Injustice for Sgt. Jason Rolls

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Renegade

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 1, 2010
    Red Stick
    This is crazy!!! I can only guess they're doing this to him because the encounter was domestic in nature? :dunno:

One of America's Heroes, SGT Jason Rolls, is incarcerated due to the use of deadly force to protect his new wife on the day of their marriage. Jason's children are without a father today because of the injustice being dealt to the case. Under the “Stand-Your-Ground” adopted by the state of Louisiana, is to expressly relieve the home’s occupants of any duty to retreat or announce their intent to use deadly force before they can be legally justified in doing so to defend themselves. Further definition to the Stand-Your Ground law of Louisiana states exactly that the defender (Jason Rolls) has no duty or other requirement to abandon a place in which he has a right to be, or to give up ground to an assailant.

The evening of their marriage Twaila and Jason Rolls, newly married, were arisen to a loud banging on the door. A man entered their home uninvited. Twaila walked into the front room to find her ex-husband, Michael Hall, standing in the door way of the home, the door was open. After asking what he was doing at the home and then being asked to leave, he ignored the request and proceeded to ask if Jason was home. After a few bouts of arguing, Twaila told him to “get out NOW”. Michael grew angry, grabbed Twaila by the shoulders and threw her to the floor. Michael then proceeded to run into the living room at Jason. Twaila afraid for Jason was unable to do anything as Michael is much taller than Jason and about 80-pounds heavier. Twaila got up started walking toward the living room to hear a gun shot. Thinking the worst that Jason had been shot by Michael, she found that it had been Michael who had been shot by Jason in self defense. The altercation that happened between Jason and Michael during this time had led to Jason shooting a single shot in the chest of Michael Hall at close range. Michael Hall died.

The police report showed that there was a physical altercation at the residence between Jason Rolls and Michael Hall. The police report concluded that a single shot to the chest killed Michael Hall. It also displayed very bias information as Michael Hall was also a community firefighter.

Jason has been incarcerated for 248 days without trial. His right to a speedy trial or release has been denied. Jason Rolls did what any American husband and father would do and that is to protect his family and property. Under the Louisiana Stand-Your-Ground Law he did so justifiably. Police records and witness statements depict the night where a savage beating would have taken place with evidence of what was inflicted on Twaila Rolls upon Michael Hall entering the home. If action had not been taken, Jason Rolls could have been the one severely hurt, if not, dead. Many of Jason’s rights have been violated upon the proceeding of this case. Postponement of the case continues to keep a new husband from his wife and children without a father. It is time that this story becomes front news amidst the Martin/Zimmerman debates and proceedings. We need to remember that a true American Hero; one who served our country is the one who doesn’t deserve to sit in jail. He is the one who did what any true blue American man would do and instead being served a great injustice. It’s time to set Jason free or at the very least allow him the right to a trial so his family can move forward without sitting and waiting on the next corruption of the legal system in Louisiana.

http://ireport.cnn.com/docs/DOC-775632

gotabyte

Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 23, 2011
    Slidell, LA
    Which parishes sleazy PD and DA arredsted him to begin with. Seams like even a low-end attorney could tear up that corrupt parishes legal system over this constitutional injustice.

Yrdawg

*Banned*
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 24, 2006
    Big Woods
    Thats sad..and we always have to remember, the politics of liberals and power greedy LE is waiting. Rite Shoot or No...they will be there for ya

Citizens with guns scare them like they scare every power hungry group.

Booseman

In Vino Veritas
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Lake Charles
    Thank god dead men cant sue or testify, at least he has that going for him.

On a serious note, If I were him I would sit there quietly waiting for my exoneration and then sue the ever loving **** out of the Parish, city and the state. I am not a LEO but I am sure they are violating his civil rights. You cant say false arrest because probable cause is there. But, everything else after that, that is in question.

oleheat

Professional Amateur
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 18, 2009
    Is...... there more to this story we don't know about??

Guy barges into your domicile- completely uninvited- acting in an aggressive manner? Sounds more like a home invasion than anything else.......

Pale Horse

one quarter civilized
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    May 15, 2007
    West Monroe, LA
    Last edited:

Yrdawg

*Banned*
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 24, 2006
    Big Woods
    Which parishes sleazy PD and DA arredsted him to begin with. Seams like even a low-end attorney could tear up that corrupt parishes legal system over this constitutional injustice.

Would seem that this is not possible...however, just had a friend who decided to amaze some cops with how strong he was, they locked him up in Calcasieu where he spent 46 days w/o charges or a lawyer. Nada...sit here and do nuttin

Finally took him to court and the judge said wow u been here a while, you can go. End of story. Never had bail set, never charged, never arraigned...just held cuz he hit some cops.

