Info wanted on .357 max

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ppland

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    May 6, 2011
    ville platte
    I inadvertently ended up with 2 boxes of .357 max ammo. I thought I knew a lot of calibers/variants but never saw this one. Anybody got any thoughts, ideas, trivia. These are useless to me but man, I would love to shoot the gun that chambers that bad boy.

Leadfoot

Low Speed High Drag
    Rating - 100%
    104   0   0
    Mar 4, 2009
    Livingston Parish
    Ballistic performance from the .357 Max round is pretty incredible. A 170gr 9mm bullet moving at about 2,000 ft/s & 1500 ft/lbf of energy is a mean dude.

Too bad the flame cutting on the top strap of the revolvers it was chambered in was such that no manufacturers make one anymore.

If you can find a Ruger Blackhawk chambered in .357 Max, buy it. Only 400 were made.

highstandard40

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 14, 2009
    Prairieville
    It was originally chambered in a Ruger single action. The frame was longer to accomodate the longer cartridge. As Leadfoot said, there were issue with flame cutting of the top strap. Dan Wesson revolvers were chambered for it also and called a Super Mag. They suffered the same flame cutting. It was generally believed that the cutting would advance to a certain point and then stop, still within the limits of a safe firearm. There are a few still left around and are collectable. They were very popular with the Metallic Silhouette crowd. The cartridge still holds high favor with specialty handgun shooters and it is a popular chambering in the Thompson Contender single shot pistol. T/C no longer chambers it but it is readily available from custom barrel makers. It makes a fine handgun deer cartridge and many Contender Carbine barrels chambered in the 357 Max go afield for Primitive Weapon season.

Last edited:

headspace

*Banned*
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Feb 9, 2009
    Hammond
    My dad has a bull barreled target rifle in .357 max. and he reloads for it. I can ask him if he wants to purchase the ammo. If so, you got a price?

ppland

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    May 6, 2011
    ville platte
    Wow, thanks for the info. I love learning something new. Seems to be a badass round. As a lover of the .357 mag, I am in awe of it's raw power. .357 MAX... damn, that's got to be a trip shooting out of a hand gun.

ppland

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    May 6, 2011
    ville platte
    My dad has a bull barreled target rifle in .357 max. and he reloads for it. I can ask him if he wants to purchase the ammo. If so, you got a price?

No, I never thought about it. Talk to him and make an offer. I wanna keep one round however. I have a collection of odd/rare rounds that I wanna eventually make a display of.

Win1917

Win1917
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 13, 2009
    Lafayette
    I deer hunt with a 357 Max in a T/C Contender carbine and know of a few other guys in MS that do too. Last season using a 180 gr XTP over N120, took a medium sized buck no problem. One shot, two holes, and a blood trail a blind man could follow.

ppland

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    May 6, 2011
    ville platte
    I deer hunt with a 357 Max in a T/C Contender carbine and know of a few other guys in MS that do too. Last season using a 180 gr XTP over N120, took a medium sized buck no problem. One shot, two holes, and a blood trail a blind man could follow.
    Wow! Bout how far was the shot? Just curious.

highstandard40

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 14, 2009
    Prairieville
    Can one shoot 357 mag and 38 special from a firearm chambered in 357 max?

Technically yes, because the only difference in the external dimensions of 38 Special. 357 Magnum, and 357 Max is the length. You can also include 360 DW but it is even more rare than the 357 Max. It's not the best idea though. There is too long of a bullet jump from case mouth to chamber throat.

hunter5567

Monolithic Mentor
    Rating - 100%
    133   0   0
    Oct 9, 2006
    Denham Springs, LA. near B.R.
    It was factory loaded with 158gr and 180gr .357 bullets at around 1830fps and 1550fps respectively out of a handgun.
    I used to shoot it in a T/C Contender 14" and a Dan Wesson 8" barreled revolver. As was stated. a H&R Handirifle in 357Mag can easily be rechambered to it and you can fire 38's or 357's out of it. A 180gr bullet loaded in a 44 Magnum revolver will eclipse its power.
    The heavier bullet weights in the 357 Max will alleviate the flame cutting and bore erosion in the revolver and of course you didn't have that problem with the T/C Contender. You could get extra barrels for the Dan Wesson to alleviate that problem. H&R/NEF also had factory chambered barrels in the 357 Max. There was also a .445 Super Max and .41 Super Max.
    The 357 Max is easily loaded using 357 Magnum dies and so are the others using 44 Mag and 41 Mag dies. I believe there was also a 375 Max. They were also used for shooting Silhouettes.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Spydy
    Top Bottom