Instructor accidentally shot by 9 y/o girl with Uzi, dies

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Hitman

® ™
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Sep 4, 2008
    Lake Charles
    76512-cowboy-shaking-head-NO-gif-UxZI.gif

US Infidel

TRUST NO ONE
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 30, 2012
    Earth
    Wow. Sad. Of course if feel bad for his family, but the poor girl will be messed up by this accident that is not at all her fault.

noob

enthusiast
    Silver Member
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    New Orleans
    I'm a 30 year old, and get a little timid every time i shoot full auto. Thought crosses my mind, what if i shoot my left hand (apparently common in full auto macs). So yea, I don't know what he was thinking letting a small 9 year old girl shoot full auto. TOO many things could have gone wrong. Sad someone's life was loss, but man what a bad idea.

Mojo Rider

Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Jun 22, 2011
    Denham Springs
    Similar horrible situation happened a few years back at a "Full Auto Family Shoot". The instructor put an Uzi in the hands of a young boy around the age of 7 IIRC and as you can imagine the Uzi walked up and caught the young lad in the chin killing him instantly while his father filmed the incident.

noob

enthusiast
    Silver Member
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    New Orleans
    Similar horrible situation happened a few years back at a "Full Auto Family Shoot". The instructor put an Uzi in the hands of a young boy around the age of 7 IIRC and as you can imagine the Uzi walked up and caught the young lad in the chin killing him instantly while his father filmed the incident.

I remember that.

Lets make a PSA: Small children and inexperienced shooters should avoid Full Auto and large bore pistols like the S&W500

hkump

Rating - 100%
    315   0   0
    Jan 6, 2013
    Covington, LA
    That is sad. I know that he was trying to be nice and all that, but common sense should rule every time around firearms, especially when dealing with a full auto weapon around an inexperienced person. A lot of adults can barely handle a full auto weapon. A kid should not even be allowed to try full auto. Sad, overall.

323MAR

Silver Member
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 15, 2014
    New Oeleans LA
    The magazine should have been loaded with only three rounds and the child was too young for the MG anyway. I would NEVER even train an adult with a FULL magazine.
    The child should have only been firing a .22 caliber.

tim9lives

Tim9
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 12, 2010
    New Orleans
    WTH was he thinking.

I do feel for the family of the deceased and the child who will be forever scarred....yet I can't help but think... Darwin at work.

kingfhb

NRA & USCCA INST. w/ LSP#
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Mar 28, 2014
    New Orleans, LA
    So I'm assuming just from the very limited facts in the article (video is blocked at my employer) that she was firing a larger caliber than just a .22lr? Also firing the weapon in "single shot mode"? I will have to watch the video this evening.

What kind of a damn fool instructor puts a possibly full auto weapon in the hands of a 9 year old? Not even that she's 9... but ANY inexperienced shooter... much less someone you're TRAINING on how to fire a weapon.

This is a problem with some of these so called "Instructors". They feel like they have full control over the situation and are under this safety blanket because they know more than the shooter... however it's ALWAYS a misconception on a number of levels. I've seen instructors that are gung-ho and feel like as long as they're there, nothing could go wrong. Cocky and complacent is all that is.

1. Always assume the shooter knows NOTHING about the firearm or firearm safety... period. I don't care if they SAY they've fired a million rounds prior... if that was the case, they wouldn't need an instructor!
    2. Never give a new shooter a fully loaded (much less full auto) weapon. If it's the shooters first time, ONE ROUND to allow the shooter to understand the weapon and the forces produced by the round. Work your way up from there based on the comfort level of the shooter (and the instructor).
    3. You're the "Expert"... show it! Every safety rule/precaution should be inforced and followed at all times.
    4. NEVER put yourself in a compromised position to a shooter where they could do harm to you, anyone else or themselves.
    5. Always assume every situation is UNSAFE! If something can go wrong... IT WILL!

He paid the price for the foolish decision to allow a green 9 year old to fire that weapon (and caliber).

This reminds me of the woman who accidentally shot herself in the head at the range firing a .500 Smith & Wesson revolver. Imagine if this had happened to that 9 year old... or someone's elses son or daughter?

I wonder if negligence negates the liability waiver?

Last edited:

Emperor

Seriously Misunderstood!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 7, 2011
    Nether region
    Okay, let me see if I have this correct. It's okay to show blasted, blown apart, tortured, and shot bodies awash with rivers of blood from foreign shitholes on the news; but we need to cut away this video which shows a complete and total accidental shooting?

Got it! Check!

What a bunch of holier than thou scumbags we are over here.

tim9lives

Tim9
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 12, 2010
    New Orleans
    The other thing that jumps out at me when watching this video is that the instructor is standing next to her. Maybe it's just me...but whenever I was showing anyone how to shoot a firearm...I stood behind them...with my hands also holding the firearm.
    And that was with a rifle or a handgun. I just can't imagine letting a very small framed 9 y/o girl fire a full auto Uzi.

FWIW...this reminds me of that other case when the young child was firing a S&W 500 magnum....And I think it did a double fire. Correct me if wrong...but in that case the person firing that handgun blew their own head off ??

kingfhb

Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Mar 28, 2014
    New Orleans, LA
    So... from another article I read regarding the shooting... the instructor had her fire a single shot. That was her first time ever firing the weapon. Then immediately he had her switch to FULL AUTO (?!??!?) to fire off a burst.