My take is that while it's wrong in the way that it happened he is way better off than facing a charge of cop hitting. Plus he came out very sober. Jails are funny places, people get lost in them all the time.

Found this on the FB page

http://www.bayoushooter.com/forums/#Free Jason Rolls I'm going to clarify, Zimmerman is out because they 'said' he used self defense. He should be locked up! April 11 at 1:05pm via mobile · LikeUnlike

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Free-Jason-Rolls/105782276216809

I'm guessin this is the Sgt talking. Ok, we already don't agree.

Last edited:

gotabyte

Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 23, 2011
    Slidell, LA

Bosco

We are the hammer
    Rating - 100%
    56   0   0
    Sep 4, 2009
    Covington
    definitely a case of "the law isn't black and white"

if you have someone in your house for several hours arguing with them and you didn't call the cops it's a little hard to argue home invasion

Yrdawg

*Banned*
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 24, 2006
    Big Woods
    definitely a case of "the law isn't black and white"

if you have someone in your house for several hours arguing with them and you didn't call the cops it's a little hard to argue home invasion

I can't find where Hall was there more than a few minuets, just long enough to get shot by the new husband. Shame, one of my best friends is also my husband in law. You just have to talk and not get crazy.

Crashing into someone elses house ain't ever smart...have the BAC been released on either of the two ?? Betcha...

Bosco

We are the hammer
    Rating - 100%
    56   0   0
    Sep 4, 2009
    Covington
    oh i read "after a few bouts of arguing" as a "few hours of arguing" damn i need glasses :(

yea i can see that being a different scenario then

oleheat

Professional Amateur
    Premium Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 18, 2009
    Some of the news links on that FB page seem.....oddly anti-gun- especially the op-ed piece by Jarvis DeBerry (ears perked).

Has Louisiana made it so that a fleeing perpetrator can be killed legally? No, Southern University Law Center's Michelle Ghetti said Friday. Even after the legislation of 2006, she said, "There's nothing in Louisiana law that would allow you to fire shots at someone fleeing."

Yes- but what is your definition of "fleeing", Michelle?:rolleyes: I mean, an armed robber walking away with a gun in his hand is no longer a threat to your life- right, Michelle? I mean- there's NEVER been a case where the armed robber suddenly decides to turn around and shoots his victim- right, Michelle???

Last edited:

Phr0st

Whats a custom user title
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 14, 2011
    Holden, LA
    This story is sickening to say the least. All about who you know I guess, hopefully this poor guy will sue the vaginas off of this PD/City/State.

Last edited:

Hardballing

Rating - 100%
    38   0   0
    Jan 8, 2010
    Metairie, LA
    Don't know shooter, shootee, or anyone else to my knowledge in Krotz Springs but...who is this guy going to sue?

PD, DA, et al ALL have immunity IIRC under LA laws. There is probable cause in this case and unfortunately, in LA, if your case moves slowly, too freaking bad. Unless he can PROVE some type of connection/collusion between the deceased, deceased's family and LEO's/DA/etc where a possible civil rights violation issue can be raised, I'm afraid that civil remedy is not going to happen here.

Sucks to be sure, but it is what it is. Sue the cops? Hey, there was a homocide with probable cause, we arrested. Sue the DA? Hey, there was probable cause, we don't believe certain elements of the accused story, so we requested no bond, the judge agreed. Sue the judge? Lots of luck with that one too. Sue the parish for lack of speed to trial? Hope you got LOTS of bucks, cause that one is going to be won/lost on appeal somewhere up the line, not at the initial court hearing your suit (if it doesn't get tossed).

Have been a fan, for awhile (even as LEO) of either modifying immunity laws for criminal justice professionals or removing them entirely in certain circumtances. The power of the state is just HUGE against the individual and unfortunately, the honorable thing gets tossed aside far too often to "pay back" a citizen for something other than a broken law. Our Founders knew that and it USED to be that the power resided with the individual. We voted too many folks into office who have changed that equation over the years and it will be years, if ever, before it comes back into balance.

Just my .02.

I am struck with how different this might have turned out if initially, instead of entering the room to investigate the sound, a 911 call had been placed. Or instead of talking with her ex, the wife was calling 911. Or when the wife was speaking with the ex, the husband was dialing 911. Didn't get that part from the story (if I missed it, sorry) but he said/she said/he's dead has MANY components when LEO's arrive and the accused's service record ain't one of them. Just saying.

Mjolnir

*Banned*
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 12, 2009
    Baton Rouge, LA
    There is the current state of the legal system: Who Do You Know in some circumstances.

Ignore evidence? Check
    Protect the Politically Connected? Check

Sounds like another emotionally charged case in FL...

Top Bottom