Integral suppressed AR

The Best online firearms community in Louisiana.

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Mayonnaise

Not in the fridge
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 29, 2012
    Baton Rouge
    What's the verdict on integrally suppressed AR's? The post about the MP22 got me thinking. I'm not crazy about hanging a suppressor off the end of an already long 16inch barrel.

Are there any advantages/disadvantages to integral suppressors? Is it even possible on the AR platform or do you need a piston upper?

Mayonnaise

Not in the fridge
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 29, 2012
    Baton Rouge
    The whole point is to only get one stamp. Plus SBR's don't really do anything for me. I don't really enjoy shooting them, and they make way too much noise.

JNieman

Dush
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 11, 2011
    Lafayette
    The /only/ benefit is one-stamp. Full stop. Any other benefit is also shared by a two-stamp setup. There are drawbacks to an integral, and there are benefits gained by having a separate suppressor.

I don't see why someone would pay a few grand, all said and done, and be so picky about $200 for a second stamp, when they could have the freedom to use that can on other guns. The only exception I can think of is for purpose-built integrals or historic recreations like integrally suppressed sterlings, or true-to-form integral MP5s or something.

JWG223

Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Aug 16, 2011
    Shreveport
    The /only/ benefit is one-stamp. Full stop. Any other benefit is also shared by a two-stamp setup. There are drawbacks to an integral, and there are benefits gained by having a separate suppressor.

I don't see why someone would pay a few grand, all said and done, and be so picky about $200 for a second stamp, when they could have the freedom to use that can on other guns. The only exception I can think of is for purpose-built integrals or historic recreations like integrally suppressed sterlings, or true-to-form integral MP5s or something.

Some states that allow suppressors do not allow SBR's. That is the only actual benefit I can think of.

Mayonnaise

Not in the fridge
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 29, 2012
    Baton Rouge
    AR SBR's eat suppressors up. Yes some of the manuf. offer cans with warranty on a 10.5. barrel.

An integral 223 would bring the suck.

Ah. I didn't even think about that. Are any other options available to suppress a 16 inch barrel and still keep the length down without having to get a stamp for the lower?

rockmup

Please be my friend
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   0
    Apr 21, 2007
    City of Central
    Ah. I didn't even think about that. Are any other options available to suppress a 16 inch barrel and still keep the length down without having to get a stamp for the lower?

A reflex style can would serve your purpose and only add about 4-5". I don't know anyone who makes one though.

kcinnick

Training Ferrous Metal
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Dec 24, 2008
    Baton Rouge
    I have a Liberty Constitution. You don't notice the can when you are shooting, or at least I don't. Even on my light weight rifle and M&P 15-22.

Mayonnaise

Not in the fridge
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 29, 2012
    Baton Rouge
    Someone needs to make a barrel with a permanently attached core with the threads further down on the barrel. That would solve my issue.

Edit. I didn't catch rockmup's post about a reflex style can. Ops inc is the only one I've ever seen. I've read it wasn't that great.

Last edited:

JNieman

Dush
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 11, 2011
    Lafayette
    Someone needs to make a barrel with a permanently attached core with the threads further down on the barrel. That would solve my issue.

Edit. I didn't catch rockmup's post about a reflex style can. Ops inc is the only one I've ever seen. I've read it wasn't that great.
    I've done that on a .50 barrel, but it only works if the barrel profile suits it, or you start with a barrel blank. In my case, there was an extra boss at a convenient location on the barrel, that was not used by the rifle for any conceivable purpose, if I remember correctly. So I threaded it and made an end cap for a custom can. It was a reflex design that worked pretty good. Anyone that shot the bolt-action 50BMG AR15 upper at the RJF Birthday Bash this past year - that was it.

The problem you'd have with an AR15 barrel is that there isn't much of any meat you'd be able to sacrifice as for threading, I don't think. Plus, unless you /really/ wanna spend money, I doubt you want to get into a one-off can. What's the point in spending big bucks on a custom can, to save $200 on a stamp? Assuming SBR's are allowed, that is. I don't know if we're talking about Louisiana, or just in-general, so I'll keep that in mind.

JNieman

Dush
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 11, 2011
    Lafayette
    It's not necessarily about the $200 for the SBR stamp. It's mostly just because I want to.
    Ah, well I can't disagree with that. "Cuz I wanna" is all you gotta say. I try to sit on a "cuz I wanna" decision for a while before doing it to make sure I don't spend money on something I only think is neat for a week.

Top Bottom