on grounds of public policy is a matter for legislative evaluation and statutory revision if appropriate. The judicial function is to apply the laws as enacted by the legislature,” wrote Justice Brent Dickson for the majority in the decision issued June 28.

Justice Robert Rucker dissented, saying he would revisit Miles, in which the Supreme Court had held that a person parked along a highway was in a public place for purposes of the public intoxication statute, and declare it wrongly decided. In State v. Sevier, 20 N.E. 245 (Ind. 1889)

Pacioli

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 10, 2009
    Baton Rouge
    Here is the statute in question. Apparently, it is very popular in Indiana.

IC 7.1-5-1-3
    Public intoxication prohibited
    Sec. 3. It is a Class B misdemeanor for a person to be in a public place or a place of public resort in a state of intoxication caused by the person's use of alcohol or a controlled substance (as defined in IC 35-48-1-9)

Here is a much better outline of the ruling.
    http://www.theindianalawyer.com/hig...blic-intoxication-charge/PARAMS/article/26658

some of the split

Indiana has created a catch-22 for any consumer of alcohol. The only way to avoid prosecution is to abstain. This is back door prohibition.

James Cannon

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 31, 2010
    Laffy

I agree with the ruling.

JR1572
    No follow up explanation?

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    cajuntiger84
    Top Bottom