I know grown me who can't properly control a full-sized fully auto weapon (any caliber) much less a 9 year old with one slightly bigger than a pistol. Total disregard for range safety. She could have EASILY taken out a LOT more shooters, bystanders, range personnel, etc. or even herself.

Last edited:

Hitman

® ™
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Sep 4, 2008
    Lake Charles
    So I'm assuming just from the very limited facts in the article (video is blocked at my employer) that she was firing a larger caliber than just a .22lr? Also firing the weapon in "single shot mode"? I will have to watch the video this evening.

I really couldn't find the words yesterday,
    so that image was all I could muster. :/

It's also a dead-horse topic(Super Safety) for most of us here anyway
    but I'll expound some. Just...in...case....

Looked like a Mini Uzi.
    She's right handed, he's standing to her left and not behind her.
    His hand is actually under the gun. I'm assuming more worried about her dropping it
    than recoil control. I'm surprised she actually didn't shoot her own arm. Might have had no more rounds.
    She looks like she's about 50 lbs.
    He tells her to squeeze off one round. She does.
    He then switches the selector to Full Auto.
    He tells her to 'Pull on it" >she instantly pulls the trigger
    and the gun instantly comes loose from her support hand(The very first round pushed the gun out of her hand)
    and the recoil drives the gun hard left into (Video Ends) I'm assuming his chest
    but if recoil was pushing upwards too(likely)
    could have been his face/head.

When she pulls the trigger on Full Auto everything I wrote above
    happens in (as best as I can estimate) 00.38 of a second
    and then you hear the gun hit the deck and someone screaming.
    Possibly the little girl who now has to face that for the rest of her life.

Video doesn't show the bullets impacting him. Ends just before.

This is the kind of stupidity that will further scrutinize the ownership of NFA Firearms.

I'm not naive or bolstering here on my own ability to be safe with firearms.
    I understand accidents can and do happen, especially with inexperienced shooters and children
    but this is not an accident like a trip or fall with a loaded gun.
    This is negligence by the instructor.

I'm no Firearm instructor either, but my Family thinks I am when we're shooting
    b/c of how I talk, prep them and position myself while were shooting....and they're adults.

With kids, I'm extra cautious. They sit in my lap, if on the table I'm behind them.
    If standing with a pistol I'm behind them, sometimes like with my son firing his first pistol shot
    I helped him support the recoil of the Walther P22(if you can imagine)
    by pretty much mirroring his arms and grasp of the gun.

All these things are common sense to most of us.

And for Heaven's Sake......inexperienced shooters(child or adult)
    only get ONE ROUND AT A TIME!!!

...regardless of the firearm being used.

Sequence of events;

6d9zmpndxclxybrwrf.jpg

wx35kybtwlrtmijlw.jpg

dhr5oaa5ftyx4maqavt.jpg

Last edited:

kingfhb

Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Mar 28, 2014
    New Orleans, LA
    I really couldn't find the words yesterday,
    so that image was all I could muster. :/

It's also a dead-horse topic(Super Safety) for most of us here anyway
    but I'll expound some. Just...in...case....

Looked like a Mini Uzi.
    She's right handed, he's standing to her left and not behind her.
    His hand is actually under the gun. I'm assuming more worried about her dropping it
    than recoil control. I'm surprised she actually didn't shoot her own arm. Might have had no more rounds.
    She looks like she's about 50 lbs.
    He tells her to squeeze off one round. She does.
    He then switches the selector to Full Auto.
    He tells her to 'Pull on it" >she instantly pulls the trigger
    and the gun instantly comes loose from her support hand(The very first round pushed the gun out of her hand)
    and the recoil drives the gun hard left into (Video Ends) I'm assuming his chest
    but if recoil was pushing upwards too(likely)
    could have been his face/head.

When she pulls the trigger on Full Auto everything I wrote above
    happens in (as best as I can estimate) 00.38 of a second
    and then you hear the gun hit the deck and someone screaming.
    Possibly the little girl who now has to face that for the rest of her life.

Video doesn't show the bullets impacting him. Ends just before.

This is the kind of stupidity that will further scrutinize the ownership of NFA Firearms.

I'm not naive or bolstering here on my own ability to be safe with firearms.
    I understand accidents can and do happen, especially with inexperienced shooters and children
    but this is not an accident like a trip or fall with a loaded gun.
    This is negligence by the instructor.

I'm no Firearm instructor either, but my Family thinks I am when we're shooting
    b/c of how I talk, prep them and position myself while were shooting....and they're adults.

With kids, I'm extra cautious. They sit in my lap, if on the table I'm behind them.
    If standing with a pistol I'm behind them, sometimes like with my son firing his first pistol shot
    I helped him support the recoil of the Walther P22(if you can imagine)
    by pretty much mirroring his arms and grasp of the gun.

All these things are common sense to most of us.

And for Heaven's Sake......inexperienced shooters(child or adult)
    only get ONE ROUND AT A TIME!!!

...regardless of the firearm being used.

Sequence of events;

6d9zmpndxclxybrwrf.jpg

wx35kybtwlrtmijlw.jpg

dhr5oaa5ftyx4maqavt.jpg

Great observations and input! Thanks Hitman.

Top Bottom