Info on a SWFA SS 5-20x50 tacticle with illuminated reticle

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ARshooter

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2010
    New Orleans area
    I posted a thread about 2 months ago asking for some advice on my next scope and it finally looks like I'll have the cash in about 2 weeks. First, I want to say thanks to all who replied and I have decided to go with a FFP. One of the scopes I'm looking at is an SWFA 5-20x50 SS and I was hoping someone has had some experience with one. It has over 100 MOA of available adjustment, illuminated FFP reticle and 4 inches of eye relief. I haven't been able to find much info on them, but everything I found has been positive so far. The clarity is supposed to be exceptional. One really important quality I'm looking for is a thin cross hair. Recently, I had a very accomplished shooter bring this to my attention….The thinner the cross hair, the smaller the groups. The cross hair of my current scope at full power of 16, covers up the bullet hole at 100 yards. It’s kind of hard to tell how heavy the cross hair is from SWFA’s website and I was hoping someone might know.

Another scope I was interested in is the Night Force NXS 5.5x22x50, but from looking at their website, it looks like they are SFP. Is this correct?

Anyway, I hope someone has some info on the above.

Thanks and Merry Christmas to everyone!

Ritten

SSST Mad Scientist
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Dec 8, 2007
    Thibodaux, Louisiana
    Great post ARshooter!! Here's what I've found over the years. It all comes down to what do you plan on doing with the scope.

Thinner crosshairs may make it easier for some to shoot smaller groups, but that varies by experience and preference. You don't always have to zero the scope so that the round his dead center of the reticle. A thick reticle can be zero'd so that the point of aim is actually in the corner of the lines rather than dead center.

That said, I shoot a Nightforce (SFP) scope for fixed distance competition and prefer the thinner crosshairs of that scope when zoomed in. It's less thinking I have to do when holding windeage during an F-class or FPR match. For sniper matches or field shooting where I don't have to have .5moa accuracy to clear a sequence of shots, the FFP US Optics provide an easy and fast shot placement, correction, and follow up shot. Both designs can be used successfully in either type of shooting, but I would get a scope set up for what you plan to shoot the majority of the time. I shot the USO for years in F-class with a max zoom of "ONLY" 17x, by the way.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Antho88
    Top Bottom